Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Not receiving sms from home alarm system, was working for one day, now nothing

Userlevel 1
I have an iRisco home alarm system which always sent notifications to me when I was on Bell using the number@txt.bell.ca gateway. Switched to Koodo using the number@msg.telus.com gateway. Worked great for one day, now nothing. Tried the Koodo gateway and still nothing. Switched back to Telus gateway and still nothing. Using an iPhone 6s. Tried various combinations of iMessage, SMS, MMS, on/off. The day that it worked was with iMessage off, MMS off, SMS on. My cellular data is always on, I have a prepaid Koodo account with lots of data and talk minutes. I tired many iPhone iOS 9 troubleshooting tips and still nothing. I receive texts from other iPhone and non-Phones users without issues. I suspect Koodo/Telus has my iRisco alarm sender in it's spam database??? Any assistance is much appreciated, Hoping to be a happy Koodo convert, Ed

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If it worked great for one day, I find it difficult to say that the problem is because it's considered as spam. If it would've, the problem would've been there from day one, no? It's just a suggestion.

As for how to make it work, try sending a message via your e-mail to your phone see if the adress works correctly. Also, do you still have a Bell phone in your house. Try putting it back to a Bell ceelphone to see if the problem is still there or not.

Do you have the iRisco application?
Userlevel 1
Just set my iRisco alarm to notify a friends Bell iphone and it worked. She got a notification when I set the alarm and another when I disarmed the alarm. Still nothing on my Koodo. I also sent an email to number@msg.telus.com and I received a text on my Koodo instantly. I am suspecting the spam since some spam filters determine spam based on frequency and content from the same source. The iRisco is an iPhone app and also a web page called iRisco Cloud
Userlevel 1
The URL is https://www.riscocloud.com/ELAS/WebUI. Btw, I like your troubleshooting tips, you suggested two tests I didn't think of.
Userlevel 1
Just changed my home alarm to send a notification to number@pcs.rogers.com and it worked. So Rogers works (number@pcs.rogers.com), Bell works (number@txt.bell.ca), Telus does not work (number@msg.telus.com), Koodo does not work (number@msg.koodomobile.com). I used my iPhone 6 with a friends bell sim and another friends Rogers sim so it appears to be a Telus/Koodo SMS Gateway issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ed Kelly wrote:

Just changed my home alarm to send a notification to number@pcs.rogers.com and it worked. So Roge...

I've asked someone to look into this. Hopefully it'll get resolved soon.
Userlevel 1
Ed Kelly wrote:

Just changed my home alarm to send a notification to number@pcs.rogers.com and it worked. So Roge...

Much appreciated Ivan, for me, home alarm notifications is a major reason for carrying a cell phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ed Kelly wrote:

I've received word from Koodo. Apparently, the system is showing that texts were delivered, but your phone doesn't seem to display them for some strange reason. A suggestion was made to reboot your phone.

I'd take it a step further since you're using an iPhone. Please do the following:

Go to: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Your phone will reboot and you'll lose any saved WiFi passwords, but the rest of your personal information will remain intact. Please let us know if your problem is resolved by this.
Userlevel 1
I powered off and on the iPhone, didn't work. Did a hard reset, didn't work. Reset the network settings, didn't work. In all three tests notifications went to iPhones of friends on Bell and Rogers, but not my Koodo iPhone 6. I even checked to ensure I wasn't blocking the Koodo SMS texts.
Userlevel 1
I just inserted a friends bell sim in my iPhone. I got text alerts from my alarm via hernumber@txt.bell.ca. Put my Koodo sim back in and I do not get text alerts from my alarm sent to mynumber@msg.telus.com. Wouldn't this test rule out the problem being with my iPhone? As mentioned earlier on in this thread, I've done this test before on my iPhone using Bell and Rogers sims belonging to friends.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ed Kelly wrote:

I just inserted a friends bell sim in my iPhone. I got text alerts from my alarm via [url=mailto:...

Though number@msg.telus.com should work, have you tried number@msg.koodomobile.com? The employee that looked into this was able to successfully deliver email-to-text to Koodo prepaid for both. When he looked into your account, he saw no messages being blocked (all said delivered - which happens only if your phone confirms receipt of the message). His suggestion was to contact your alarm company if none of these suggestions worked.

Do you know anyone else with a Koodo/Telus line? I'm curious if this problem is network-wide or specific to your account.
Userlevel 1
Ed Kelly wrote:

I just inserted a friends bell sim in my iPhone. I got text alerts from my alarm via [url=mailto:...

Tried number@msg.koodomobile.com and it did not work. Actually, I've tried several of the free web SMS text sites and received all texts sent to my number with Telus as the provider. If I selected Koodo as the provider I never got any of the texts. I will search around for someone with a Koodo/Telus line to see if my alerts go to their phones. Don't think there would be any point contacting my alarm company since your Koodo source said the messages were received at the Telus gateway and delivered to my iPhone. Is the Koodo employee able to confirm the actual text from the alarm was received at the gateway and delivered to my phone or that there were texts in general bring delivered to my phone, because I am getting other SMS texts, just not the alarm notifications. I thank you for the time and effort you put into this, much appreciated. I really like the Koodo prepaid, if only I can get this alarm notification solved it would be even better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ed Kelly wrote:

Do you happen to have data blocked? Messages to (number)@msg.koodomobile.com go through as mms, not sms.
Userlevel 1
Ed Kelly wrote:

Yup, cellular data on, iMessage on, the send as SMS is on, and MMS is on, show subject field is off, character count is off, nothing blocked. Tried various combinations of iMessage, SMS, MMS on/off
Userlevel 1
Ed Kelly wrote:

I am wondering if the Koodo/Telus gateways are getting false text delivered status? My iPhone with Bell and Rogers sims work flawlessly, and test text messages from txt2day and freetxt.ca are delivered very quickly as is the case with my alarm notifications. With the Koodo sim in I receive all test text sent to Telus gateway, delayed but I do get them within 15 minutes. Test texts sent to Koodo gateway is much slower and delivery is sporadic. I am perplexed that my iPhone works with the Bell and Rogers sims, not the Koodo. The iPhone settings are the same, only thing changing is the sim.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ed Kelly wrote:

If it's not too inconvenient, take the phone to a Koodo boutique to have it tested with one of their SIMs, and then have it tried with your SIM in another phone. That will narrow it down to the SIM or a Koodo system problem elsewhere. A replacement SIM is only $5 if I recall and might solve your issue.
Userlevel 1
Ed Kelly wrote:

Will try that, there is a Koodo/Telus location close to me in Sydney Nova Scotia. The closest Koodo Shop is 5 hours away in Halifax. The Koodo/Telus in Sydney indicates they sell prepaid but not phone repair or prepaid sims, so not sure if they can assist. In the meantime I just located an unlocked iPhone 5s, will try that with my sim. Tried friends Bell and Rogers in my unlocked iPhone 6s but this will be the first test with my Koodo sim in another iPhone.
Userlevel 1
Ed Kelly wrote:

Put my Koodo sim in a friends unlocked iPhone 5s and symptoms are identical. So, another indication it may not be the phone, possibly something to do with Koodo sim and or Koodo/Telus SMS/MMS gateway.
Userlevel 1
Ed Kelly wrote:

It would be nice if a Koodo employee would enter this thread and investigate what is happening to the SMS and/or MMS notifications being sent from my iRisco home alarm system to msg.koodomobile.com, mms.telusmobility.com, and msg.telus.com. I still suspect they are not being sucessfully delivered to my phone. If Rogers, Bell, and Eastlink sims in my unlocked iPhone allow me to get my SMS alarm notifications from my home alarm and my Koodo sim does not, then what other conclusion can I come to?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ed Kelly wrote:

I'd try another SIM at the Koodo location first. If that fails, I'd contact Koodo directly and ask to speak to higher-level technical support.
Userlevel 1
Ed Kelly wrote:

Well, I would but the nearest Koodo Shop is a five hour drive. The local Telus here does not supply or sell prepaid sims, only prepaid Koodo phones. They told me I need to go to a Koodo Shop.
Userlevel 1
[quote=Ed Kelly]I just inserted a friends bell sim in my iPhone. I got text alerts from my alarm via https://mailto:...[/quote

Quote from Dennis "Koodo said they added the IP to the trusted list. Give it a try to see if that improves things."

I tested numerous times today and issue is resolved.

Thanks to all who helped solve this issue,

Now a happy Koodo customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ed Kelly wrote:

@Ed Kelly
    Thanks for posting the steps you researched and tested in finally arriving at a solution. Such sharing makes forums such as this one beneficial to more than just the immediate participants. I, for one appreciated the patience and persistence you showed to arrive at a solution.