Koodo Community

Community

New - U.S. Roaming Boosters add-ons available for Prepaid Customers

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Prepaid customers can now stay connected while travelling in the U.S. by adding any of the following Booster add-ons: 

• U.S. Roaming Talk - includes calls within the U.S. and to Canada.
  • U.S. Roaming Text - includes international outgoing and unlimited incoming text messages*
  • U.S. Roaming Data 
Here’s a breakdown of the add-on options:

[b]Talk booster add-ons:
  • $20/250 minutes
  • $5/25 minutes
[b]Text booster add-ons:
  • $20/1,000 messages
  • $5/250 messages
[b]Data booster add-ons:
  • $20/500 mb
  • $5/50 mb
[b]Note - if you're a prepaid customer and looking to use your phone in the U.S., you will have to purchase one of, or a combination of, the boosters above. Pay-per-use is not available with Koodo prepaid.

[b]Additional information:
  • Roaming coverage is available in all 50 States in the U.S. (including Alaska/Hawaii) plus the U.S. territories of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • Any unused minutes, text or data will be carried over when customers renew their base plan (pick the largest Booster add-ons to enjoy the best rate).
  • Customers can get these Booster add-ons via prepaidselfserve.koodomobile.com 
  • *Includes international text messages when travelling within the U.S. 
  • MMS messages (picture and video) will use data, not texts. 
  • Excludes premium messages and subscriptions based messages.

40 replies

Just want to clarify this. If I'm in US and call a Canada number, 1 min call deduct 1 min or more? And how about receive a call from Canada?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jackie wrote:

Just want to clarify this. If I'm in US and call a Canada number, 1 min call deduct 1 min or more...

IF you buy this plan, 1 minute is 1 minute in either case for calls made or received in the USA.

Jackie wrote:

Just want to clarify this. If I'm in US and call a Canada number, 1 min call deduct 1 min or more...

I purchased the txt and talk booster add on. But there was no service when i was in washington state today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jackie wrote:

Did you enable roaming as well?
Jackie wrote:

Does talk and txt need to enable roaming? iPhone 6?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jackie wrote:

Yes, it does, on any phone... roaming must be enabled in order to use your phone outside of Canada. Next time you know and it'll work 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jackie wrote:

Caution: if you turn on DATA roaming on your iPhone, you still may not have solved the problem.

Another user found that he had to manually choose AT&T in the carrier settings in his phone.
Jackie wrote:

How do I do this in carrier settings?
so on iPhone, settings/cellular/cellular data options/data roaming ON? even if i didn't buy US roaming data? I will try it next time.

thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Yan wrote:

so on iPhone, settings/cellular/cellular data options/data roaming ON? even if i didn't buy US ro...

For it to work, you would need to have a booster purchased before going there!
Userlevel 2
Lisa Yan wrote:

so on iPhone, settings/cellular/cellular data options/data roaming ON? even if i didn't buy US ro...

I find that as a person that chose prepaid because I don't use it often enough to warrant monthly charges,  Koodo is very inconsiderate of users such as myself.
I find myself reading pages of comments (for which I AM grateful) in order to find the simplest of answers to a question.
My question is this and if someone....KOODO maybe even could do a courteous service of putting the instructions on the actual page where you buy the prepaid U.S. boosters, it really would be wonderful.  I'm a senior citizen that is fairly tech savy, but first you have to find the information!

Would someone please advise with my MotoG and my U.S. boosters for text phone and data how I activate this when I cross the border.  I live in the Okanagan and cross into Oroville from Osoyoos.  It is for emergency use when travelling for the most part.   A simple step by step would be appreciated.  I see here a couple of comments that confuse me.  I believe someone said you have to turn your phone off and on again after crossing the border. Other comments seem to say just turn the automatic switch off and choose from a list of carriers.

Some final and clear information would be appreciated....Something that I can carry in my wallet for reference.

Thanks very much in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Yan wrote:

Since I am not with prepaid, I'll try to explain as good as I can. I believe you would need to purchase the booster the same way your purchase normal talk and text boosters. Do you know how to do that?

Here's how

Anytime you need more anytime minutes, long distance minutes, or data, just add a booster. You can do so by logging into Prepaid Self Serve or dialing *611 on your phone (it's a free call!). You'll need to top up your account balance if you have insufficient service credits to purchase your selected boosters.

Source -> http://help.koodomobile.com/prepaid/boosters/how-do-i-purchase-a-booster

More info here : http://help.koodomobile.com/prepaid/coverage-long-distance-and-traveling/what-are-my-prepaid-options...
Userlevel 2
Lisa Yan wrote:

Thank you for the response.  Yes, I have no problems with the purchasing. I have purchased all three addtional boosters for the U.S..  it is great that they don't expire either, but my problem is how to go about activating them when I cross out of Canada into the U.S.   I know my Koodo plans in Canada won't work in U.S. and was soooo pleased when they introduced these new boosters for travel in the U.S. which enables the phone to be used once across the border.   As I said, what do I have to do to make it work so the phone knows that I'm in the U.S. and want/need to use one of their carriers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Yan wrote:

If it does not work when you cross the border, i.e. can't make calls or access data, the first step is to restart your phone. If that does not bring up services, then entering settings, and switching the carrier setting from Automatic, and manually selecting from the list that populates either  AT&T or (I think) T-Mobile should get it working. It may again require a restart after this step.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Yan wrote:

In most cases this would not be needed as it will magically work by itself.
Userlevel 2
Lisa Yan wrote:

Thank you so much for your answers.  So simple and concise.  Wonder why Koodo can't give those instructions on the website with the booster add-ons.    Thanks again. I'm printing the comments and keeping in my wallet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Yan wrote:

Gloria, partly because the community knowledge differs from Koodo's corporate knowledge, and partly because, as Robert says - it SHOULD work like magic, and we are offering a work-around!
Enjoy  your travels, and thanks from all of us for your kind reply.

I bought the txt/talk US roaming add on. But I didn't buy the data roaming add on. That's why i was confused on why data roaming had to be on to use txt/talk in the states. The phone showed no service in the states
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Yan wrote:

I bought the txt/talk US roaming add on. But I didn't buy the data roaming add on. That's why i w...

It's a bit confusing, but enabling (data) roaming will enable talk and text as well. Don't worry, if you didn't buy a data booster, you won't be charged for data (or able to use it) 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Yan wrote:

I bought the txt/talk US roaming add on. But I didn't buy the data roaming add on. That's why i w...

Next time try going to Settings > Carrier > and turn off the 'Automatic' switch. once the list populates, choose AT&T to see what happens.  You could possibly test it out while having a meal in White Rock!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lisa Yan wrote:

You may get signal bars but "emergency calls only" and be unable to complete calls until you manually choose AT&T in carrier settings. You should then see the roaming icon in your notification area.
Lisa Yan wrote:

i chose at&t, and i bought data roaming and talk plan for the us, why my phone still shows no service? 
Lisa Yan wrote:

Did you try turning your phone off and on to reset?
Your new prepaid US roaming add-on has an typo that makes the information incorrect and annoying. The text under nitty gritty point number 7 reads

“Data Booster add-ons are not available with BlackBerry smartphones and are not on the BlackBerry 10 operating system.”
 The correct text is on the same page under nitty gritty item 3, which reads,
“Picture messaging is not supported by BlackBerry smartphones that are not on the BlackBerry 10 operating system.”
(See nitty gritty items 3 and 7 on https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans.)
The word “that” (in item 3) has been changed to “and” (in item 7). I see that this mistake was pointed out previously and corrected, but now the error has been reintroduced.
The same mistake is on the prepaid flyer I picked up at a kiosk today. The flyer is document KAQ416PREPBRA01E dated November 2016.
Note that even if the error is corrected, the statement is no longer true, since the current generation of Blackberrys are Android. So the information needs to be both corrected and updated. My two phones are a Blackberry 10 and a Blackberry Android. As worded it is incorrect for both of them.

I have a prepaid Koodoo phone and want to use it in Mexico for texting only. Will the US Roaming text booster( 5$/250 texts) work for me in Mexico? I have a Canadian data booster added to my account. Do I need to be concerned about data being used up from that when I enable data roaming? I have an older LG P500 phone, what settings do I need to do in order for the texting to work in Mexico?