Koodo Community

Community

Solved

New Manitoba Coverage Area

Coverage after the new Telus / BellMTS sharing agreement.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
http://choosehappy.koodomobile.com/network?INTCMP=KMNew_ChooseHappy_OurNetwork_CompareCoverage

Click on Check out our detailed coverage map
You answered too fast! 🙂

here is my full question.
Now that the Bell/MTS deal is done and has resulted in BellMTS, I understand that Telus as a result of their network sharing agreement has expanded coverage in Manitoba.

Would I be right to assume that my unlocked Blu Studio G (3G - HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900) that previously did not have coverage outside the Winnipeg-Brandon-Virden Corridor will now have coverage in the entire former MTS service area?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

Now that the Bell/MTS deal is done and has r...

Koodo had expanded coverage in Manitoba as they had a roaming relationship with MTS over a year ago.  This was noted on your device as their EXT (extended) network (roaming had to be enabled).  Now that Bell is finalizing the purchase of MTS, the extended network would be seamless.  

So yes, Koodo has the same network in Manitoba as the former MTS HSPA 3G network for your device
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

And that applies to prepaid accounts too? If so, the one downside that Koodo had here is gone!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

I'm pretty sure prepaid does not benefit from the roaming agreement, sadly 😞
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

I was under the agreement that it wasn't a "roaming" agreement since MTS's towers are now owned by Bell... I was under the impression that bell/telus share resources in Western Canada
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

Sophia, did prepaid not get the EXT coverage?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

I think we need an employee to confirm, Dennis and Sean, I am not 100% sure about the present time, but they never used to.
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

Yeah, now that I've realized that the information is so new (network just came live in the last month or so), I have actually sent an email to support asking about my particular situation. I'll report back when I get an answer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

Best way is to go out and see if there is a signal in a typical non-signal rural area
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

Yeah, that will be my next option if I don't get an answer from support. There is a second main highway running east west in the province where the Koodo signal used to disappear. Next time I go west, I guess i'll take that road. 

We kept one Speakout account in the house for emergencies in such an area. If we get service on that highway, we'll no longer need that old account.
Userlevel 6
Sean wrote:

You answered too fast! 🙂

More than likely, Koodo will have coverage for prepaid services as well, since Koodo does not restrict coverage or speed for prepaid.
Userlevel 4
Yes, Sean our brothers and sisters from PM (since we are part of the same family) have already access to BellMTS network on fully prepaid plans. Previously only [i]post paid[i] users both on Koodo and Telus had only [i]exclusive access to the MTS network. 

Soon the only difference between Telus/Koodo and PM will be the price.
Userlevel 6
Jan Hope wrote:

Yes, Sean our brothers and sisters from PM (since we are part of the same family) have already ac...

Thank you for sharing your experience, this is good to know that Public also have full coverage in Manitoba.
My answer from Customer service:

Hello Sean,
I hope that you are enjoying your day. My name is Julia and it will be my pleasure to offer you a reply within our 24/48 hours.
If I correctly understood you would like to know if after the recent acquisition of MTS you will have a better signal. Not a problem I will do my best in order to assist you with all the available information.
It is correct because of this acquisition you will have a better coverage. The network will be expanding and you will be able to have service where you did not before. Now the change has just begun but over the course of the next months yes [b][i]all of our customers will enjoy a better coverage.
I really hope that the information offered today answered properly your concerns.
Thank you for choosing Koodo! I wish you an excellent day ahead Sean!

Best regards,
Julia P.
Koodo Mobile Customer Service

Guess that means prepaid also...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
[quote=Sean]My answer from Customer service:

Hello Sean,
I hope that you are enjoying your day. My na...

It's pretty generic though, basically all she said is we're improving all the time which is a marketing answer at best. We have posed the question to our liaison at Koodo but still waiting for a definitive answer...

Hello Sean,

I agree,

It's a pretty easy question for the company itself to answer. Are these towers coming live? When? Does it apply to Koodo prepaid?

I (we) shouldn't have to parse meaning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello Sean,

Well, between the time I wrote the previous and now I bumped up the question and already received an answer:

"Extended MB coverage is gone since TELUS improved their 4G LTE network within Manitoba. This means prepaid will have same coverage as postpaid in that region."

Now we know for SURE, good news indeed!