Koodo Community

Community

Managing multiple prepaid accounts? This may help you!

Userlevel 6
We've heard many times on these forums that people would like the option to manage multiple lines from a single Self-Serve account. That'd be fine and dandy, but alas, it's not implemented. However, I tested something that may serve as a band-aid while we wait. Ever heard of aliases? Aliases are often used as disposable e-mail addresses when you register with websites. However, it can serve another purpose: Koodo's Self-Serve. Let's say you manage 3 prepaid lines, and you only have 1 single Gmail address. Now, you'd like to manage all 3 with the same e-mail address, but it's not possible with the way Self-Serve works right now. Aliases are possible though! Let's say you manage your 2 kids' lines and your own, for a total of 3. Kids are named Amy and Brenda, and your (fictional) e-mail address is worldsbestdad@gmail.com Now, you could use this username to log into your own self-serve: worldsbestdad@gmail.com And you could use this one for Brenda's line: worldsbestdad+brenda@gmail.com And why not do the same for Amy: worldsbestdad+amy@gmail.com These, to Koodo, are all different valid login names, and everything points back to worldsbestdad@gmail.com. Aliases are what comes after the "+" sign. It can be anything that would be valid for an e-mail address. I know it's not as big as CERN finding the Higgs boson, but it's better than nothing! Enjoy :oD

13 replies

Userlevel 3
Great idea! I like it! Would also prevent clients from creating multiple e-mails for multiple accounts which kinda can be a pain in the rear end.
Userlevel 7
You couldve saved me a ton of trouble three email addresses ago Can you set up filters for the aliases too?
Userlevel 6
Chad Burr wrote:

You couldve saved me a ton of trouble three email addresses ago Can you set up filters for the...

Absolutely! They act like independent e-mail addresses, except that you don't have to set them up since they're basically the same as your regular one.
Good suggestion. This is a Gmail feature. I didn't know you could put "+" in an e-mail address. I do something similar, but it costs about $20/year. I have my own .ca domain name, e.g. smith.ca. I can create many firstname@smith.ca forwarding addresses and route them all to primary@smith.ca. I use a different firstname@smith.ca to set up each of my kids' Koodo accounts, and receive all account notices at primary@smith.ca.
Userlevel 3
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

Good suggestion. This is a Gmail feature. I didn't know you could put "+" in an e-mail address....

Only issue with this is Koodo wouldn't obligate to make their clients pay for a domain name. Plus what if they don't have a gmail account?
Userlevel 7
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

Good suggestion. This is a Gmail feature. I didn't know you could put "+" in an e-mail address....

Gmail is free. Get an account then have it forward your mail to the account you normally use
Userlevel 3
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

But in reality to ask every Koodo customer do to this would cause a great inconvinience and open a can of worms.
Userlevel 7
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

We've asked customers to edit Apn settings and more. I don't see the worm canon here, after all This is just a suggestion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

Heh heh...worm canon...
Userlevel 7
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

I saw the mistake but it was funny do I didn't edit
Userlevel 6
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

@Rocky: I was simply suggesting the alias trick. If people don't want a Gmail address, it's their call. I simply happened to have one and decided to use it to my advantage :oD
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I love it! I can see so many uses for this, spam protection, here I come 🙂 mygmail+facebook@gmail.com, mygmail+suspiciouscompany@gmail.com, mygmail+putcharightinspam@gmail.com - this is useful beyond Koodo 😃
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

I love it! I can see so many uses for this, spam protection, here I come 🙂 mygmail+facebook@gmai...

It's amazing, isn't it? :oD I was reading some random FAQ and stumbled across this.... which then turned into my thread right here :oD