Koodo Community
Solved

Long-distance calls go straight to voice-mail

Show first post

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Bernard Koodo wrote:

@Peter 2 I think that rep misspoke. I will check but the info on our site is correct. Meaning you should have to have an international booster to receive international calls. A regular talk booster should be enough.

I think you mean should NOT have to have an international booster Bernard 🙂 Just to clarify, this is the information we received at the time and which I summarized in this community in the past (September 2018) :

Here's a summary of what the rules are on incoming international calls:

- If you have a prepaid plan with unlimited minutes, all incoming calls (domestic, international or otherwise) will be included in your plan, no booster needed.
- If your plan does not include minutes, you need a booster for incoming. If you have a either a Canada Wide or Long Distance booster, all incoming calls (again, international or otherwise) will be taken from the Canada Wide booster.
- If you only have a Long Distance booster, all incoming calls (yep, international as well as domestic) will be taken from that as a "last resort".

As far as I know, this information is still correct...
Userlevel 3
So... I guess I try tech support again and hope I get a different rep.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Peter 2 wrote:

So... I guess I try tech support again and hope I get a different rep.

No need, Peter... Bernard (= Koodo HQ) is on it now 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@Peter 2 I can confirm, as I suspected, that there is no need for an international booster to receive international calls. The statement on the website is indeed correct. A plan with minutes included can take unlimited incoming calls. A base plan with a talk booster can take incoming calls as well, but the minutes are deducted from included amount.
All this leads me to believe that there is something else with your phone or the calls received. I don't know what exactly and may indeed require another call unfortunately. Depending on signal strength I have seen i before that my wouldn't ring yet I do get a voicemail. Not sure if this would be applicable to you.
Userlevel 3
Thanks Bernard.

I just called tech again, and this time the rep did not tell me it was a plan issue.

Some settings were reset on the Koodo side, and hopefully everything starts running smoothly now.

I should know by next week if it's working or not for sure (I don't have international numbers calling me everyday...)
Userlevel 3
Confirmed: I did receive an international call successfully, and I did not need to purchase an international booster to do so.

The technical support rep must have fixed the issue when he checked on the network settings.

Thanks for support all!
Userlevel 3
I'm sorry to revive this... but I just realised that this problem was not resolved as I thought.

After checking my account details, I noticed that on the day I called the rep, a Long Distance booster was added to my account (without my knowledge). When I received a long distance call, the minutes were deducted from this Long Distance booster.

As strange as it is, it appears that I am unable to receive long distance calls without a booster, and when I called technical support about it they just gave me a some minutes (while claiming to do some network reset) in order to solve the issue.

Now I am glad that my problem was solved (for the short term at least), but the run-around and vague answers are somewhat frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Peter 2 wrote:

I'm sorry to revive this... but I just realised that this problem was not resolved as I thought.

After checking my account details, I noticed that on the day I called the rep, a Long Distance booster was added to my account (without my knowledge). When I received a long distance call, the minutes were deducted from this Long Distance booster.

As strange as it is, it appears that I am unable to receive long distance calls without a booster, and when I called technical support about it they just gave me a some minutes (while claiming to do some network reset) in order to solve the issue.

Now I am glad that my problem was solved (for the short term at least), but the run-around and vague answers are somewhat frustrating.

Not surprised. I bought the now "necessary" boosters just not to have my US contacts suddenly think I had "expired" when they called me. That after a bunch of boosters disappeared from my account while I made a purchase. Total disregard for any client who doesn't call and complain to at least keep what he has paid for in advance.

This thread will disappear in due course, and so will the affected prepaid clients, but that's probably the goal with some prepaid plans now being more expensive than post-paid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tayeb Koodo wrote:

Hey Peter 2,

Contacting our Technical Support is indeed the best thing to do as a representative from the appropriate department will be able to look into this and will guide you through the troubleshooting steps. I invite you to request a callback from one of our Customer Service agents. It is quick and simple to do so via our Virtual Assistant, who can also answer many questions you might have: www.koodomobile.com/chat

We look forward to assisting you!

Have you ever tried the advice you are proffering for anything prepaid? Total waste of time.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
@Peter 2 - It was a pleasure speaking with you today. As discussed, the changes I made should work however, if you still experience issues receiving calls just let us know 🙂

As mentioned earlier in this thread, for a brief period an international booster was necessary in order to be able to receive calls. My assumption is that Peter's line was activated with the old boosters.

By interchanging the boosters, my hope is that everything should be working now 🙂
Userlevel 3
So, @Chris Koodo tried removing my boosters and re-adding them. Unfortunately, this has not solved the issue.

So, in order to receive international calls, I currently need a Long Distance booster. Receiving international calls deduct from the Long Distance booster (I was able to test this last bit out).

I do not know if this is a problem with anyone on a base pre-paid plan, or if there is just something messed up with my account.

Thanks @Chris Koodo for giving me some more long distance minutes as a work-around!
Peter 2 wrote:

So, @Chris Koodo tried removing my boosters and re-adding them. Unfortunately, this has not solved the issue.

So, in order to receive international calls, I currently need a Long Distance booster. Receiving international calls deduct from the Long Distance booster (I was able to test this last bit out).

Thanks @Chris Koodo

This could be the way it's supposed to work Peter. The incoming international minutes have to come from one of the boosters. If a user has a long distance booster and a Canada wide talk booster, maybe it's supposed to come from a long distance booster before a Canada wide booster. You need the long distance booster removed from your account to see if you're able to receive an international call with only having a Canada wide calling booster. If it's working as it should you should be able to receive an International call while only have a Canada wide talk booster.
Userlevel 3
Mats wrote:

This could be the way it's supposed to work Peter. The incoming international minutes have to come from one of the boosters. If a user has a long distance booster and a Canada wide talk booster, maybe it's supposed to come from a long distance booster before a Canada wide booster. You need the long distance booster removed from your account to see if you're able to receive an international call with only having a Canada wide calling booster. If it's working as it should you should be able to receive an International call while only have a Canada wide talk booster.

I did some experimenting with this (with help from Christ), and with the long distance booster removed, long distance calls were going straight to voice mail.

It wouldn't make sense to me that I could save money by not having a long distance booster (since Canada wide minutes are cheaper).