Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Local calling area's and long distance on Koodo prepaid.

I'm on Koodo prepaid, with my local calling area Halifax, NS. If I am in Petite Rivière, NS, will I be charged "long distance" to call Halifax and to receive calls?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I am not sure, zinneken. But an easy way to know is if you can call the number without dialing a 1 (one) first, it is a local number. If you get a message that you need to add a 1 in front of the area code, it is long distance 🙂
Revisiting this because my last 500 minute booster turns out to be 425 minutes. I didn't call any numbers requiring +1. I'm based in Nova Scotia out of Hebbville, but my number is a 902580 number which is supposed to be Halifax. How do I know whether I am in the zone or not? The usage detail of the calls in the online account doesn't mention this. So how do we know when we are in or out "the zone" when receiving and calling?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
zinneken wrote:

Revisiting this because my last 500 minute booster turns out to be 425 minutes. I didn't call any...

It seems none of the carriers publish the cell zones, and the only way to learn is by trial and error. For simplicity, let's assume you are on the edge of the Halifax zone, and the next tower to the SW is outside the zone. Receiving a call while at Bob & the Boys Market would result in LD charges to you, while making a call from Hebbville Academy might not result in needing to dial 1. As a matter of fact, if you are in some locations, moving a few feet can result in connecting to different cell towers, and in some cases may result in some calls being on one tower, and others on another, or even switching back and forth. I'm surprised there aren't Bridgewater or Lunenberg numbers available. They may be a better choice than a Halifax number for your needs.
Userlevel 6
zinneken wrote:

Revisiting this because my last 500 minute booster turns out to be 425 minutes. I didn't call any...

Telus does have 902-298 numbers in Bridgewater. That would be your best bet for service in Petite-Rivière/La Have/Hebbville but if you call to Halifax a lot you will likely need a talk booster.
zinneken wrote:

I need a Springhill NS number but the drop down doesn't have it ..so I need to do the next town over(Amherst) and hope it's a local number.. This is frustrating 😕 geographical boundaries should be shown.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
zinneken wrote:

All of the Prepaid plans with calling have Unlimited Province Wide Calling and the Talk Boosters are Unlimited Canada Wide Calling so you don't have to worry about making local calls. You can call anywhere in the province or in Canada depending on your plan.
zinneken wrote:

My hubby is in Springhill, for him to call me (in hfx) is LD so I need a Springhill # so that it's a local call for him.. any suggestions or know if Amherst is in local call boundaries?
Userlevel 6
zinneken wrote:

Amherst has a larger local calling area (for landlines) than Springhill so that is why all the wireless providers have numbers in Amherst. All of the smaller towns in that area have local calling to Amherst. 
zinneken wrote:

Beautiful!! Thanks@ray
Userlevel 7
Petite Rivière, NS is no where near Halifax. Hours away. Yes, it would be long distance if you call back to Halifax. If you received any call in Petite Rivière, NS it would be long distance. The only call that wouldn't be long distance is if you call a Petite Rivière number.