Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Koodo prepaid won't work with TTC SMS service.

Over the weekend my wife tried to use the TTC SMS service, where you text the stop number to 898882 to find out the schedule for the next six streetcars, but received a message from Koodo that read "Koodo: We do not support the service you are trying to text". Any way to get support for this? Very handy in the GTO.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Is there a charge involved with getting this text?
http://www.ttc.ca/Customer_Service/Customer_Information_Initiatives/Next_vehicle_information_system/Text_Messaging.jsp 'Standard rates apply'. So it's just a regular text message. No additional fee.
Userlevel 2
You might like to try mobile.ttc.ca if you have a data plan. TTC SMS might not work.
Userlevel 2
Hope you have an android. Look at what I found here → https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sinkpoint.nextTTC&hl=en TTC SMS APP Features - Real time access to TTC arrival times. - Save frequent stops for fast look ups. - Set alarms before TTC arrives. - Find nearest stops with GPS. - Browse TTC stops on Google maps with route graph - Map real time streetcar vehicle GPS locations - Each route outlines are drawn on Google Maps. - Current TTC vehicles are drawn with headings as well as location. - Twitter support to gain insight into current TTC status. - Backup and restore stops
Userlevel 6
Xavier wrote:

Hope you have an android. Look at what I found here → https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...

Doesn't work with SMS since Koodo doesn't support sending to that short code. It does work with data, though.
I'm not on Android, sorry. Was really wondering why this SMS service isn't supported -- it's a free service. Looking to avoid using data if possible.
Userlevel 2
Michel Vrana wrote:

I'm not on Android, sorry. Was really wondering why this SMS service isn't supported -- it's a fr...

There's probably certain sms services that Prepaid doesn't support. This could be one of them since you got that confirmation message.
Michel Vrana wrote:

I'm not on Android, sorry. Was really wondering why this SMS service isn't supported -- it's a fr...

Sure. But my hope is someone from Koodo will see this and let me know what's up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Michel Vrana wrote:

I am not 100% certain, but I believe Koodo prepaid does not support short phone numbers. I tried to activate something once too and I got the same message 😞
Userlevel 6
Michel Vrana wrote:

Correct. I tried it too. If you have data, use www.nextbus.com instead.
Userlevel 3
Hey Michel! Sophia's right, this option is not supported with prepaid. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Userlevel 2
Khaleila wrote:

Hey Michel! Sophia's right, this option is not supported with prepaid. _______________________...

Thanks for the confirmation, but the million dollar question is why no support for these "free" texts?? Are you implying that postpaid customers are using different SMS gateways than prepaid?
Userlevel 6
Khaleila wrote:

Hey Michel! Sophia's right, this option is not supported with prepaid. _______________________...

Most likely nobody made the necessary arrangements to allow it to work. Other services that use SMS short codes (PayPal, Translink, GO Transit, Yellow Pages) work just fine. According to the list at txt.ca, some of these even go through the same service provider (Transcontinental).
Userlevel 1
Great news everyone! We now support TTC SMS on prepaid 🙂