Koodo Community

Community

Koodo Prepaid: Switch to Monthly Renewal rather than Every 30 Days

I find the 30-day renew cycle for Koodo Prepaid base plan to result in a renewal date that is constantly changing from one month to the next.  I would find it much easier to manage (keep track of when the automatic renewal takes place) if you would just switch to a monthly cycle.  In the big picture what's the difference to you, really?  365 days with 12 renewals per year (monthly cycle) versus 12.1667 renewals per year on the 30 day cycle.  I think this is just a cash grab by Koodo...

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Hi Ian, Good idea, but we think the way we have it right now is actually very easy. We set it up this way to keep the time period consistent. If we were to do monthly renewals, the days would differ and would actually be more confusing. It's easier for manage an account knowing that you have 30 days instead of varying days in a month. Hope that makes sense 🙂
Please re-read what you have written - it just does not make sense. Every single utility & credit card bill I get, other than Koodo, is on a MONTHLY renewal basis. For example, my credit card bill is always due to be paid on the 27th of the month. With Koodo, the date is always moving forward. It started on September 30th back in 2011. Now it's coming up for renewal on something like the 15th of this month. How is this EASY to follow/manage? It's stupid.
Userlevel 5
Ian wrote:

Please re-read what you have written - it just does not make sense. Every single utility & cre...

What I assume Sumaya is getting at is not all months have 30 days, and I would assume the difficulty would come in to play there. You would have people not understanding why a month with 28 days costs the same as a month with 31. By keeping a solid 30 day cycle it's the same no matter when you get it, and you're effectively buying a block of service as you need it. That being said your prepaid account isn't a monthly bill and you're almost comparing apples to oranges there. A tab/account is a monthly bill and you get billed in the way you are wanting to. Prepaid is there for you to buy 30 days of service at a time in a block.
Userlevel 6
Ian wrote:

Please re-read what you have written - it just does not make sense. Every single utility & cre...

The only drawback I can see to prepaid doing 30day instead of monthly is the way Android manages it's built-in data use graph. You can change the start date of the cycle, but it just assumes it will be the same for the next month. It'd be really convenient to have the possibility to set increments instead of dates to keep track of data more easily. I know, it's not directly related to Koodo, but it's still a drawback of the system being on 30day.
Userlevel 7
Ian wrote:

Well, considering the fact that data and minutes "rollover" as long as you top up your base plan, this is an irrelevant issue. And you can't go over your data on prepaid. So again, irrelevant issue 😛
Userlevel 6
Ian wrote:

I know I know Ahmad, I was nitpicking 😛 Yet, I like to "limit" myself to something like 100MBs/month so I can last 6 years with what I bought last Xmas 😉
Userlevel 7
Ian wrote:

LOL! Omg I wish 100mb/month would suffice for me. I'd be saving some good $$$ 😛
Userlevel 6
Ian wrote:

One easy trick: no streaming, that's really all there is to it. Once I stopped streaming, I averaged 85MB/month. Sometimes (just sometimes) I splurge and let myself visit some websites featuring nice ladies in practical clothing, but then I feel bad (for using all that data!!!!!!!!) 😃
Userlevel 7
Ian wrote:

So sad how I can easily rip through that in a day if I wanted to. Thank goodness for my 6GB plan 😛
Userlevel 6
Ian wrote:

Most times I keep it under 100, sometimes I go all out and reach 125MB... Let's assume I keep it at 100. I bought 20GB (and 6K minutes) last Xmas during the double promo, so by my calculations, I should be good for 16.5 years for data 😉 So that $450 investment in data+voice will turn out costing me $2.25/month 😃
Userlevel 6
Ian wrote:

There you go Ahmad.... See for yourself how long data lasts me (consider the start date of May 2013 hehe)

Ian wrote:

Listen - I appreciate your comments but you've taken this thread off topic.
Userlevel 6
Ian wrote:

Oh wow, I'm so sorry for this Ian, I promise I won't do it again, ever. Geeezzz......