Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Koodo false data charges

Userlevel 1
Anyone else realized their data usage is far more than it actually should be? I've used, by my phone's accounting of my data, about 160mb this month, however Koodo just sent me a text saying that I've used 50% of my 1gb of data. This wasn't a problem previously and only started happening maybe about 3 months ago. I hadn't been accounting for it before but I tracked all of it because I realized my data was going by incredibly quickly lately. The weird thing is Koodo sent me this text while I was connected to my wifi, so it seems to me that they've been charging me for data I haven't been using.

40 replies

Yes actually August 16 was my billing day. The next day they told me I was over my data. I called and argued and no satisfaction. I am so annoyed that no one wants to help me. So.. once I pay off my bill this. Month switching compNies. My husband with Wind mobile. $45. Unlimited dataong distance texting and calling.
Userlevel 1
Good for you, I'm probably gonna switch as well cause they're pretty much just stealing my money at this point. Sadly I can't get wind as they don't have a store in Halifax but I'm thinking I'll switch over to public mobile, 40/ month for 2 gigs of data isn't so bad when I realize at this point I'm spending about 50/month cause of them gouging data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's extremely unlikely that data charges are incorrect. Usually it's an app or system update running in the background that uses up your data without your knowledge if you don't disable it.

In your settings, make sure you restrict non-essential apps to WiFi only, as well as set your update preferences to WiFi only (both system and app updates).

If this is what's using your data, it's a problem that won't be resolved by switching carriers.
Ivan wrote:

It's extremely unlikely that data charges are incorrect. Usually it's an app or system update run...

Ohhh Nooo!!!!!!! There are too many complaints about being charged for unused data. Too many complaints to be coincidental. If this continues with Koodo, they are going to lose a lot of customers. Koodo should fix this problem A.S.A.P. Also, when you phone Koodo they are not helpful at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

It's extremely unlikely that data charges are incorrect. Usually it's an app or system update run...

Quality control is never 100%. On a large scale the system is going to have hundreds of glitches a month even if 99.99% accurate. This is something that all carriers deal with. The only unfortunate thing is that when a legitimate glitch afflicts someone, it can be rather difficult to convince the carrier of it becauseout of the time it's someone who unknowingly used too much data.
sorry dude...the koodo rep in kingston at the kiosk showed me that...did absolutely nothing...so now...since Koodo won't do anything for me and my bill has gone up so much and i do not want to change my plan because until this summer and the incident in nova scotia where after 24 of my billing i was over my data ( and I was very careful to use my family internet) my data is always over. no matter what. So now pay off the bill and go to another company that provides unlimited data and that way I will never be over and no more extra charges!
Userlevel 1
Well however unlikely you believe it may be I'm fairly certain it's true as I had my background data restricted for this test and only used data a few times and logged how much data it probably should have used. Everything was disabled that I was not certain I was using, so it begs the question why was 500mb of data used up in almost exactly 2 weeks? The way I see it, it's a little too coincidental that at the 2 week mark I was sent a message that I'd used 50% of my data when I've barely been using data at all. Maybe your experience has been different but like I said it's been fine until about 3 months ago and nothing about my usage has changed since that time
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
William Lloyd wrote:

Well however unlikely you believe it may be I'm fairly certain it's true as I had my background d...

Just because I said it was unlikely, it doesn't mean that it's impossible. If you believe that Koodo has made a mistake, you should of course pursue a resolution.

I'm speaking not just from personal experience with my own lines. We help out customers here on a daily basis and in the majority of the cases it's something to do with user settings. Personally, I've had data restrictions "magically" change. Facebook autoplay of videos has been a culprit many times.
Userlevel 1
William Lloyd wrote:

Well however unlikely you believe it may be I'm fairly certain it's true as I had my background d...

Don't have Facebook on my phone for this exact reason, but I mean it doesn't seem like trying to seek resolution through koodo would really work as they don't want to be contacted. They don't have an email support line and don't really have proper customer support set up on the site at all, if you want help they just send you to the forums for community help. Just seems like they really couldn't care less cause they're offering cheaper prices than their competition.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
William Lloyd wrote:

Phone support exists, if you follow the "Contact Us) link at the bottom, you'll be directed to various contact options, including phone, email, and social media.

The phone lines have been tied up lately due to the recent promo. I would suggest that you contact Koodo through their Facebok page for the time being. They'll be able to verify that you're the account owner and can help you with billing issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
William Lloyd wrote:

@Melanie - I see that your plan allows for 1GB of data/mth, but you've consistently gone over every month since June, at times even 3 times your allotment. I don't believe this is an error on our part, but more so that your usage has changed since you took this plan and perhaps you'd be better off changing to a plan that allows for more data. Plus the new plans offer shock-free data which would actually warn and stop data use once you reach 100% of your bucket, preventing overage charges. You would need to authorize overages at that point, leaving you in full control.

@William - We can take a look at your account to see what the issue might be, but I'm unable to pull up an account matching your email address. If you can share the last 2 digits of your phone number, and if it's under your name, that should help. 

With regards to Koodo customer service, we absolutely care about keeping our customers happy but like you hinted, our value prop. is a bit different from that of say TELUS. We're able to offer more attractive prices compared to some of the bigger players by expecting a higher adoption of self-service. The majority of problems faced by customers can be sorted by troubleshooting through this community or our FAQ section. For anything more complex, we do have support agents available online and by calling, but when people don't leverage a forum like this for the easier issues, it clogs up the lines causing for longer wait times.
Userlevel 1
William Lloyd wrote:

Last 2 digits are 96 however the account may be under Lloyd Bowleg
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
William Lloyd wrote:

I'm sorry - unable to pull up anything using that info. either.
Two other options:
If you feel comfortable posting your number here, I can pull up the account by it and remove it from here right after
The other option is to send us a private message on Facebook and reference this link. One of our reps can then authenticate you as the account holder and dig into this from there.
Userlevel 1
William Lloyd wrote:

xxx-xxx-xxxx
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
William Lloyd wrote:

I know this sounds crazy, but you are a Koodo customer, right Will? I can't pull up anything matching that number either. I tried other numbers to make sure it's not a program/system issue and I am able to pull up other accounts.. Is your account currently open and active?
Userlevel 1
William Lloyd wrote:

Yup completely certain I'm a koodo customer, prepaid customer paying for data boosters
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
William Lloyd wrote:

That explains it.. different access required. Mind shooting us a message on Facebook? We'll have to tackle this differently (please reference this thread).
William Lloyd wrote:

I am with Koodo and my last 2 bills shows I have used up some of my data even though I have my mobile data always turned off. I phoned them with no satisfaction. I am thinking of changing my server..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
William Lloyd wrote:

Have you checked your phone to see if it shows any consumption?
Userlevel 1
William Lloyd wrote:

For those of you looking for resolution to this, they definitely were overcharging me for data, once I complained and spoke to the representative, the extra charges somehow disappeared and went back to what I had previously figured it was at around 160-170 mb. I haven't had the problem since, realized I didn't actually resolve this here.
William Lloyd wrote:

So you think Koodo started intentionally over-charging you for data, after you were a customer for a bit, till you caught them and complained. Then the over - charging stopped. You are basically accusing them of theft. More likely that you just used more data for those couple of months. If you truly think it was intentional then you should take it a step further. https://www.koodomobile.com/crtc-wireless-code?INTCMP=KMNew_FooterLINK_CRTCWirelessCode
William Lloyd wrote:

So you think Koodo started intentionally over-charging you for data, after you were a customer for a bit, till you caught them and complained. Then the over - charging stopped. You are basically accusing them of theft. More likely that you just used more data for those couple of months. If you truly think it was intentional then you should take it a step further. https://www.koodomobile.com/crtc-wireless-code?INTCMP=KMNew_FooterLINK_CRTCWirelessCode
Userlevel 1
William Lloyd wrote:

K
Userlevel 5
Hi William,

We replied to your private message on Facebook and we are waiting for your answer.

Thanks
Hi!
I just activated my account (prepaid) after buying a SIM card today to use on my iphone.
I turn off all the apps on my phone. Then I turned on the data so I can stop the apps from using data in the future. This took less than 30 sec before I turned the data back off. System services somehow still managed to use 147kb, yet when I check on the usage, it says 5.303MB. This does not even make sense. I took some screenshot but after reading this, I wonder if it is even worth to complain? Can I even trust how they keep track of the data or is this a phone problem?
Thanks for your imput.
HC