Koodo Community

invalid sim error on prepaid activation

• 19 August 2020
  • 9 replies

I bought a prepaid sim card at a telus store (it says prepaid on front). I am trying to activate it at activateprepaid.koodoomobile.com but get an invalid sim error. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to make sure, the sim looks like one of these correct?

Yep! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I would try to reenter the SIM number again. Normally it is a 19-digit number at the back of the card. If that doesn’t work you might want to go back to the store and ask for an exchange.

In case this helps anyone in future - the Invalid SIM error message is misleading.  It turns out that the sim card was already activated.  When I bought it I was told that I needed to activate it online, but apparently I did not.    Inserted sim and all is well : )

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In case this helps anyone in future - the Invalid SIM error message is misleading.  It turns out that the sim card was already activated.  When I bought it I was told that I needed to activate it online, but apparently I did not.    Inserted sim and all is well : )

Thank you LucanLane for letting us know what was happened.  I’m glad it’s working.

Im just curious…   We create our prepaid self serve account when we activate SIM card .  
You enter your email address( user name) and PW, you can pick up your phone number...etc.

If it was already activated ( is it by a store rep?), are you able to login to your self serve account?  

I am very glad that you posted this question, Mayumi!!! 

The store rep gave me the phone number when I bought the card so he must have activated it for me.  I just tried to log in to Self Serve for the first time and since I didn’t have a password I did the forgot password link but it isn’t recognizing my email address.  What do I do now?  This account is for my grandson who is in another province, so I don’t have access to the phone to do the *611 thing - I’ll need to be able to log on to make payments.  Yikes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oof, sounds like activating this in store was more hassle than it was worth… actually I never heard this before (the whole idea about prepaid is you do things yourself).

Did you get a PIN code? You can contact Koodo through Facebook or Twitter and ask them to reset both your email address and password.

If you didn’t get even that, I’m afraid your grandson will have to call them from his phone. I honestly don’t know why they activated your number in store!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When prepaid accounts are activated in store an email should be given by the customer. Then, they will receive an email asking them to sign up for their prepaid account to access their online services.

Was your email, or any info for that matter asked from you by the store rep?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This might be big hassle for you.

But, I would go back to the store and talk to the rep who activated your SIM/account.  Then get login info. (Username is e-mail address and password). Then I would check if I can  login to self serve in the spot. If you are able to login、then you can change your password.

I don't understand why store rep activated it for you, and didn't give you login info. (Well, they shouldn't create your login/account from beginning)