Koodo Community

Community

Solved

How much is a sim card

Hi I had an account ,but it was not topped off the past couple of months.I think they de-activated my account and cancelled my phone number also.I was told I need a new sim card.I just bought a prepaid card for 15 $ not realizing they cancelled account. How much is a sim card and what are my next steps? Thks

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi ric, A prepaid SIM card is $20 if you buy it from Koodo, but I've been able to find a few on eBay for as little as $3. No guarantees it will work though (mine did) 🙂 You will need to sign up for a new prepaid account like you did the first time, and receive $20 in credit. Then you can also apply your $15 top up to your new account. Make sure you renew your base plan at least once every 90 days so you account won't be cancelled next time... for now, welcome back! 🙂
Hi Sophia ,thks for reply, the sim card is 20$ ,no other price options there? The sim card I presently have in phone is good for garbage now ? That 15$ I just bought is good for how long? Thks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ric l wrote:

Hi Sophia ,thks for reply, the sim card is 20$ ,no other price options there? The sim card I pres...

Hi ric, unfortunately yes, your old SIM card is useless now 😞 They can't be reused. As I said try to buy a card on eBay... most sellers offer them for around $5... Edit: just make absolutely sure it has "Prepaid" printed on it! If you use the $15 for a booster, it will be valid forever... but you do need an active base plan to use your minutes. I don't think there is an expiry date on your voucher either, so you could use it any time 🙂
Thks for reply ,just a few more questions ,sorry, I'm new to most of this.Why can I get it on eBay for 5$,and Koodo sells them for 20$? What is a booster for the 15$? Where can I buy a sim card other than eBay,where I bought the phone or where I bought the 15$prepaid card? I appreciate the help .Thks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ric l wrote:

Thks for reply ,just a few more questions ,sorry, I'm new to most of this.Why can I get it on eBa...

No problem, ask away 🙂 I'll try to answer them... Koodo sells their prepaid SIM for $20, and obviously this is the safest choice. In fact I recommend it... However, I am a frugal person and I watch my budget 😃 So... I usually shop around to try and find things cheaper. I guess people sell their unused SIM card on eBay for so much less because they can probably get it for really cheap themselves, or buy in bulk... or maybe they made a mistake and try to get some money back for it. Please don't do it if you are uncomfortable buying from a stranger... if you prefer to stay safe, spend the $20 and buy from Koodo online: https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/accessories/index.html or in one of their kiosks. You asked what is a booster, are you familiar how Koodo prepaid works at all? If not, here is where you can find information: http://koodomobile.com/en/on/plansandboosters.shtml It explains very nicely what is involved in the base plan, and what boosters are. If you still have questions after reading that, please feel free to ask! We like to help 😃
Thks if I don't use the phone for long distance ordata for internet do I really need the booster? Thks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ric l wrote:

Thks if I don't use the phone for long distance ordata for internet do I really need the booster...

Yes, that is the way Koodo prepaid works, and in fact it is the only provider in Canada with a construction like that.. You need the base plan to have access to Koodo's network. The cheapest base plan is $15 and includes unlimited international text/picture messaging, voicemail, caller ID etc, plus all government fees such as 911. You can't use your booster without it... In addition, you choose one of the talk boosters which allows you to make calls for as little as 5 cents nation wide. If you text a lot, Koodo's prepaid plan is the best in Canada... but if you only need to call locally and rarely, you might need to do some calculations to see if it is worth it for you to spend $15 each month 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ric l wrote:

Thks if I don't use the phone for long distance ordata for internet do I really need the booster...

Oh I forgot to say, if you only use the phone locally, have a look at some of the other base plans that include local calls. For example the $50 base plan offers unlimited local calling (both incoming and outgoing) and you'd never need a booster if you don't need long distance.
ric l wrote:

hey Sophia , Im getting a new phone and your like the best... thx for bloggin
Thks for reply so I put my 15 $ prepaid card on phone for text only and other stuff u said ,I need the booster to do this? Booster is lifetime ?Thks
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Exactly ric! You only need a booster if you want to make calls...if all you want is text the base plan is sufficient 🙂 Also yes, boosters are lifetime!
thks
My phone was deactivated because I didn't have the money to top it up, now I need a new sim card apparently.. I don't remember if I had any active boosters, but if I now have to go through all this to reactivate my phone and set up a new account, then won't any boosters I had before be gone? How is that in anyway make the booster good for a lifetime... I'd say I got screwed! Its cheaper just to buy a new phone and get the free 20$ top up with it...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sarah Randell wrote:

My phone was deactivated because I didn't have the money to top it up, now I need a new sim card ...

Your booster doesn't expire as long as you renew your base plan.
Your account will be deactivated if your account was inactive for 90 days.
You don't need to buy a new phone every time your account expired. You just need to get a new sim card and activate it.
Anyone have an update as current price for a nano sim at koodo store?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan Dubrick wrote:

All postpaid SIM cards cost $5 Jonathan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan Dubrick wrote:

$10 for postpaid actually 😉
And its a tri-cut : 3 in one SIM now.
Jonathan Dubrick wrote:

If you buy a sim card at the koodo store a $30 connection fee applies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan Dubrick wrote:

This thread is also a year old. Please don’t keep bringing up old threads. If you have questions, Idea or comments about Koodo, plan or phone, then you are welcome to post your own post.