Koodo Community
Solved

How much are my boosters being charged?

• 12 February 2019
  • 13 replies

I have a pay-as-you-go plan with talk and data boosters. In the Usage History screen, every item has a $0.00 charge.
Has Koodo started giving me calls for free? And data? Or are they charging me but keeping the amount secret?
icon

Best answer by Dennis 12 February 2019, 20:50

I'm not sure I would say "having calls I neither received nor made reduce my paid-for minutes" a pet peeve. It would be more akin to theft if Koodo is charging me for services I did not use.
If you check your boosters, I do not think Koodo is charging you for calls not picked up. It is simply a record of someone calling your voicemail
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi

I don't think it was free. It might be included in your plan (that you paid upfront). If possible, can you post a screenshot of that ?(delete/hide all personal information before posting please).

Btw, what plan do you have, and what was the item of $0?.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So, to reiterate what was said in the other thread: unfortunately, the only way to see how much you were charged is by keeping track of the booster usage... it's quite common with almost any prepaid plan I ever had, so Koodo is not unique in that respect.
dinh: my base plan is "$15 Unlimited Messaging (Text and Picture)"

Attached is an image showing 4 phone calls, all of which say "$0.00".

I only made one of them, the number 902 580 4001 is the voice mail number in NS, and I did not make any of those calls myself. Perhaps my phone is mis-behaving and making calls on its own time by itself, if that is the case, I guess I need to find out about it.

Regardless of whether it is "typical" to not tell the cost of the phone call, it doesn't make sense. And what is the point of having "charge" in the usage table if it is always going to keep the information secret and write $0.00 ? It's a waste of screen space.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I agree, It was unnecessary. For prepaid, there shouldn't be any charge column. Because you already paid them with your baseplan and boosters. It was properly a programing issue, they put it there for some other unknown problem. In your usage section you properly need to check the duration and check it against your booster minutes.

Regarding the voicemail call, can you check if those minutes were deducted from your booster? If someone left a voicemail on your account, I think it reported as an outgoing call to the voicemail. However, those minutes shouldn't be deducted from your minutes. Minutes were taken only when you actually called your voicemail number and checked the voicemails.
Userlevel 3
It looks like your plan is "Prepaid". If so, you have already paid for talk &/or data boosters upfront and once bought there are no further costs "until" the boosters are used up (except for the monthly base plan cost of $15).

For example, if you bought a $30 talk booster, your account would be credited with 600 talk minutes. Each time you call someone or they call you, the minutes used are deducted from the 600 talk minutes. So if you talked 10 minutes, you would have 590 talk minutes left. The 10 minutes you used are not charged a further fee. When you bought the talk booster initially - that was what it cost to purchase 600 minutes.

That is why your statement shows minutes used at $0.00 charge.

If you want to know what your charge per minute is then take the booster you bought and divide by number of minutes. The 600 minute booster would be $30 divided by 600 minutes for .05 cents a minute. If they added this .05 a minute cost to your statement it would be confusing as it would look like you owed this amount, which of course you do not.
Lou, sometimes they advise people who are going on vacation to put extra money in their CC account, in case they can't pay their bill while on vacation. But when they buy something, the next month CC statement doesn't have a charge of $0.00 against some real purchase, just because the purchase was (in effect) pre-paid.
But maybe for prepaid accounts Koodo should have the last column be "minutes/KB deducted" so that you can see what actually happened to your balance. This would clear up questions like "is that call I didn't make or receive, but yet which is listed, actually deduct minutes from my credit" or "did that MMS message I shouldn't have to pay for actually reduce the amount I have on my data plan".

As everyone here *should* know, we pay close to the highest rates in the world for cell phone usage. Surely for that we should expect coherent, informative statements.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Lou, sometimes they advise people who are going on vacation to put extra money in their CC account, in case they can't pay their bill while on vacation. But when they buy something, the next month CC statement doesn't have a charge of $0.00 against some real purchase, just because the purchase was (in effect) pre-paid.
But maybe for prepaid accounts Koodo should have the last column be "minutes/KB deducted" so that you can see what actually happened to your balance. This would clear up questions like "is that call I didn't make or receive, but yet which is listed, actually deduct minutes from my credit" or "did that MMS message I shouldn't have to pay for actually reduce the amount I have on my data plan".

As everyone here *should* know, we pay close to the highest rates in the world for cell phone usage. Surely for that we should expect coherent, informative statements.

So you understand how it works, The column is just visually irrelevant.

Unfortunately Koodo does not really make any investment into the prepaid system so any changes like this will not likely happen. But at least we know this is not an issue for you. Just a minor pet peeve
I'm not sure I would say "having calls I neither received nor made reduce my paid-for minutes" a pet peeve. It would be more akin to theft if Koodo is charging me for services I did not use.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you check your boosters, I do not think Koodo is charging you for calls not picked up. It is simply a record of someone calling your voicemail
Do you not think that it is absurd that I have to keep track of the boosters myself, walk through the usage log, subtract the calls I know about from the difference of two times I checked the usage, and then see if a call was charged or not?

Well, maybe that's really a rhetorical question. I think it is absurd. And I also think it would be very easy for Koodo to make that clear in their usage log if they wanted to. This would not be a major software development effort...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you not think that it is absurd that I have to keep track of the boosters myself, walk through the usage log, subtract the calls I know about from the difference of two times I checked the usage, and then see if a call was charged or not?

Well, maybe that's really a rhetorical question. I think it is absurd. And I also think it would be very easy for Koodo to make that clear in their usage log if they wanted to. This would not be a major software development effort...

I dont disagree with you. You should post that as an idea. However, I wouldnt hold my breath
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Agree, it's an annoyance (as is the text messages in the middle of the night, my personal pet peeve).

We have mentioned this on a rather frequent basis to Koodo since 2013 (one year after their prepaid was introduced) and it's fallen on deaf ears so far... so... I don't think much can (will) be done about it unfortunately.
You probably have canada wide unlimited
With kodoo now , international txt is free and international call are from 10 To 50cents a min