Koodo Community
Solved

easy roam

Does Easy Roam US work with prepaid accounts or only with monthly accts?
icon

Best answer by Dennis 26 August 2019, 21:34

No, Easy Roam does not work with prepaid.
You will need to get Prepaid US roaming boosters
https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans
View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No, Easy Roam does not work with prepaid.
You will need to get Prepaid US roaming boosters
https://www.koodomobile.com/prepaid-plans
Thank you so much. So, if I get the 250 minute US talk booster add on ($20.00), do I need anything else. I dont really understand how roaming works, so, you think thats all I need?. I live in Creston BC and going to Vegas for 4 days and worry if I have to call home (Canada) my phone wont work.
Sorry, i meant to say if i get the US Roaming talk booster 250, is that all i will require?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes that is all you will requirel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sorry, i meant to say if i get the US Roaming talk booster 250, is that all i will require?

You will have talk minutes, but no text or data capacility. If you need those as well, you will have to buy a text or data booster. Whatever you don't use on this trip carries over till next time as long as your account is open.
Thanks Bob, yes, i figured so much. Thats ok, i just want to be confident i can phone home if needed (for emergency mainly). I usually depend on Wifi (almost always) for my wifi needs and the prepaid plan has been wonderful for me for almost a year now.
Now, i just need to figure out how to call Canada from US; is it 1 + the number or whatever, no worries.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Calling anywhere in North America is 1-area code-7 digit number. Canada and US are considered part of the same dialing system so no country code prefix is required.
Thanks again Bob, right, just the 1. I moved home from S Korea recently, and learned that to phone Korea from Canada, there is an exit code first, so, yeah, i needlessly overthink things too much.
I am going to make a quick trip over the border, (10 mins from here) and make sure the Roaming thing works okay.
So, i went across the line (porthill Idaho) and made 2 calls home, both worked fine, i m thinkin great.
So, go back home to Canada, and checked my account, expecting to see some minutes used up from the 250 minutes and there was NO minutes used.
So, i assume, even though i was in the US, that i was connected to the Canadian tower, and Koodoo didnt recognize I was outside Canada, cause I was so close to Canada.
When the US Roaming text minutes are being used, would there be anything on my phone that is different, that would tell me, im now using US Roaming minutes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So, i went across the line (porthill Idaho) and made 2 calls home, both worked fine, i m thinkin great.
So, go back home to Canada, and checked my account, expecting to see some minutes used up from the 250 minutes and there was NO minutes used.
So, i assume, even though i was in the US, that i was connected to the Canadian tower, and Koodoo didnt recognize I was outside Canada, cause I was so close to Canada.
When the US Roaming text minutes are being used, would there be anything on my phone that is different, that would tell me, im now using US Roaming minutes.

Typically when you are roaming there will be a small 'R' next to the signal strength indicator on your phone.
Userlevel 5
You don’t need to physically go across the border. Get close, search for networks manually on your phone, and choose a US network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You don’t need to physically go across the border. Get close, search for networks manually on your phone, and choose a US network.

Those who live near the border can prevent accidental roaming by manually selecting Koodo as the network operator. Sometimes gives coverage for about 1 km into the US.
Great, just wonderful comments and very helpful, i ll try that, i can park just by the border and check for a network there. Thanks again so much.