Koodo Community
Solved

Does whatsapp use "messages" or "data"?

• 13 July 2019
  • 3 replies

How does whatsapp work on koodo plans? Some koodoo plans advertise "unlmited international text and picture messaging". Does that mean I have unlimited whatsapp, or does whatapp use data?
icon

Best answer by Goran 13 July 2019, 02:53

Whatsapp works with data. Upside is it uses very little for just messaging. One character is one byte of data after all.
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Whatsapp works with data. Upside is it uses very little for just messaging. One character is one byte of data after all.
thanks!
Hi ... I noticed you asked a similar question in another thread and it looks like you're similar in the way I use whatsapp and text. I hope this clarifies some things for you:

WHATSAPP: Use with either Data (which you pay to have on your phone) OR use with WIFI (which you pay for internet services at home or get free at community centres or other locations which offers FREE WIFI).

Through WHATSAPP you can send text messages, photos, videos or voice recordings.

Through WHATSAPP it's easy to create chat groups for any number of participants. This is 1 feature that I really like about WHATSAPP and everyone's replies are shown in the same chat thread.

TEXT: If your Koodo plan allows TEXT, you can send TEXT messages. I have the prepaid text base plan and I am able to send TEXT messages & ALSO to send photos/pictures WITH my text messages.
TEXT service is INDEPENDENT of WHATSAPP.
TEXT service is a service provided by Koodo. You pay for it and you can text.
WHATSAPP is an app which you will need to download either from Google Play (Android) OR the App Store (IOS). Once you've downloaded the App you will need either Data OR WIFI to use it.

If you're a basic user like myself who relies mostly on WIFI then you can get away with just text & talk.
I mostly use WIFI because I am near WIFI most times so I don't really miss the data.

For example, I have a prepaid TEXT base Plan & I have talk booster minutes. I do NOT have a data booster.
However, Koodo now offers a $15 TEXT base plan (which NOW includes 250 MB data ... it previously did NOT include data). i will be switching to this plan soon. You can also get a free talk booster if you register your credit card with Koodo.

Hope this helps. Good luck.