Koodo Community

Community

Do I have to have a plan?

I just bought a flip phone for my mother in law and do not want a monthly plan. She wants to use it for calls only, no texting or data. Trying to register it and it tells me to pick a plan, no option for no plan. Is it possible to register it and not have a plan?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Sheila,

No it is not possible. You must have a base-plan on your account.
Well that is a waste of money. I will return the phone and find a company that does not require a plan since I only want to pay for the talk minutes that are used. Perhaps koodo should consider this option. I understand it would not be common but why pay $35 per month for services that are not used or offer only talk plans with no texting.
Userlevel 7
Sheila Jordan wrote:

Well that is a waste of money. I will return the phone and find a company that does not require ...

Why don't you get the 15$ base plan and get a 500 minute add-on. As long as you keep renewing your baseplan, the minutes keep carrying over until you use them.
Userlevel 2
Sheila Jordan wrote:

Well that is a waste of money. I will return the phone and find a company that does not require ...

I have that plan and love the $15.00 month plan. You do auto top up and get a !0% credit into your account. you can use it when it adds up and purchase more miinutes. I love this plan and don't give the cell number to anyone but who you really would like to talk to..............minutes last forever. Look into the PREPAID phone plan as opposed to the monthly pay plans. You won't find a cheaper per minute rate I'm willing to bet. Those throw away phone charge up to 50 cents a minute....hardly a cheap way to save on phone minutes.
Sheila Jordan wrote:

I agree with Gloria, I like your Mom originally wanted only a phone I could call someone on.  I did a considerable amount of research and found the Koodo prepaid plan the most cost effective plan out there.  The advantage turned out to be my ability to learn to text and now all my retired friends and myself use it as the preferred method of communication.  And I started out on a flip phone as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sheila Jordan wrote:

Sheila, there is a base cost to maintaining a cellular account, so you will not find a solution that charges only for the minutes used. The cheapest prepaid service I have found is Telus $100 per year ( about $8.50/month) which nets you a limited number of minutes per year. Koodo's plan is great for folks like Mike, who found much greater utility in a cellphone than he expected - he was able to easily add more minutes to his unlimited text plan as needed.
Sheila Jordan wrote:

I have the same problem.I might use my phone maybe 4 times a year.so I would like to do a one time payment for the year,but would like to know it is always ready to use ,[no top ups]  in case an emergency  do you have a plan for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sheila Jordan wrote:

@ Janice
Koodo doesn't have a plan like that even if it's prepaid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sheila Jordan wrote:

Koodo does not, but Bell has?(had) a pay once in advance with no monthly renewals. You really have to dig on their site to find it.

Right now you might use your phone sparingly. I try to discourage people doing what I call the SST (Snowbird or Senior Shortsighted Thing) and turn the phone on only when you want to make a call. The people you phone will get annoyed very quickly that their calls to you are always shunted to voicemail and never returned. Doesn't make for good relationships.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sheila Jordan wrote:

Telus offers 400min 400texts for $100 for the year.
Sheila Jordan wrote:

thank you for your help,  I will try both telus and bell.