Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Define Local Calling Please

With prepaid is local calling based on where you are or is it based on where your number is for? (Ex: phone number is a Moncton, NB number but if I am in Newfoundland is it local to call folks where I am?)

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Whenever you travel to a different area that is not your local calling area your phone will allow you to call people in that local calling area since you are already in it. If they (referring to people in the province or area you're traveling to) call you it will charge them long distance (if they do not have a Canada wide plan) since it would be an out of province number. Hope this helps 🙂
Userlevel 6
Daniel Gunn wrote:

Whenever you travel to a different area that is not your local calling area your phone will allow...

To complement Daniel's great answer, Naomi, people in your local calling zone will still be able to call you free-of-charge [i]for them! You, however, will be paying long distance fees since you're not in your "true" local calling zone. As for [i]you making outgoing calls, your local calling zone follows you around. For example, if you travel to Montreal, then the Montreal zone will be your local calling zone for the duration of your stay. Same if you travel to Toronto or wherever you happen to go to. Even if you call back home, it will be a long distance call because the towers you are connecting to are not located within your "true" local calling zone. The introduction of Canada-wide plans made all of this a WHOLE LOT easier, though! 🙂
So if I have the prepaid plan that includes local evening and weekends can i call people in newfoundland or in Moncton? Which one would not use my booster minutes?
Userlevel 7
Naomi wrote:

So if I have the prepaid plan that includes local evening and weekends can i call people in newfo...

If you live in Moncton it will not use your minutes on nights and weekends. If you call Newfoundland it will use your minutes at $2/minute I believe since it would be long distance. If the person from Newfoundland called you it wouldn't go against them on the nights and weekends.
But what if I am in Newfoundland?
Userlevel 7
Naomi wrote:

But what if I am in Newfoundland?

If you are in Newfoundland you can call people in Newfoundland and it will not use your booster since you are in that calling area and as long as your on your nights and weekends, if not it just uses your booster as if it was a local call. If you call to Moncton it will go against your booster since it would be long distance.
ahhhh ok. Thanks! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Naomi wrote:

ahhhh ok. Thanks! :)

Another thing to mention is with David's answer that is above, if you receive a call while you're not in your normal calling area it will charge you long distance. This happened to me when I was on Telus years ago since I only had a local calling plan at the time so be sure that if you have access to a home phone while in Newfoundland that they call you on that line as opposed to your cell. Either way enjoy your time in Newfoundland! 🙂