Koodo Community
Solved

Data Booster being used for MMS

Pre-paid customer, $15 unlimited text and photo messaging plan, iPhone 8. When I first signed up, I was receiving photo texts without any problem, even though I did not have a data booster added to my account. This makes sense, as it is my understanding that while MMS requires data to be on, you aren't charged for that data usage if you are on the unlimited text and photo message plan.

Today, I added a data booster to have for emergencies only, and when I checked usage later, I found that my 5MB was used from the data booster for receiving photo messages. What gives?
icon

Best answer by Allan M 21 January 2019, 03:12

When you turn on data on your phone to send or recieve a picture message your phone will use data in the background occassionally. Stuff like notifications, updates, apps that arent closed, android services, etc. Will all use data in the background even if you yourself arent doing anything.

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
When you turn on data on your phone to send or recieve a picture message your phone will use data in the background occassionally. Stuff like notifications, updates, apps that arent closed, android services, etc. Will all use data in the background even if you yourself arent doing anything.
This I understand, however the usage history chart very clearly indicates that it was photo messages.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ae you checking the usage on your phone? The usage on your phone just shows how you use your data and doesnt take into account what Koodo counts and doesnt count.
Koodo zero rates MMS so if you look at your usage via the Koodo website it wont be reflected there.
Date/Time Call Type Data Usage Usage Type Charge
20/01/2019 8:11 PM Data Event 1 Picture Msg $0.00
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Could you take a screenshot instead?
My phone's data usage literally went from 0 bytes to 5MB at the same time I received a bunch of photo messages, within 10 minutes of adding the data booster.
Allan M wrote:

Could you take a screenshot instead?

Prefer not to as I omitted my personal information from Koodo's website usage history before pasting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Like I said, your phone can use stuff in the background and 5MB is practically nothing so that can happen very easily.
Use something to crop out and black out your personal info. It's just harder to see just copy and pasting.
5MB isn't nothing when I have manually turned data off for everything on my phone that I possibly can, and am on wifi. I still feel that it is too much of a coincidence.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did you enable iMessage? imessage used data if you sent picture to another iPhone.
Dinh wrote:

Did you enable iMessage? imessage used data if you sent picture to another iPhone.

No, I've disabled iMessage because it causes me headaches all the time when going in and out of wifi. lol
Badge +4
This link might answer or help you out with your question.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Does-MMS-use-chargeable-data/td-p/133935
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
In the usage section here, does it say 5MB used?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From your screenshot, can you look to the right and what did you see at the "Data Usage" and "Usage Type"? Was the "Data Usage" was blank and "Usage Type" was MMS?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

From your screenshot, can you look to the right and what did you see at the "Data Usage" and "Usage Type"? Was the "Data Usage" was blank and "Usage Type" was MMS?

In addition to what Dinh said, you are looking at a different usage page that breaks down every single usage you have on your account. That page is just keeping track of the fact that there was a picture message sent/received but it doesnt say that any data was used.
Dinh wrote:

Data Usage = 1, Usage Type = Picture Msg
Allan M wrote:

In the usage section here, does it say 5MB used?

Yes, in this usage section, data used is 5.332.
qwerty12345 wrote:

Dinh wrote:

Data Usage = 1, Usage Type = Picture Msg

And I should mention, 6x as I received 6 photos
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
And on your phone does it say the 5MB has been used for picture messaging or for another app/service

Allan M wrote:

And on your phone does it say the 5MB has been used for picture messaging or for another app/service

So rather unhelpfully 🙈, I already reset it to run a little test, so I can't answer that question exactly. But I had my sister text me a photo and watched the data. The phone data counter logged 250 KB of data or so from downloading the photo, but I also immediately checked the Koodo website on my desktop and it didn't log any data being used from the booster. Hmm.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I doubted your MMS/Picture message was counted toward the booster. Each photo in the iphone should be around 2,3 MB, and they should mentioned about the MB with the number in data usage.

I would also recheck your data usage in your iphone and see which app is using data (Settings >> Cellular and scroll down) You could also reset the data usage in the phone and test to make sure everything was setup properly. If MMS was indeed counted toward to the booster then you can dispute to Koodo.
Thank you. I'm going to keep a close eye on it for the next few days. It's the first time I've ever added data to my phone so I took all precautions BEFORE adding it to ensure it wouldn't get eaten up in the background, and am keeping close tabs on it right away to make sure I did it right. 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I would edit your APN in your settings and add a few extra characters at the end like "sp.koodo.comzzz"

This should prevent data from working but MMS should still work. When you do really need to use data, just delete the "zzz"