Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Checking Koodo voicemail from a landline or a different mobile phone - is Koodo charging me?

Userlevel 2
I'm on Koodo Prepaid with 200 minutes of voice booster (100 that I paid for + 100 that I got for free for registering my credit card). I know that if I check my voicemail using my Koodo phone, the call time will be counted against whatever minutes I have. But if I check using a landline or a different mobile number, will I still be charged for the time I'm accessing voicemail from that non-Koodo phone? My understanding is that it shouldn't, but the reason I ask is because I was checking out the "Usage History" tab in Koodo Prepaid Self Serve, and it shows all of the calls I made to my Koodo voicemail while I was using my other (non-Koodo) line. Looking at the attached screenshot, you can see the eight voice calls using my non-Koodo phone to access my voicemail (I checked in the Koodo community boards, and the number 6475804001 is the local voicemail access number, and it does correspond to when I made those calls and how long they lasted). So it doesn't make sense to me that Koodo would track my voicemail access from my non-Koodo phone, unless they were actually planning to charge (i.e. count against my allocated minutes) me for it. Thoughts?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Interesting. I'll be tempted to say that the minutes won't be charged because you are not using your phone to make that call. I'll ask the prepaid master to come in to that situation!
Userlevel 2
Small correction to what I said above. One of those eight calls was indeed made from my Koodo phone - the call with a duration of 1m59s (this was my initial call to set up my password and VM, which for security purposes must be done from my Koodo phone). But the other seven calls were all from another line.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's great question, Jake, it's been flagged for Koodo to answer this officially 🙂 I always assumed calling voicemail from a landline did not use up any minutes... I'm as puzzled as you are!
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

It's great question, Jake, it's been flagged for Koodo to answer this officially 🙂 I always ass...

I would be less concerned if the "Originating #" field of the detailed usage history showed the actual number I was using to access my voicemail, but in each case above it showed my Koodo Mobile number (even though in 7 out of 8 times I was calling from a non-Koodo number). Thanks for flagging this to Koodo CS!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Here is the official answer from Ashley

Using another phone doesn't use up booster minutes, even if that call is to your voicemail. In other words you should see that the calls are charged at 0$
Userlevel 2
Robert wrote:

Using another phone doesn't use up booster minutes, eve...

OK, thanks for the update. I was just concerned that I was seeing those calls on the log. And yes, they were all being charged at $0, but I didn't want to take the risk that I'd used up my 200 booster minutes and start seeing something else. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Using another phone doesn't use up booster minutes, eve...

No problem. Have a nice day!
I'm actually having the same problem as the op. I'd purchased 500mins booster on Aug 29 2015. Ever since then, I have only made one call with 1min and 46 secs. My usage history says 10 of 500mins have been used. I did some checking most of those missing minutes are outgoing to 6475804002 with 06, 05 33, 35, 30 secs. My missed calls going to voicemail are being deducted from my booster minutes. I also, checked my voicemail from my landline and noticed my booster minutes were being charged.

Userlevel 7
Tony wrote:

I'm actually having the same problem as the op. I'd purchased 500mins booster on Aug 29 2015. Eve...

So you're saying you're being charged (deducted minutes) when someone leaves you a voicemail AND when you check your voicemail from a landline?
Userlevel 5
Hey Tony? Were you able to resolve your issue? We would love to help! But like Ahmad said, we would need some clarification please 🙂 Let us know!
Hi there, I'm seeing the same issue. When ever an incoming call goes to voicemail, I seem to get charged 5 secs. Also I get the feeling that checking my voicemail from a landline is also being charged.  I seem to be using up my minutes way more than I think I should be. Any help/clarification would be appreciated.
I've been monitoring my minutes very closely the past few days and Robert is right. Although the minutes show up as part of my usage history, the number of minutes I've used on my booster package did not change. I had 170 minutes last night, and it shows I've spent a total of minutes checking messages (through a landline) and rejecting calls today but I still have 170 minutes now.
This situation is in fact true in my case. I just like to know, is my minute being charged for any voicemail (VM)  that someone drops for me? What makes this confusing is that, my usage history always shows an outgoing call to VM at the exact same time as when I miss a call and someone drops me a VM. I think the rule should be made clear by Koodo.

Thanks.