Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Charged for incoming calls after 7PM on $25 plan

Userlevel 2
The title says it all. Basically, I just recently noticed that my talk booster was disappearing much faster than I expected. I started tracking it, and now I realize that I'm being charged for incoming calls after 7PM!

I don't know exactly how many minutes have disappeared from my booster because of this (I was previously on the $35 base plan and this wasn't happening), but it's definitely 200-300 minutes.

This is seriously concerning me. After 7PM + weekends is supposed to be unlimited local outgoing calls PLUS incoming calls.

Are they seriously charging me for incoming calls (when I'm at home) if the caller is from outside the local area? I think that's what's happening.

I'm very confused, and just tried to call customer service but they're closed. I have literally 12 minutes left on my booster right now and I'm not going to buy another one until I get this sorted out.

18 replies

Userlevel 2
BTW - I asked whether all incoming calls were free months ago and a Mobile Master (Jonathan) said they were... https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/the-25-plan-are-all-incoming-calls-regardless-of-the-...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Did you check your usage history through self serve?
It should tell you which calls were charged/deducted. 
Userlevel 2
Mayumi wrote:

It should tell you which calls were charged/...

Hi Mayumi - when I look at my usage history I can see the calls.

For example, there is an incoming call at 8:55PM that was 1 hour an 8 minutes. Under "Usage Type" it says "Minutes", under "Charge" it says "$0.00". This was a call I received last night, and I *know* that 68 minutes were deducted from my talk booster for this call (I noticed my minutes disappearing yesterday when I went into my account to check when my rollover date was - this call is the one that tipped me off).

So even though it was after 7PM, and I'm on the $25 plan, my booster minutes were used for this incoming call. I was at home (so in my local calling area) when I received the call, and the caller is in the same province as me but outside of my local calling area (again, this shouldn't matter since it was incoming and I was within my local calling area).

Have you ever heard of anything like this before?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

Doesn't  "Booster Usage" show you how many minutes you have, how many you used, and how many minutes left ?

Add: If you have any doubt about your charge, you can always call customer service. *611 from your Koodo phone(It doesn't use your minutes)
They should be able to explain/help you.
Userlevel 2
Mayumi wrote:

That's what I'm thinking! I had a 500 minute booster on my account, and since I'm careful about how I manage my minutes since I switched the the $25 plan, I have used about 100 minutes in the past month. BUT, since these incoming calls are being counted towards my booster usage, about 450 minutes total have been deducted.

I guess I'm going to have to call customer service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

One of  scenario I can think of is that your area code.Maybe system doesn't recognize your area code and physical location are matching...?

I definitely call them. Koodo's customer service is usually good. 
I hope you can clear this issue.
(Sorry, My edited comment came after your reply.)
Userlevel 2
Mayumi wrote:

No worries, I saw your edit 🙂.

Both calls came from within the same area code, and it's the same area code I've had since I started using Koodo.

It's definitely a strange problem. I'm going to call them when they open tomorrow. I'll be sure to come back and post what happens for future reference in case someone else has the same problem.
Userlevel 2
I just went through my account usage and it's 424 minutes of incoming calls (after 7PM) that has been deducted from my booster. 

Definitely an account problem.
Userlevel 5
Hey Rosie! The $25 base plan doesn't come with unlimited incoming calls, the $35 base plan does http://koo.do/1RuY1i1. Unfortunately the information that Jonathan provided was incorrect. Can you please send us a detailed e-mail on this secured link http://koo.do/11eMLdy and choose "Social Media" as a category? We'll see what we can do to help you out!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Anna wrote:

Hey Rosie! The $25 base plan doesn't come with unlimited incoming calls, the $35 base plan does&n...

So what is  "7pm Unlimited Evenings & Weekends Calling" means?
Just outgoing calling?
OP is talking about calls after 7pm.
Userlevel 5
Anna wrote:

Hey Rosie! The $25 base plan doesn't come with unlimited incoming calls, the $35 base plan does&n...

Oh wait a second, I seem to have confused myself. You're absolutely right Mayumi, incoming calls after 7pm should not be charged if Rosie is in her local calling zone. We would definitely need to take a look at the account to see what's going on! Rosie, feel free to either call us in at *611 or send us an email so we can investigate further!
Userlevel 2
Anna wrote:

Hi Anna - so this is a VERY delayed reply, but I just sent that email (along with a link to this thread).

What happened was I actually switched to the $35 plan and totally forgot about this issue. Last month I switched back to the $25 plan, and just now (while I was on an incoming call), I almost ran out of booster minutes.

That's when I remembered that I made this post months ago and came back to track down the replies.

Thanks for the link, I hope this gets figured out soon. As far as I'm concerned I've lost probably $35 in booster minutes because the incoming calls were being billed even after 7PM, while I'm in my local calling zone, on the $25 plan.
Userlevel 7
I was not wrong. If you were to go outside your local zone between 7PM and 8AM, then yes, all calls outgoing and incoming would use your booster minutes, but if you're in your home zone and receive a call it shouldn't charge you anything between those times.
Userlevel 2
FYI - I just got off the phone with *611 and we figured it out.

I'm in Nova Scotia, but for some reason when someone called me it appeared as if my time zone was Eastern Standard Time (when it's actually Atlantic Standard Time).

This meant if I got a call at 7:10PM (my local time), Koodo was seeing the call as being received at 6:10PM.

I was being billed for incoming calls until 8PM (my local time), not 7PM as the plan specified.

The first agent I got had no idea what was going on, tried to tell me I was wrong, etc. I asked for a supervisor. He created a ticket and it's being looked into.

Long story short, if you see this post check your usage history and make sure the time is being reported correctly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rhuben Rosie wrote:

I'm in Nova Scotia, but for some...

Thank you for your update 🙂
Userlevel 2
Rhuben Rosie wrote:

No problem Mayumi - I would encourage everyone in the Atlantic Time Zone to check their usage at this point. Even the supervisor I spoke to said it can't be an isolated issue.

I did get a generous account credit BTW. So kudos to Koodo for that.

Really annoying (I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with customer support today), but glad it's finally dealt with.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rhuben Rosie wrote:

Agree with Mayumi, it's lovely when people come back to report the outcome of problems. Great that you got it sorted at last!
Userlevel 2
Rhuben Rosie wrote:

I wish I'd remembered to update it...4 months ago...when I had this problem.

Like I said, I switched from that plan to the $35 plan for a few months and forgot about this. Once I switched back, it happened again and I remembered this post.

Hopefully it comes up in the search if anyone in the future has this problem. It's class action law suit bad...