Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Charged 5MB before even start using anything?

I've just activated my SIM card, booster plan, online account, etc. But when I check my booster plan, it's already 5.674MB used - which is impossible, since I just activated things 30 seconds ago and I'm connecting to a wifi right now...
Tried to call the customer service and apparently that'll cost me $5... Slightly worried if I've made the right decision to use koodo now...

13 replies

Userlevel 7
On a 3g or 4g lte network it's not impossible that between the time you setup your phone and however long it took to connect to the Wifi network during power up, your phone started communicating with the Internet.

Check your onboard data counter. You may be surprised to see that it's close to or over 5mb already.

What phone do you have?
Chad Burr wrote:

On a 3g or 4g lte network it's not impossible that between the time you setup your phone and howe...

I've got an iphone 6. I haven't reset statistics for a while but even that total number is less than 1MB...
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

On a 3g or 4g lte network it's not impossible that between the time you setup your phone and howe...

Even still, it is possible, Btw talking to customer service won't cost you anything. They only charge If you have them make a change you could have made yourself via self serve.
Chad Burr wrote:

Of course everything is possible... But this is my own phone and I've used it for a while - haven't seen this happened before... 5MB is not a big deal but it got me worried about what's gonna happen in the future...
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

I hear you. Maybe keep data turned off when you're near Wifi? You probably already know how to do that. You phone probably just started updating before the Wifi kicked in is my guess.
Chad Burr wrote:

And the pre-recorded message says: you'll be charged $5 for this... to avoid... ask the koodo community...
Seems like a $5 charge for sure...
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Did you say technical support?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

What option did you choose?
Chad Burr wrote:

I chose to talk to a rep? Don't think I've heard the choice of technical support?
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Just press option 6. You're not charged for disputing billing/billing inquiries, only for things you can do on self-serve yourself like top-up or change plans
Chad Burr wrote:

OK then. Thanks for the help! I guess I'll leave it for now until it happens again...
Chad Burr wrote:

OK then. Thanks for the help! I guess I'll leave it for now until it happens again...
Badge +4
It's also worth noting that most if not all Android and iPhone devices are shipped with data pre-enabled from the factory. This feature is 'baked' into the phones' firmware. The only way around this is to bypass the initial setup of the phone and gain access to the Settings menu to disable mobile data. Make sure mobile data is disabled to avoid any further data usage surprises.