Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Cascading phone numbers when moving 2 phones to different networks

I am getting a new iphone which I want to activate on Koodo prepaid. I would like to give my old iphone (on Fido) to my husband. I would like to keep my number, but my husband would like to keep his number also (currently on Virgin). So we need to cascade these numbers, moving my number from Fido to Koodo, and his number from Virgin to Fido. At the same time I would like for him to keep my Fido minutes/credits (all accounts are in my name anyway). Does anybody have any ideas on this?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Oooh nice question... but I don't think you can port out a number without canceling the contract (that would be the easiest).
What I'd do is contact Fido if you can port your number out and keep their plan (tell them you are going to port in a number while keeping this one).
After that your husband can port his number to Fido... 

But it really depends on whether Fido is willing to cooperate 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Oooh nice question... but I don't think you can port out a number without canceling the contract ...

If the fido plan and credits can't be kept you would do the following: 1. Port from virgin to fido first. 2。 Then hand over your iPhone to your husband 3. Then port from fido to koodo.
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

Oooh nice question... but I don't think you can port out a number without canceling the contract ...

This won't work Dennis. As soon as they port out from Virgin to Fido, they keep her husband's Virgin number, but lose her Fido number which they're trying to preserve. I think Sophia's right, Fido would have to play nice for this to work, keeping an account active while letting its number be ported out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Sorry I meant the Virgin number would be ported to Fido as a stand alone account. I just dont see Fido playing nice or being able to do this (regular customer service) unless you go through a Fido super user to set this up
Userlevel 7
you would have to register his number under your fido account by porting it over from virgin. then port your number to koodo when you activate your new phone. all your accounts need to stay active when you port your numbers over. Edit: nvm sophia's answer is way better than mine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Kim wrote:

you would have to register his number under your fido account by porting it over from virgin. the...

Nah, I just typed quicker 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If Fido is not willing to cooperate and if you lose your Fido minutes/credits , you and your husband could move to Koodo 🙂
Thanks for all your ideas. I will contact Fido to see if they will do this. Some additional information here - my old iphone is really old (not even sold in Canada) and will not work on the Koodo network. So it will stay on Fido. So my fallback plan would be to port my husbands Virgin number to my new Koodo account and then he would take over my number on the Fido account. Our numbers would be switched, but, oh well. Koodo really fits our usage pattern, with its non-expiring boosters. I have months of heavy usage and then little usage.
Userlevel 2
karen wrote:

Thanks for all your ideas. I will contact Fido to see if they will do this. Some additional info...

Is there a reason why you couldn't just use up the remaining Fido prepaid minutes, then port your number over to Koodo?
karen wrote:

Thanks for all your ideas. I will contact Fido to see if they will do this. Some additional info...

The reason I wouldn't just use up my Fido minutes is that I normally use very few minutes. I mostly text and have a text plan. So using up my prepaid account would take a long time. On the other hand, my husband would use those minutes to good advantage as he does not text.