Koodo Community
Question

Can't Setup BMO Mobile Alerts to work with my Koodo Prepaid Phone

One bank I deal with (BMO Bank of Montreal) has a "Mobile Alerts" service whereby they can notify you by SMS text message when certain things happen in your account (e.g. a deposit). I have tried setting this up with my Koodo Mobile Prepaid Phone on 4 different occasions to no avail. As part of their setup process they send an SMS message with a verification code, that you have to turn around & enter on the setup page (website). I never receive the verification code (i.e. I don't receive their message). I have verified that SMS text messages DO work on my phone: I have sent/received messages with family. I think the problem is on their end; they deny this and suggest I check with my cell phone provider for misconfiguration on this side. My guess is that they are not properly configured to send messages to Koodo on their end (even though they can probably talk to Bell, Rogers & Telus with no problems). Looking for suggestions on how to resolve this. Thanks.

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

This is information from BMO's FAQs page wrt Mobile Alerts: http://www.bmo.com/home/personal/banking/everyday/managing-money/alerts/faq What type of carrier and mobile device do I need to receive BMO Alerts? To receive text message (SMS) alerts, you will need a service plan with one of the major Canadian wireless providers. To receive alerts within BMO Mobile Banking, you need to be a BMO Mobile Banking customer and have an internet-enabled device including iPhone®️ mobile device, BlackBerry®️††; smartphone or Android®️††† smartphone, or any internet-enabled phone. --- Don't know what their definition of "major Canadian wireless provider" is.
Userlevel 5
From what I understand (from similar topics on here regarding Facebook/twitter) Koodo prepaid doesn't support these short code notification services.
From what I understand (from similar topics on here regarding Facebook/twitter) Koodo prepaid doe...They just send SMS text messages. My Koodo Prepaid base plan has unlimited text messaging in/out.
Userlevel 6
Hi Ian, Jorden is right! This kind of service is not supported on Koodo prepaid.
Hi Ian, Jorden is right! This kind of service is not supported on Koodo prepaid.Please see my request for clarification below.
Yannick - It is just an SMS Text Message. SMS texting DOES work for me - just not this particular one. What is SO DIFFERENT about Koodo & is it just Koodo Prepaid? Please be specific in your reply. Koodo is just a less expensive mobile telephone service running on top of Telus infrastructure. Are you saying they intentionally "hobbled" this?
Userlevel 5
Yannick - It is just an SMS Text Message. SMS texting DOES work for me - just not this particula...hey ian yes they inteiontally "hobbled" theres a few thigns that telus supports and that koodo doesnt unforntantly. for ex. blocking numbers. telus can, koodo cant.
Userlevel 1
Hey Ian, We have seen that some short codes are blocked for prepaid. But you have a point - this is just a text message. The service that you're trying to subscribe to doesn't happen through our service, you are just receiving the sms in order to subscribe to the service. If what you were trying to do was blocked, you would have received a text message on your phone that said something like "the service you're trying to subscribe to is not supported". The issue is with BMO because they are the ones sending the sms. I don't see a reason why we'd block their sms since it isn't a short code, our systems would treat it just like a regular sms. It would be great if you could test the service with another friend's phone that isn't with Koodo. Even though I know this isn't your first choice, your next best option is to receive alerts via email and then have your emails pushed to your phone (as long as you don't have a Blackberry). You can also escalate the matter with BMO themselves. Since we don't trigger the message we can't do anything more than troubleshoot sms issues that you may have - and from what I've seen you don't have any 🙂
Hey Ian, We have seen that some short codes are blocked for prepaid. But you have a point - t...Ashley - see Mustapha's suggestion below that KOODO is blocking this sender, because KOODO erroneously believes that they are sending PREMIUM text messages. Would it be possible for you to either confirm/deny that this blocking is going on at the KOODO end?
Userlevel 1
Hey Ian, We have seen that some short codes are blocked for prepaid. But you have a point - t...Hey Ian, I'd be happy to confirm this but I'd need to know the number that the text messages are being sent from. Can you find this out by contacting BMO?
Hey Ian, We have seen that some short codes are blocked for prepaid. But you have a point - t...I have put a request into BMO. They have a 24-48 hour turnaround so I will post again once I hear back from them.
Hey Ian, We have seen that some short codes are blocked for prepaid. But you have a point - t...Ashley - BMO got back to me and said they are in fact using Short Codes; they gave me code #266-898. Is it possible to unblock this particular short code? As I have already indicated - they are DEFINITELY NOT sending so-called "Premium Text Messages"; there is absolutely no cost to the subscriber for their BMO Mobile Alerts.
Userlevel 1
Hey Ian, We have seen that some short codes are blocked for prepaid. But you have a point - t...Thanks for getting back to me Ian, I'm very suprised that they are using short codes! Based on their steps, I don't see why they'd need to. I'll check to see if the short code you provided has been blocked. As for removing the block, that's up in the air. I'll let you know when I know more.
Userlevel 1
I guess, it is just to be sure that customers will not be getting those kind of paid primium messages, and that is why koodo blocked all short codes SMS service, those companies are using short codes. This blocking is in the interest of Prepaid service customers because koodo cannot bill them those charges if they agree to receive primium SMS.
I guess, it is just to be sure that customers will not be getting those kind of paid primium mes...Thanks for your insight. As I've already indicated, these are NOT "premium" text messages. There is no cost.
I think Mustapha's suggestion comes closest to the truth here - i.e. that KOODO is blocking text messages from BMO because KOODO is protecting its members from "Premium Text Messages" (i.e. where the recipient pays a fee to receive the message). I wish to emphasize that the BMO Alerts are NOT premium text messages; they are completely free. If Koodo is blocking this particular sender, it isn't necessary.
Userlevel 1
I think Mustapha's suggestion comes closest to the truth here - i.e. that KOODO is blocking text ...I hear you Ian, but premium text messages (if activated through your phone) require a short code and the service that you're trying to initiate doesn't require a short code. All you're doing is entering your cell phone number onto BMO's website and they are then supposed to send you a text message with a verification code which you then enter onto their website and the service would begin. Am i correct?
I think Mustapha's suggestion comes closest to the truth here - i.e. that KOODO is blocking text ...You are correct. They implement a verification process so that they don't start sending messages to somebody else's cell phone without their permission. In order for me to receive their Alerts, I must first complete the verification process. I never receive the verification code. BMO checked their systems for me and assured that all is working fine on their end.