Koodo Community
Solved

Can't recieve calls from MagicJack...Used to be able to with Bell

• 28 December 2020
  • 14 replies

Hey guys, I just signed up with Koodo prepaid and ported my number over from bell.  Everything went fine until I tried to call it from my home phone which is a MagicJack.  it says that the number is out of service.  I can call the magic jack number from my cell and other numbers are calling into my cell phone fine.  I seen a few posts about this but no real answer was provided.  I have had this number for years and had no issues with anyone being able to call it, including my magic jack until I ported the number over to Koodo.  Any help would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Sophia 29 December 2020, 05:50

So let's reiterate: you can be called from any number (friend for example) but not your magic Jack? I have used Koodo prepaid since they introduced it but never actually heard of this... 

I'm wondering if this is related to the port in. I know something similar happens with receiving text messages: from certain services that won't work at first while texts from regular numbers work just fine.

The only piece of advice I can offer at this point is wait a week or so and see if it miraculously sorts itself just like the text messaging does... 

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Yay! Glad it finally works… I thought it might be a matter of “riding it out” and I’m happy you didn’t give up :D

well it finally works.  I got an email from koodo welcoming me yesterday, so I gave it a try after I saw that and it worked.  Tested it with another magic jack too and it worked also (both my parents and I all have MJ so I really needed it to work).

I guess the email a from a few days back saying my “activation is complete” was a little misleading eh!?

Thanks for the help folks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Use Skype or Fongo or any voip app that lets you make a free call and try it on your number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So let's reiterate: you can be called from any number (friend for example) but not your magic Jack? I have used Koodo prepaid since they introduced it but never actually heard of this... 

I'm wondering if this is related to the port in. I know something similar happens with receiving text messages: from certain services that won't work at first while texts from regular numbers work just fine.

The only piece of advice I can offer at this point is wait a week or so and see if it miraculously sorts itself just like the text messaging does... 

no….sorry do not have access to one

Cogeco uses the telus switch in Alberta if I remember correctly, cogeco uses VOIP so the switch was ported correctly. (Or because it's dialing in it's the own network the call was made from it was complete) You can also use a Google home to call you if you have  access to one to confirm it.

Sophia….no...I only made a couple of calls out and for a minute each time...so its not that.

Mesmash….I will have to look around and see if anyone i know has bell fiber.  I did have someone call it from a cogeco line and it had no problem...if that helps at all

If you know anyone with Bell fiber (not fibe) internet and has a landline attached to the account get them to call you to see if you have the same result they use VOIP on the fiber network. This can help narrow it down to see if it was properly released from the Bell switch alternatively you can use Google hangouts dialer to call your number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Perhaps a really silly question, but did you perhaps use up your 100 minutes? Does it still work with other numbers even now?

Allen M……...I don’t get why magic jack would all of a sudden be the problem.  My cell was with Bell….the magicjack was fine with it and worked no problem.  Then I port my cell from bell to Koodo and there is a problem…..seems to me like it would be a koodo issue...or even bell.  I mean I may be wrong but I don’t get what would have changed on Magic jacks side.

Meshmash…..i dont have any other voip’s to try on it. 

Is it just magic jack or is it all VOIP services? If its all VOIP services the number port was released incorrectly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I did it on saturday, so yes it would still be in the 1 to 2 business days, however everything else I use to call it is going through fine….

If every other number can call it fine except for your magic jack then more than likely the problem isn't with koodo but is with the magic jack.

Id suggest reaching out to them and see if they can provide any insight: 

https://help.magicjack.com/faq/support/contactus/

I did it on saturday, so yes it would still be in the 1 to 2 business days, however everything else I use to call it is going through fine….

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When did you port over? Typically for a day or two you cannot receive calls while the porting process is ongoing. That's business days too so weekends will extend it.