Koodo Community
Question

Can't reach anyone at Koodo

I have a minimal cell phone plan with Koodo, just $15 a month, but I started using the Google Duo conference call app the other day to talk with three friends (including visual link) and now my phone doesn’t work – I am told instead that I need to use a Canada wide booster top up to restore my phone.  Well, I put $10 into that, but still nothing.  I can’t get through to a Koodo rep because of Covid and their local retail outlet is also closed because of that so I can’t reach them any way at all.  What can I do to find out how to get this phone working again, or failing that to just cancel my plan and get another one from Koodo or some other provider that will work for me?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

" I am told instead that I need to use a Canada wide booster top up to restore my phone.  Well, I put $10 into that,"

So, did you actually buy a booster? Or you put money into your account?

Do you see this booster under your account?

Yes, I called Koodo using their 611 number and put an additional $10 into my account on my credit card, supposedly into my booster account, although the telephone tree for Koodo is so fast and complicated it is hard to tell what your options really are, or what you are buying when you top up your account. (It is scheduled to put another $15 into my account automatically on April 4th).  After I put this $10 in, the phone  seemed to work OK for a while, but now I am told “You’ve used 50% of the data included in your data Booster Add-on” and the phone doesn’t even let me place an ordinary call to my land line phone at home.   I just want to get my regular cell phone service working again, or else upgrade my account to allow me to use the Due app.  Can I talk to a human being about this?

Furthermore, I can’t seem to log into Koodo on line, even though I have a password.  And when I pursue the option of submitting my full name and email address it says it’s not valid.  I feel like I am in limbo here, with no way to contact anyone at Koodo, a cell phone that doesn’t work (even though it is able to continue to take $15 out of my credit card every month).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Furthermore, I can’t seem to log into Koodo on line, even though I have a password.  And when I pursue the option of submitting my full name and email address it says it’s not valid.  I feel like I am in limbo here, with no way to contact anyone at Koodo, a cell phone that doesn’t work (even though it is able to continue to take $15 out of my credit card every month).

Are you talking about using the forgot password link?  Why are submitting a name and email?  Could you have entered a different version of the name or a different email?  Since it is prepaid, it is incredibly difficult to recover an account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
  1. There are two Koodo logins. Double check you are loging in to the Prepaid side of things.
  2. The newest $15 plan gets you unlimited texting, and 250 MB of data each 30 days. If you need calling minutes or more data, you need to purchase these separately.
  3. The older $15 plan gets you unlimited texting. You need to buy minutes and data separately.
  4. You need to add money to your account, THEN purchase your tops from the cash previously placed on the account.
  5. The web interface is goofy on the last day of your 30 day period. Using 611 is the better choice then. You can, of course, use 611 any time.

Thank you David - I was able to log in after all through the “prepaid” account portal. 

I guess I need to know whether my basic account allows me to use Google Duo to chat with my pals without having to pay extra for it - it looks like using Duo uses “data” (of which with my basic account I seem to have very little) whereas when I’m just making a phone call without the visual component it doesn’t need or use up any “data”.  Can you shed any light on this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I havent used Duo, but from a quick search it looks like it is a video chat app.  I dont think you use this app to make regular calls (use talk minutes).  It uses data and wifi to make video calls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you want to video chat, you may be better off going to a post-paid plan since data on pre-paid is relatively expensive. Otherwise, ask your friends to imagine that you are smiling behind your virus mask and settle for regular phone calls.

Do humans still exist at Koodo. I really want to talk to a living person, not a 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We're humans, not a 😁

Please start your own thread and ask away!

Userlevel 3

Thank you David - I was able to log in after all through the “prepaid” account portal. 

I guess I need to know whether my basic account allows me to use Google Duo to chat with my pals without having to pay extra for it - it looks like using Duo uses “data” (of which with my basic account I seem to have very little) whereas when I’m just making a phone call without the visual component it doesn’t need or use up any “data”.  Can you shed any light on this?

Any app (including Duo) on your phone uses “data”, which can either come from Koodo’s mobile network or your WiFi network at home etc.  

As other's have noted, the $15 baseplan contains very minimal data.  If you are not using WiFi for Internet connectivity you will go through this tiny amount of data very quickly, especially if using Duo and streaming apps.  

If you do not have WiFi and only mobile data then you will have to add a lot of data boosters or switch plans to one that is more data heavy.  Staying with the $15 plan and using a lot of data will be more costly adding boosters than going with a plan with more data.