Koodo Community
Solved

BYOD iPhone 7 A1778 with Koodo SIM and Prepaid account activated but still "No Service"

Userlevel 1
Hi There!

Got my SIM card installed yesterday on a renewed iPhone 7 A1778 confirmed unlocked, went through prepaid activation successfully with plan and boosters purchased. I waited overnight and I've cycled power and reviewed the cellular settings, but still showing as "No Service". The "Carrier" does show Koodo 36.0.1 and I have double checked that the SIM card # matches what was activated.

Does anyone have any tips? do this required a call to Koodo?
icon

Best answer by MargWyz 25 June 2019, 00:30

Good news, I used the Koodo support tool and scheduled a call back. They called promptly this morning and once I was connected with the prepaid team they identified the activation issue, reset my contract dates to today by 3pm the phone was fully operational.

Thanks to all for your help, happy ending to this one.
View original

16 replies

Userlevel 1
BTW, also performed a "Reset Network Settings" and this did not improve matters.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What confirms it is unlocked?
Userlevel 1
Amazon seller confirmed unlock, I suppose they could be lying, but normally the Amazon guys are pretty respectable.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Do you have another phone that you can try the sim in? Even just to borrow one for a minute...
Also, can you login to prepaid self service and see your plan and boosters in there?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you checked if your SIM was activated properly? Can you use it in another phone?

Make sure the SIM is working first. It could be an issue with the SIM.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Sofia and Dinh;

I don't have another phone immediately handy, but I can borrow one this weekend to check the SIM in another phone.

Yes, I can login to the prepaid self serve account and I do see my plan and boosters there, everything looks AOK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Check to see if it says A1778 on the back of the phone
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208200
Userlevel 1
Yup, already confirmed, see picture of back of phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can also try a confirmed working sim into this phone. If you head down to a kiosk, they could enter their sim in your phone to see if it works.
Userlevel 1
Thank you everyone for your input, next step will be to swap phones/SIM cards to see if I can rule out either one as the point of failure. I'll report back my findings...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
How to check if it's unlocked : https://www.iphonelife.com/content/how-to-know-if-your-iphone-unlocked-what-means

Try it, but might not be 100% accurate.
Userlevel 1
Ok, I got an iPhone 6s Plus already working on Koodo prepaid and I swapped the SIM cards. The result was that the iPhone 7 immediately started in the Koodo network and I was able to make and receive calls. This makes me feel pretty confident that the iPhone 7 is working just fine and is not locked in any way. At the same time I put the new SIM card that I got last week into the known working iPhone 6s Plus and that phone was then showing NO SERVICE.

So I know the iPhone 7 works just fine on Koodo, what are the right next steps? Do I return the SIM card to the Koodo store and request a replacement or should I contact Koodo Support to see if something went wrong in their activation process?

I feel like I’m getting closer, thanks to everyone who has provided input so far
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ok, I got an iPhone 6s Plus already working on Koodo prepaid and I swapped the SIM cards. The result was that the iPhone 7 immediately started in the Koodo network and I was able to make and receive calls. This makes me feel pretty confident that the iPhone 7 is working just fine and is not locked in any way. At the same time I put the new SIM card that I got last week into the known working iPhone 6s Plus and that phone was then showing NO SERVICE.

So I know the iPhone 7 works just fine on Koodo, what are the right next steps? Do I return the SIM card to the Koodo store and request a replacement or should I contact Koodo Support to see if something went wrong in their activation process?

I feel like I’m getting closer, thanks to everyone who has provided input so far

Did you buy this prepaid SIM at a Koodo store?
If so, I would go back to the store and request a new SUM. You can ask them to try this SIM on their phone too. So, they can see if the SIM is damaged or not.
Userlevel 1
Yes, it was purchased from a Koodo store in Toronto, I’ll go back tomorrow AM and ask them to test and replace it if necessary.
Userlevel 1
Good news, I used the Koodo support tool and scheduled a call back. They called promptly this morning and once I was connected with the prepaid team they identified the activation issue, reset my contract dates to today by 3pm the phone was fully operational.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Good thing you got it sorted out and thanks for shedding light