Koodo Community
Question

auto top up stops working

• 10 September 2019
  • 11 replies

I have had a Koodo prepaid 15$ base plan for the last 5 years. My auto top-up for the prepaid amount has always gone through my Visa without a glitch (Visa expires in 2021). In August the billing did not go through my visa account, instead it was deducted from a credit balance I have had as a result of the 10% auto topup discount. Today my Koodo account is showing that the account has expired (it expires tonight). In a panic I added $30 to the account in case the auto top-up doesn't work again. Has anyone had this issue before?

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unless itnhasnt been topped up in 90 days it should not be expiring.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Log into self serve and check Phone services => Usage summary to display the status the service reps see. The initial welcome page often comes up short.

The prepaid site has gone from high-school level to kindergarten around your renewal date. Any organization that posts on the welcoming page that your account has been suspended while they can still dip into your payment source obviously is not customer oriented. Takes a few days for ths bogus message to disappear.

But why did it not auto-renewed in August? It has gone through my credit card from day 1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BTW, just a heads up, change your base plan now that you have to manually top up.. the new one offers data for the same price.

Not sure why your credit card was rejected, you are actually the second person to report that this week!
My account is not suspended but under "automatic top-up" it says " start of Sep 10, 2019" but the amount is showing $0. It also starts that I have registered for automatic top-up.

On the top of every page it says base plan expired. May be I should cancel the automatic top-up and then register again with a different credit card to trigger the auto top-up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Does your plan still work right now? I would wait till tomorrow and see if it renews after all, prepaid self service does have some funny bugs.
Userlevel 4
This happened a few months ago to some including myself. They claimed that my automatic top-up did not go through and so they deducted it from my Current Balance. I called in and they said they didn't know why that happened and reversed the deduction from my Current Balance and debited my Visa. Now I believe that it was somehow a "dry run" for what is actually happening now. No longer can we "bank" the 10% for auto top-up. It shows as a credit this month and then is deducted from what you owe next month. In my case $15. I have not seen the heading of what Bob shows on his account. But it is poorly worded. It says you are expired under Account Status, then it says in the box to disregard if you have funds in your Current Balance or are on automatic top-ups. Then in the same box the next sentence says you are suspended so make a payment. My account expired at the end of 6th of September and renewed on the 7th of September, so mine worked the way they want it to this time. I think we on Prepaid, will have to watch our Accounts a lot closer than previously until they clear up the confusion and correct it. In your case Olive, does it show more than your base plan accumulated in your Current Balance ? If it does, it would show Amount Due $0. If you look at Bobs example above it is both clear and confusing , Current Balance $6.00 , Amount Due $9.00, but then he is told to top-up before Dec. 17 or he'll be chopped off. Bob, did yours go through today without a glitch ? I agree with your whole paragraph Bob, that "The prepaid site has gone from high-school level to kindergarten around your renewal date. etc. etc. "
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you look at Bobs example above it is both clear and confusing , Current Balance $6.00 , Amount Due $9.00, but then he is told to top-up before Dec. 17 or he'll be chopped off. Bob, did yours go through today without a glitch ? I agree with your whole paragraph Bob, that "The prepaid site has gone from high-school level to kindergarten around your renewal date. etc. etc. "

Baseplan renewal was due Sept. 8. This is posted morning of Sept. 10. Service still works, but self-serve still shows same not-so-friendly greeting. In Phone Usage tab, all the boosters are there but SUSPENDED. Credit card has not been charged according to on-line banking. With a $15 baseplan, the existing balance of $6 should have ended up with a debit of $9. At least they got that right.

Just tried to do a manual top up and they are unable to process the credit card that's been valid for the last 4 years. AND MY SERVICE IS CUT OFF. Can't even phone 611. Ugh!!!!

Changed that credit card for another and did a manual payment just to get service reinstated successfully. Transaction processed, service reinstated, but still says Baseplan Expired.

What a drump of a company to deal with. Gonna cancel auto top ups and everything else as soon as balances run out. BTW: You may have to re-start your phone to get things working again.
Userlevel 4
It is more than obvious that there are a bunch of problems with this new system for some people. Some on here spoke about there were going to be problems with it. I have no knowledge of why the old system was changed. My thoughts though are that Koodo gave us the 10% for having automatic top-ups. Fair ball, they are guaranteed their money. However Prepaid folks were "banking" their 10% and waiting for periodic specials to appear to buy. Now we were getting double minutes or data, with their money. Now the 10% is credited as Current Balance and deducted from your next base plan top-up. Now if you want to buy boosters, Koodo is paid with our actual cash and not their 10% credits. If the system were working for everyone, like it did for me and not Bob or Olive and probably a lot more, Bob would have been debited $9.00 on his CC and not have had to top-up with another CC to get his account to kick back in. I think it was Triggered that spoke of the programmers lack of experience, guess he was on to something. There are a lot of bugs in this rollout.
My base plan was renewed this morning. Koodo sent the usual 'thank you for using automatic top-up... your plan has been renewed for 30 days'' text message. I went into my account and sure enough they have deducted 15$ from my account balance but credited 1.5$ for auto top-up. I also checked my visa and the payment was not processed to my credit card. I thought the 1.5$ credit is only applicable to auto top-ups via credit/debit cards???

I am just happy that I no longer see the nasty comment about my 'account has been suspended...'. Account status is now 'active'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From the look of things, folks on auto top up should ignore self-serve entirely for the few days surrounding your scheduled renewal, unless your service gets cut.

Positive suggestion: Instead of just spitting out the automatic top-up succeeded text, the system should send you a warning text if your scheduled renewal didn't go thru for whatever reason, and give you 24 hours grace to solve the problem. At least you could call 611 and make a payment there and get some clarification. What you see in self-serve is contradictory and singularly unhelpful.

Who knows, they might even collect some renewals faster that way.