Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Are Talk boosters for prepaid really Canada-wide?


My Talk Booster minutes seem to be going down twice as fast as they should. When I call family out of my city I always get the message that I am calling a long distance number and might have higher charges. Why am I getting this message for a call within my province? From the description of the Talk Booster only call to the US should be use double minutes.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
That is odd, Jean, yes the boosters are definitely Canada wide. I have never received this message either... what is your base plan? The $15 one and what Talk booster did you buy?
I have the unlimited texting base plan for 15 dollars and I added the 500 minutes Talk Booster. I just got off the phone to *611 and was told me long distance in Canada is 2 for 1 and USA is 5 for 1. The Koodo website clearly states that the Talk Booster is Canada Wide and that USA calls are 2 for 1 and International is 5 for 1. The tech support from Koodo also told me that Canada Wide is only for post-paid plans. That does not make sense since it is called the Canada-wide Talk Booster. Either their website is wrong or the tech support rep did not know what he was talking about,.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jean wrote:

I have the unlimited texting base plan for 15 dollars and I added the 500 minutes Talk Booster. ...

Uhhhh.... the rep was wrong I'm afraid. Canada minutes are 1 unit (5 cents), US minutes are 2 units (10 cents) and International minutes are 5 units (25 cents). There is no local minutes with the $15 base plan, only with the $25 and higher base plans, local minutes are included. That is why I asked what base plan you're on 🙂
Userlevel 5
Jean wrote:

I have the unlimited texting base plan for 15 dollars and I added the 500 minutes Talk Booster. ...

Awkward... the Koodo Rep is totally wrong. Sophia is indeed correct with the minutes. You have 500 talk minutes with your $25 talk booster. As long as you call anyone that is in Canada, it'll only use 1 per minute like normally. However, when you call someone in the States, it will use 2 per minute. Then international will be 5 per minute. Overall: Your talk booster minutes are Canada-wide and even more!
I am being charged 1 to 1 minutes for only local minutes that are supposed to be Canada-wide. I did some testing this morning because I had a feeling my minutes were going down much too fast but because Koodo prepaid does not have detailed billing I could not track my usage with the info on the website. I could not use the history on my phone either because I have been out of the country a lot and using local SIMs from a bunch of different countries.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jean wrote:

I am being charged 1 to 1 minutes for only local minutes that are supposed to be Canada-wide. I d...

I'm a bit confused now, Jean, when you say you've been charged 1 to 1 minutes for local minutes... what do you mean? Local = long distance (no difference) so whether you call BC or Ontario (or your own province, town or street).... that should all be 1 unit per minute. Is that not what you are being charged?
Jean wrote:

I am being charged 1 to 1 minutes for only local minutes that are supposed to be Canada-wide. I d...

I am just as confused as you are. I have not tested calls until today. Koodo is good about updating your booster usage right away in your account so you can know how many minutes were used by your previous call. I did two in province long distance calls and two local calls. The long distance calls cost me double minutes and the local calls cost me single. Since the Talk Boosters are listed as Canada-Wide this makes no sense. What makes even less sense is that the Koodo tech support rep tried to tell me that was normal and that I was not reading their website correctly. All my test calls were between 1 min 15 seconds and 1 min 20 seconds. For the local calls 2 minutes were deducted from my Talk Booster. For the long distance calls 4 minutes were deducted from my Talk Booster. P.S. I expected the rounding-up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jean wrote:

I am being charged 1 to 1 minutes for only local minutes that are supposed to be Canada-wide. I d...

Wow, that is EXTREMELY odd!!!! What you should do is probably send an email with that exact information you just posted about, because ANY Canada calls should definitely only take 1 unit. Have them investigate, the email address is here: http://koodomobile.com/en/on/contact.shtml (Tab Email Us). Let us know when you get it sorted, Jean 🙂
Jean wrote:

I am being charged 1 to 1 minutes for only local minutes that are supposed to be Canada-wide. I d...

Isn't it odd that there is no option for technical support in the eMail link? I wonder if I should choose "Network" or "Other" as the topic? But they do have a nice list of how much they will charge you for the different services they offer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jean wrote:

I am being charged 1 to 1 minutes for only local minutes that are supposed to be Canada-wide. I d...

They won't charge you for sorting out your problems 🙂 Only for changes that we can do ourselves in self service. Don't hesitate to mail them 🙂
According to the website, it states that you would only be charged 2 units per minute for LD calls that are being made to the United States. Also, if you don't add the 1, it will give you the message that you may be charged for log distance. It's a standard message that must be in there by law. The fact that it's the long weekend does not matter who is staffed. Give another call and see what answer you get. You can request to speak to a supervisor if you aren't getting anywhere.

Reply