Koodo Community

Community

Add Anytime Minutes option to prepaid

Userlevel 6
I was checking out prepaid for my mom, and I noticed Koodo doesn't have an anytime minutes option like many other MVNOs in Canada. For very light users (like my mom, or admit it, yours too!), this would be an interesting option. For example, at Petro-Canada, you can buy a prepaid flip phone for $69, and then get a $25 card that expires after 120 days, so you just need to buy 3 cards to cover a whole year. That amounts to $6.25 a month. Granted, it doesn't give you many minutes, and the price/minute ratio is atrocious, but remember we're talking very light users here. Koodo prepaid starts at $15 a month, and you only get SMS, no minutes unless you buy boosters. Anyway, that's my idea. Offer anytime minutes for prepaid users! If not, well.... I tried, lol!

7 replies

Userlevel 1
All valid points TopperCNC! When we came out with prepaid, we had low to medium talkers in mind. One thing that sets us apart is that our boosters never expire. If the minutes in the talk booster aren't used up they'll just carry over until you renew your next base plan 🙂 Thanks for sharing your idea, we'll definetly keep it in mind!
Userlevel 6
Thank you for your answer Ashley! Boosters are indeed awesome since they don't expire, but they target a primarily younger audience since the emphasis is put on SMS (we get that Koodo as a whole tries to appeal a little bit more to a younger audience, nothing wrong with that!). However, many seniors (or any person who doesn't care for SMS) would like voice instead of SMS. And they mostly aim for the lowest possible price since it's gonna be used for emergencies/quick updates. Right now, I keep a line on my account for my mom, and I have the old $15 plan (50 minutes) for her. It serves her well, but I pay $15 + 911 + taxes every month. When I do the math though, the $25/120 day expiry prepaid cards offered by competitors are appealing, because it would reduce my costs for her line to $6.25 a month. Right now, I spend a bit north of $210 a year for her line with Koodo. This would drop to $75 with PetroCan. I like Koodo and would love to keep her line on my account, but saving $135 a year is hard to ignore. I'll keep an eye about Koodo prepaid for some more time before I do anything silly though! Please Ashley, implore the Koodo gods to let El Tabador tag team against the competition and bring anytime voice minutes to the prepaid table! I'll be first in line!
Userlevel 1
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Thank you for your answer Ashley! Boosters are indeed awesome since they don't expire, but they ...

I'll try my best TopperCNC 🙂
Userlevel 6

Thank you for your answer Ashley! Boosters are indeed awesome since they don't expire, but they ...

Much appreciated Ashley! I'll be watching old wrestling recordings in the meantime...
Userlevel 6
Ashley (or any other rep): Anything new regarding this? I'm just about ready to port out my mom's number, but would like to know Koodo's position on this first. I know about boosters and all, and how great they are, but I just want to end up paying $25 every 120 days for her line since it's for emergencies only. So, what's the verdict?

Ashley (or any other rep): Anything new regarding this? I'm just about ready to port out my mom...

Looks to me like 7-Eleven SpeakOut is probably the cheapest way to go for your mom. This is what I got for my grandparents. The minimum payment is just $25 per year. $15 is eaten per year by 911 fees but that still leaves $10 = 40 minutes of talk, and it's easy to load on more if you need more talk time than that.
Userlevel 6

Ashley (or any other rep): Anything new regarding this? I'm just about ready to port out my mom...

hey bycrom, thanks for the tip even though my thread is more than 6 months old. I'm in Quebec though, and as with many other things, 7-Eleven doesn't serve QC residents, which is why I had to use Petro-Can for my mom's line.