Koodo Community

Tab with no logical resolution?

• 7 September 2019
  • 9 replies

So I've had a Koodo prepaid phone for approximately 7 years. The entire time my account has always been paid and I'm in good standing.

When i I began my service with Koodo each month I paid my balance and stayed in good standing I would accumulate credits on "my tab".

A few years ago Koodo changed their policy and restricted "my tab" at $150 maximum.

i continued to pay my bill and be a valued customer. At least I would think.....

i went into a Koodo dealer today wanting to add another phone to my account.

After spending about a half and hour on hold and speaking with a customer service agent enquiring why my $150 tab has disappeared. They mysteriously found my $150 credit. The agent refused to speak to their Koodo representative advising she would need to call a different department called Customer Channels. Argghhhh.

After she called, waited on hold, explained everything they again verified I do have a $150 credit on my tab.

They go on to explain I can only use the credit for a phone replacement on my existing number not to add another phone to my account.

So, Koodo will pay for a replacement phone on my existing account but (don't want to pay for the same phone and add another monthly plan/phone). How does that make any sense?

Technically I could opt to get a replacement phone on my existing account (which Koodo would pay for) and then transfer that phone and create a new account. That just takes me a bunch more time dealing with Koodo agents and beuracracy. In the end Koodo still pays the $150 subsidy but they'd prefer I pay for 1 phone and 1 contract rather than having twice the business? How does this make any logical business sense???

If anyone has insight to this, or perhaps I may have simply encountered a multitude of people who didn't really know how or what to do.

Please advise if you can help!!!!!!!!

Many thanks,

Todd Meier

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Tabs have NEVER been transferrable between lines, in all the years Koodo has existed. You can use the tab on your current line to get a new phone and use it on any line you please, but you cannot use the positive balance on your current line plus the tab (s, m, l or xl) from a different line.
Switching a cellphone to a new line is also not "a bunch of extra steps". You simply move the sim card from one phone to another. Done.
I appreciate your reply Timo. I'm sure you are correct when saying you never could transfer a positive tab to create a new account but my question would be why wwould Koodo be adverse to this happening?

In my case they would simple be enabling enabling a customer to create another account. The result of which is twice the business and twice the revenue. It all seems positive from Koodo's and a customer's perspective.

Lastly, do you happen to know if I order a replacement phone online, is it simply shipped to me with a new SIM card? They don't actually transfer the service so as to leave me without service while I await delivery of the new phone? This would be the most practical and logical way of doing the transfer but since I've never actually done this I'd thought it prudent to ask rather than assume.

Thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I appreciate your reply Timo. I'm sure you are correct when saying you never could transfer a positive tab to create a new account but my question would be why wwould Koodo be adverse to this happening?

In my case they would simple be enabling enabling a customer to create another account. The result of which is twice the business and twice the revenue. It all seems positive from Koodo's and a customer's perspective.

Lastly, do you happen to know if I order a replacement phone online, is it simply shipped to me with a new SIM card? They don't actually transfer the service so as to leave me without service while I await delivery of the new phone? This would be the most practical and logical way of doing the transfer but since I've never actually done this I'd thought it prudent to ask rather than assume.

Thanks again!

True I guess but it's unfortunately not how it works. Promos and tabs just aren't transferable.

For ordering online, the phone will come with a new sim card that isn't yet activated. You can either choose to swap the one in your current phone into the new phone, or activate the new sim card that they give you online and use that one.
Thank you Alan M, I guess that is how I will solve this dilemma. Much appreciate your help.

This also seemingly tells me (and every Koodo user) you're best to use the $150 the moment it caps out. There is absolutely no benefit to keeping it as it won't increase any. Use it and began accumulating again is the most beneficial way to deal with this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thank you Alan M, I guess that is how I will solve this dilemma. Much appreciate your help.

This also seemingly tells me (and every Koodo user) you're best to use the $150 the moment it caps out. There is absolutely no benefit to keeping it as it won't increase any. Use it and began accumulating again is the most beneficial way to deal with this.

They have since stopped the program. Everyone got maxed out to $150 and they ended the program so once you use this credit you will not accumulate any more. But yea, there was never really any benefit of saving it as it always stopped at $150.
Interesting to hear and know. Thank you very much for your insight and help.

That probably explains why my Tab showed at $150 last week and seemingly disappeared as of my Koodo dealer visit yesterday.

When i logged in last night it still showed my Tab balance at $0 but they now have a pop up that says something to the effect of "Congratulations, you now have a $150 balance to apply towards a new phone or upgrade".

The trouble is when I looked at or selected a replacement phone they would show a credit of whatever sum and although the initial charge was $0 they still wanted a tab (or additional fee) of $5 or more each month to add to my billing. Nothing ever synced or showed my $150 was being applied?

Any idea why that might be? I can send a screenshot if that might help you or anyone else better understand what I'm speaking about.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The $150 positive tab balance wouldve been converted into a $150 credit offer on the account to be used towards a phone. It would be auto applied to all the phones you chose.
If there was an upfront cost, it would cover that.
If there wasnt an upfront cost (or the upfront cost was $50 let's say), the remaining credit would go towards the tab.

So for example:
A phone on tab small, $240 or $10/month for 24 years, would now be, $90 or $4/month for 22 months (plus $2 on the 23 month).

You can send a screenshot so we can confirm this though or further explain it to you!
The whole ordeal is a tad hokey pokey to be honest.

Although I have a $150 credit for a phone upgrade when I investigated further my $150 credit is only usable on phones at least a few years behind. Otherwise if I choose to pick a newer phone I am unable to keep my existing plan. I'm forced into accepting one of their current plans. A person would somewhat expect cell plan pricing to go down as we move into the future but not Koodo's they've increased.

But wait I do have an option to keep my existing plan.....all I'm asked to do to keep my existing plan with a newer phone is pay full retail price. Which is fine but when I selected that option I cannot use my $150 credit, nor any other Koodo subsidies. Full price only!

I finally selected an older I-phone 8 and although my pay now price was $0 they still insisted on my credit card information? Why so I can pay my $0 balance? Even after all this nonsense my monthly fee increased by $9/month as a charge for me to pay the OLD phone they have partially subsidized.

Fairly shady business practices in
my view. Perhaps it's just me?

Id appreciate hearing others take on this and/or Koodo's business practices in general.

Please speak your thoughts if you read this post!

Thanks to anyone willing to participate and add their thoughts or experiences.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The whole ordeal is a tad hokey pokey to be honest.

Although I have a $150 credit for a phone upgrade when I investigated further my $150 credit is only usable on phones at least a few years behind. Otherwise if I choose to pick a newer phone I am unable to keep my existing plan. I'm forced into accepting one of their current plans. A person would somewhat expect cell plan pricing to go down as we move into the future but not Koodo's they've increased.

When the positive tab/No Tab discount ended, Koodo dropped their phone plan prices by more than 10% to make up for the difference. You were free to switch to one of those plans at the time. Over time, plans changed with more focus on data.

But wait I do have an option to keep my existing plan.....all I'm asked to do to keep my existing plan with a newer phone is pay full retail price. Which is fine but when I selected that option I cannot use my $150 credit, nor any other Koodo subsidies. Full price only!

The positive tab credit should work for all phones. If it didnt you need to speak with a rep. I recommend sending them a private message via facebook or twitter.

I finally selected an older I-phone 8 and although my pay now price was $0 they still insisted on my credit card information? Why so I can pay my $0 balance? Even after all this nonsense my monthly fee increased by $9/month as a charge for me to pay the OLD phone they have partially subsidized.

This is the tab. There is no such thing as a free phone. It is not a phone subsidy, it is a temporary loan for your phone. This was also the case with the old tab back then.

Fairly shady business practices in
my view. Perhaps it's just me?

I actually appreciated when the tab became more transparent and they split the cost of the tab from the plan

Id appreciate hearing others take on this and/or Koodo's business practices in general.

Please speak your thoughts if you read this post!

Thanks to anyone willing to participate and add their thoughts or experiences.