Koodo Community
Question

Koodo in bed with scammers?

Is it normal for Koodo to knowingly help commit fraud on its customers? I have a recording with a member with retention management team who seems to think as long as a fraudulent charge comes from a third party, Koodo will help enable that fraud." Charges relating to an "application" purchase for my home phone- which is impossible to do-records show proof, also charged for dialing 411 twice, again records show different. yet was argued with for over an hour. Seems to me Koodo is now very cool with passing fraudulent charges onto customer, maybe getting a cut? Still waiting for callback from senior management. I Used to be a big fan of Koodo, brought people over, now looking at other Carriers.

23 replies

Senior Management please reach out to me. I don't want to go more public with this, but I am willing to do so. Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi,
411 is the directory service number, you would be charged if you dial that one. Have you checked if you dialed it in your billing? https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/directory-assistance-phone-numbers
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Charges labeled as application store typically originate with Triton Global. You would need to dispute any charges directly with them. You can find details here: http://tritonglobal.ca/do-you-have-phone-bill-charges-from-triton-global-or-fastrack/
Hey Dinh,
It does show on my bill's call records that I called them, however nothing in my call records on my actual cell phone which cannot be modified (at least I don't know how to), which is proof. Also since Google has existed for the past couple decades or so I have had no need to call them. Honestly surprised 411 is still in business. The number Koodo gave me to dispute it was for 411.ca which is a different company. No toll free phone number to call 411 directly. Would be nice if Koodo stood up for their customers, instead of just passing along scams to them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hey Dinh,
It does show on my bill's call records that I called them, however nothing in my call records on my actual cell phone which cannot be modified (at least I don't know how to), which is proof. Also since Google has existed for the past couple decades or so I have had no need to call them. Honestly surprised 411 is still in business. The number Koodo gave me to dispute it was for 411.ca which is a different company. No toll free phone number to call 411 directly. Would be nice if Koodo stood up for their customers, instead of just passing along scams to them.

Call logs on a cellphone can be easily deleted with a couple of keypresses.
Hey Timo, When triton is a known scam company(search it in Google) you would think Koodo might block them from their customers. Also a home phone with no access to the internet cannot purchase an application. Also call records show no long distance or 900 numbers were dialed. To me this seems very obvious a scam, but hey, that's just me.

Hey Dinh,

Perhaps the entire log can be, but not individual numbers on certain days. If they can be, I don't know how. Also 411 is obsolete thanks to google, thus would never dial them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
"Have you recently received an item on your phone bill from either Triton Global or Fastrack Global Billing Networks and are wondering why? Then please read on for a full explanation.

Triton Global Business Services Inc. is a billing services company which handles transactions between telephone-based service providers and your phone carrier. It is important to understand that we do not perform these services directly; we simply facilitate payment in much the same way as a credit card company would.

So, just as transactions and purchases performed via your credit card appear later on your credit card bill, our clients’ use our payment system to allow them to charge directly via phone, adding the charge to your telephone bill instead.

So, when you see a charge from Triton Global or Fastrack Global Billing Networks Inc. on your bill it is because you have used a premium telephony service which uses our company to process its billing transactions.

Examples of these services may be online charges for digital goods (e.g. downloads for your mobile) and services or traditional telephony services such as directory assistance services or long distance services.

This is why we strongly urge consumers to always ensure they read the terms and conditions of any service which they use to make sure they are fully aware of how they will be billed when using these services and what charges are involved.

Please note that these are third party companies which operate independently of Triton Global and Fastrack.

All of the services are in-bound customer initiated. We do not make any unsolicited outbound calls for any of our client’s services.

Our company operates in strict compliance with both individual carrier (telecom operator) best practices and regulations and also in complete compliance with Provincial and Federal regulations.

All premium telephony based services operating in Canada must, by law, have complete disclosure and transparency of all charges and furthermore these charges must be actively accepted by the consumer.

It is therefore impossible to use any of the services of the clients we bill for unless you have accepted the charges by responding “yes” or “allow” to a text message where the charge is indicated or by pressing a digit on your phone when prompted by an automated response system (e.g. “to continue, press one”).

So if you are unsure as to why you are being charged, when the charges were made and/or where they originated we recommend you contact our customer support billing enquiries team online or call 1-866-340-4990 and select option 1.

We are available to answer all your questions and ensure you are fully aware of why these charges were made and processed by us. We can inform you as to which service was used and provide you with complete details of the transaction for your reference. You may also request that your phone number be blocked to ensure that that number cannot be used in the future for charging such services."
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey Dinh,
Perhaps the entire log can be, but not individual numbers on certain days. If they can be, I don't know how. Also 411 is obsolete thanks to google, thus would never dial them.

Yes, they can.
Userlevel 4
Triton Global and Boku (another similar company) bill for phone services such as radio contests, TV contests, in-app or website premium services (such as dating apps), Playstation Store, Xbox Live and a plethora of phone services like dating lines, medium services, financial advice, etc.

Hey Dinh,
Yes, they can.

As I said, perhaps they can be, but I don't know how on this phone, thus did not.
"Have you recently received an item on your phone bill from either Triton Global or Fastrack Global Billing Networks and are wondering why? Then please read on for a full explanation.

Triton Global Business Services Inc. is a billing services company which handles transactions between telephone-based service providers and your phone carrier. It is important to understand that we do not perform these services directly; we simply facilitate payment in much the same way as a credit card company would.

So, just as transactions and purchases performed via your credit card appear later on your credit card bill, our clients’ use our payment system to allow them to charge directly via phone, adding the charge to your telephone bill instead.

So, when you see a charge from Triton Global or Fastrack Global Billing Networks Inc. on your bill it is because you have used a premium telephony service which uses our company to process its billing transactions.

Examples of these services may be online charges for digital goods (e.g. downloads for your mobile) and services or traditional telephony services such as directory assistance services or long distance services.

This is why we strongly urge consumers to always ensure they read the terms and conditions of any service which they use to make sure they are fully aware of how they will be billed when using these services and what charges are involved.

Please note that these are third party companies which operate independently of Triton Global and Fastrack.

All of the services are in-bound customer initiated. We do not make any unsolicited outbound calls for any of our client’s services.

Our company operates in strict compliance with both individual carrier (telecom operator) best practices and regulations and also in complete compliance with Provincial and Federal regulations.

All premium telephony based services operating in Canada must, by law, have complete disclosure and transparency of all charges and furthermore these charges must be actively accepted by the consumer.

It is therefore impossible to use any of the services of the clients we bill for unless you have accepted the charges by responding “yes” or “allow” to a text message where the charge is indicated or by pressing a digit on your phone when prompted by an automated response system (e.g. “to continue, press one”).

So if you are unsure as to why you are being charged, when the charges were made and/or where they originated we recommend you contact our customer support billing enquiries team online or call 1-866-340-4990 and select option 1.

We are available to answer all your questions and ensure you are fully aware of why these charges were made and processed by us. We can inform you as to which service was used and provide you with complete details of the transaction for your reference. You may also request that your phone number be blocked to ensure that that number cannot be used in the future for charging such services."

Call log checked, no calls to long distance or premium numbers, cannot access internet. Case closed?
Triton Global and Boku (another similar company) bill for phone services such as radio contests, TV contests, in-app or website premium services (such as dating apps), Playstation Store, Xbox Live and a plethora of phone services like dating lines, medium services, financial advice, etc.
Call logs checked, no long distance or premium calls made, home phone that cannot access internet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Call log checked, no calls to long distance or premium numbers, cannot access internet. Case closed?

Which call log was it? The official call log is the one in your PDF bill in your self service. I would suggest you check that bill. If there wasn't any, they couldn't charge you.

Call log checked, no calls to long distance or premium numbers, cannot access internet. Case closed?Which call log was it? The official call log is the one in your PDF bill in your self service. I would suggest you check that bill. If there wasn't any, they couldn't charge you.

Call log in pdf erroneously shows two 411 calls. But actual phone show none. I'm only one who has access to this phone and I don't use 411, because google exists.
Userlevel 4
Your best option would be to contact Triton/Fastrack at 1-866-340-4990 to ask what was the root cause of Application purchase charges on your bill. It doesn't really need to be made directly from the phone if it's related to a web service, just a service that requires the entry of a phone number for billing purposes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Call log in pdf erroneously shows two 411 calls. But actual phone show none. I'm only one who has access to this phone and I don't use 411, because google exists.

Then you could dispute the "accuracy" of the call log. Did you lend the phone to someone else? or someone had access to your phone without your knowledge.

There was always a time and date of the calls and if you don't really know what happened then you need to contact Koodo again and ask.
Your best option would be to contact Triton/Fastrack at 1-866-340-4990 to ask what was the root cause of Application purchase charges on your bill. It doesn't really need to be made directly from the phone if it's related to a web service, just a service that requires the entry of a phone number for billing purposes.
Have tried calling them, just get more run around. I think they believe I will just go away if they make it difficult, what they don't know is, I will take this to a drastic level if need be as I will not be frauded.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Your best option would be to contact Triton/Fastrack at 1-866-340-4990 to ask what was the root cause of Application purchase charges on your bill. It doesn't really need to be made directly from the phone if it's related to a web service, just a service that requires the entry of a phone number for billing purposes.Have tried calling them, just get more run around. I think they believe I will just go away if they make it difficult, what they don't know is, I will take this to a drastic level if need be as I will not be frauded.

You could search forum for several instances of it. DId you ever dial any 1800 or 1888 number for a deal or reward or something or when someone called you from that number you agree or say "yes" for a deal?
Userlevel 4
Also, shot in the dark. Do you have any speed dial buttons on your home phone?

It's not uncommon for some phones to have Directory Assistance bound to a certain key.

Call log in pdf erroneously shows two 411 calls. But actual phone show none. I'm only one who has access to this phone and I don't use 411, because google exists.Then you could dispute the "accuracy" of the call log. Did you lend the phone to someone else? or someone had access to your phone without your knowledge.

There was always a time and date of the calls and if you don't really know what happened then you need to contact Koodo again and ask.

Didn't loan it to anyone, phone has a lock on it. I am waiting on a call from senior management. If they don't fix it, I have other ways(perhaps criminal in nature) that Koodo WILL compensate me for their fraud.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Call log in pdf erroneously shows two 411 calls. But actual phone show none. I'm only one who has access to this phone and I don't use 411, because google exists.Then you could dispute the "accuracy" of the call log. Did you lend the phone to someone else? or someone had access to your phone without your knowledge.

Didn't loan it to anyone, phone has a lock on it. I am waiting on a call from senior management. If they don't fix it, I have other ways(perhaps criminal in nature) that Koodo WILL compensate me for their fraud.

They are not likely calling you. I would try to itemize what happened, 411 or "application charge" and dispute. If you go for CCTS, you would still have to wait for Koodo answer. So you still have to contact Koodo again for the dispute.
Userlevel 4
And just in case, In Koodo's T&Cs:

Purchases
Any purchases you make from a third party and charge to your Koodo account are subject to the terms and conditions imposed by that third party. Koodo only provides a means of payment and does not accept any responsibility for the product or service provided.