Koodo Community

Community

Solved

with the $10 US long distance add on and call forwarding, can I call forward my calls to a US number?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Can you? Yes but you'll be billed differently than you're expecting. Call forwarded calls to the states are billed as if you were roaming and using the phone a without a roaming plan. I think that's currently 1.50 per minute.
That does not make sense when the phone you are forwarding to is a US number. The only 2 options in play here is call forwarding and long distance. I checked the Telus site and they call forward to any north american phone number
Userlevel 7
Paul Rasmussen wrote:

That does not make sense when the phone you are forwarding to is a US number. The only 2 options ...

I know and you can forward to the USA but these roaming packages are Canada only.
Userlevel 7
http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/call_forwarding_to_international_numbers you will be charged long distance according to this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I could dredge up the topic of the poor guy who got charged $900 in one month for forwarding to the US, even though he had unlimited US calling package, but it would just agitate us needlessly. DON'T DO IT! If you have a major need to forward stateside, get yourself a Canadian VoIP number from CallCentric (or other internet provider), forward your Koodo calls to that number, then use CallCentric forwarding service (to anywhere in North America for about a penny a minute) to complete the chain. Easily configurable from your browser. Only downside is that texts will not work directly.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I could dredge up the topic of the poor guy who got charged $900 in one month for forwarding to t...

Have to agree.  This was 2 years ago so things may have changed but I'm the guy.  I got nailed for $400 in LD charges on each of two months by Koodo while I was in the US even though I DID have the unlimited $10 US plan and the $3 call forwarding option.  I also had, thank god, the date, time and name of the rep who sold me the plan plus I insisted they put a note on my account saying there would be no charges.  A supervisor reversed the charges or I'd be hooped.  Now when I go south I call-forward Koodo to my Ooma (VOIP device) and just take it down with me.  I can also call-forward the Ooma to my US cell but the double call-forward makes a bit of echo and lag.  

By the way, a T-Mobile SIM will give you unlimited calls to/from any Canada, US or Mexican mobile even while roaming.  In Calgary they use Telus so coverage is great.  Tmo Data rates are awesome.  If I were you I'd just head south and pick up a TMo sim.  Heck, I might just stay with Tmo once I get home.  Unlimited data, texts, calls for $80 plus 7GB tethering?  Hard to beat that deal.  Just one issue - you have to get a US area code.  For now.  But Tmo will probably come to Canada eventually.  Heads up Koodo - time to step it up a bit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I could dredge up the topic of the poor guy who got charged $900 in one month for forwarding to t...

Glad to see you've found a peaceful solution. But let's read the fine print of T-mobile's user agreement before going whole hog.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html

[b]"Not for extended international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network."

Perfect for someone with a US billing address, US credit card and social security number to pass their credit check.

Probably not for most of us Canucks.

BobTheElectrician wrote:

NO credit check or US Social needed IF you buy your own phone.  I do have a US address but they never asked for it.  I spend 6 months at a time in the US so we will see if the other 6 is a problem for Tmo... I'll get back to you in a year or so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Good to know. I survive with Tracfone several months of the year.

Mentioned the T-Mobile plan a while back but an unfriendly know-it-all tried to smack me in the face with their terms and conditions.
BobTheElectrician wrote:

I'm heading out to PHX tomorrow. Using my Tmo SIM with a 480 area code in Calgary all day today. MMS, texts, voice and data working perfect roaming on Telus. Even typing this message on my Nexus 6 right now. Not a US Social anywhere. Pop into a Tmo store when you get south. Pick a prepaid plan, use your Canadian Visa/MC, give your hotel as the address (if they even ask for one) and you are good to go.