Koodo Community
Question

Why were the low cost data plans replaced with a pay-per-use data plan with 0 minutes?!

I was shopping around to see if there were any "better" plans than my current 35$/ month 1GB data plan, but to my dismay all the plans around that price range are arguably WORSE!

• 30$/month 1GB shock-free but with 0 minutes and you pay for outgoing SMS (seriously? paying for SMS in 2019!)
  • Or 40$/month for no data > pay per use data instead. While the technology looks interesting it's not clear how much the fees are. The info page states it'll use less data to stream videos at a better quality, but that's not a conversion rate, or an estimate, etc.
The only plan above that is 20$ more expensive for 3 more GB (+5GB if you count bonus data)

Koodo team, please improve the online Self-serve site with clearer delineations as to the rates for pay-per-use data, especially if you're going to phase out all the cheaper data plans.

Cheers and thanks,

PS: I'm still a satisfied customer, don't get me wrong. I know the contents of this post imply I'm upset, but I'm more concerned that I can't reasonably change to anything without jumping up by 20$ on my plan (there are no data add-ons at the time of this post's writing).

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The reason why, I think, is because they want to mil out more money from us, customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The $30 1GB was mainly designed to answer the request of CRTC https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/03/09/carriers-offer-low-cost-data-only-plans-crtc/ That offer was bad. I would not take that plan and not recommend it.

Regarding your plan change, I would suggest you wait for promotion period. Last month the rateplan was better. About the PPU rate, it is too expensive. I would suggest you try to maitain your usage within the data amount. If you need it, there are other options with Koodo https://www.koodomobile.com/help/pausing-and-resuming-data
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The data only plans were introduced because the CRTC introduced regulations requiring all providers to offer data only plans. It had nothing to do with replacing phone plans. Deals come and go, but as a general rule prices go up over time, not down. Something about "increasing stockholder value".
Thanks everyone. That CRTC link helps explain the 30$ plan. Shame the prices keep going up, but the offers don't really seem to get better.

The years pass, phones are getting excessively more expensive, but we're still being nickle-and-dimed for minutes, sms/mms and a couple gigs of data. *shrug*.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just a note : Current $55 promo plan includes 4GB of data total (it's already including bonus data)

If you want BYOD plan, then there is a _50 promo plan which includes total of 4GB, 500 min.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks everyone. That CRTC link helps explain the 30$ plan. Shame the prices keep going up, but the offers don't really seem to get better.

The years pass, phones are getting excessively more expensive, but we're still being nickle-and-dimed for minutes, sms/mms and a couple gigs of data. *shrug*.

Most flagships are excessively expensive. Mid range phones are now just about as good in every perceptible way, even in the camera department. I'd be completely content with a Galaxy A70, which is currently 480 on tab with Koodo. There's also the option of Xiaomi, with their flagship phones coming in at 500-600CAD. There are plenty of excellent options for a fraction of 1500 retail. Doesnt' do much for the prices of plans, but at least the hardware is quite affordable for good enough, or excellent performance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To be fair they are not Nickle and dining for sms/mms and minutes. Those are basically given away with data being the main driver of plan costs compared to plans of yesteryear
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
To be fair they are not Nickle and dining for sms/mms and minutes. Those are basically given away with data being the main driver of plan costs compared to plans of yesteryear

I don't give any slack for that. Consumer priorities and desires changed with technology, and they shifted accordingly. I used to have truly unlimited data with Telus on the CDMA network.
Userlevel 4
The CRTC is a joke and their chairman is a TELUS lobbyist. Why would you sign up for $30 1 GB when you can get $15 4 GB tablet plan from Fido? (Koodo's marketing department asks "Why pay more?" but wants $20 for 4 GB.)