Koodo Community

Community

Why not double the data on the $75 plan?


You can't really double unlimited minutes..... and all the other plans are "doubled" until June 3.. I am sure that there are more than a few people who would go for a 6gb unlimited canada wide plan for $75. Might never see the $60 plans like we saw last fall, but at least it would be close (and at 67,50 for those with the 10% BYOD discount)

25 replies

Userlevel 6
I so agree with you Marcel! However, I noticed the lack of replies in this thread, which is usually a pretty good indication of how many f*c*s Koodo gives about this. Which is sad, actually. It will most likely get a "Not Planned" tag in a couple of minutes.
Maybe they are testing the waters with this plan, ever think of that Topper? Cut Koodo some slack, they've been pretty good with their plans thus far. Saying that they dont' give a "fck" is pretty disrespectful.
Userlevel 7
Koodo doesn't neccessarily comment on every idea so don't say its a "retty good indication of how many f*c*s Koodo gives about this.". What happened to you Topper to make you so anti-Koodo? The way I personally see it (even though 6Gb would be awesome), is that the amount of data they would be doubling is a lot (3GB) compared to the other plans which add no more than 1GB of data when doubled. Could be considered anti-competitive maybe, even? Remember these guys are regulated to some extent
Badge +4
Ahmad wrote:

Koodo doesn't neccessarily comment on every idea so don't say its a "retty good indication of how...

Regulated? By whom exactly? Take a look at how many times rate plans have changed over the past six months, a year or even two years, for that matter. As the fine print reads; rates are subject to change without notice.
Ahmad wrote:

Koodo doesn't neccessarily comment on every idea so don't say its a "retty good indication of how...

I wonder if maybe Telus has a final say in what rate plans are allowed.
Userlevel 6
Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else. They sit down every once in a while, like any other company, and think of ways to increase revenue to keep shareholders happy. What's the hot ticket right now? Data. So, let's NOT give people lots of what's valuable at this moment in time. Remember what happened to airtime minutes when people used less and less? Yup, we got unlimited buckets of them, because they weren't worth as much ($$$ speaking) as they once were. It's nothing about being anti-Koodo, cause I damn well know every carrier does the same. I came to Koodo in 2011 thinking it would be better (it was!) and that it would *stay* better (it hasn't!). We first lost per-second billing. Why? Because other carriers did away with it, of course! Koodo did NOT have to do away with it, but did anyway. What did the reps recommend to people complaining? "You should get a plan with enough minutes to cover your usage". Try explaining to someone how 100 minutes used to be enough, but now it's not, for the exact same calling usage. Then we lost the $15 plan. The lowest priced plan became the $20 one. But look on the website now. The cheapest one is $25! I know the $20 one is still available, but put yourself in the shoes of somebody shopping around and looking at Koodo's website. What does he/she see? $25 as the cheapest plan. He/she has no clue that a $20 plan still exists. And we all know it will disappear for good soon. Telus now charges for USA txting. We know what's happening next, no kidding there. Because that's how the industry moves forward, right? And I'm not even mentioning the SK/MB 5GB plans. Because MTS and SaskTel customers deserve good, competitive deals, right? The rest of the country? LOL, screw them, let's give them 2.5X less data for the same price. So? I'm unhappy, I know, and you obviously know. I'm a Koodo customer right now, so who am I to be unhappy with? Bell? Rogers? I'm no customer of theirs, and don't plan on becoming either's. I'm in no position to vent on a Rogers or Bell forum, so I don't. But I'm a Koodo customer, and what I've seen in those 2 years is plans becoming worse, a little bit at a time. You obviously don't have to agree with me, and I'm perfectly fine with that. If you're tired of my posts/whining, alright, I respect that, and will take my carcass out of here. But you still have to AT LEAST realize that things are changing in the mobile world, and sadly, it's NOT in the best interest of the end user.
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

In North America. Check over in Europe. They are in way better shape than we are.
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

Yes, I'm well aware of this. Most of the mobile world is in better shape than we are, which adds to the insult. And your point was? I'm not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me here.
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

I was more pointing out that your rant was more aimed towards Mobile service in North America is all. I do agree that the current state of Mobile service in NA is horrendous compared to others and it doesn't seem like anyone is willing to do anything because they bend to the all mighty $$$.
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

That was my point, too. I was venting on a Koodo forum because I'm a Koodo customer, and back when I joined, Koodo was a bit of a game changer, which I liked. I will never say Bell/Rogers are any better, because they are not. I stayed with Koodo hoping that they'd lead charge and make some sparks, and at times they did. But over the last few months they've been idle, following other discount carriers' moves at best (a recent example of this is giving 600MB of data on the $39 plan. Koodo merely followed suit, they could have done it first, but it took someone else to draw first blood). Even Bell and Telus have 3GB on their $60 plans now, while we're stuck at 2GB. I waited patiently for the last round of plans to end on May 13th, only to be informed that they had been extended until June 3rd!!! I wanted something new, innovative, but what we got instead was an extension of the same old. I don't dislike Koodo in particular, I happen to dislike the way the wireless business is run here AND the fact that Koodo's not helping it by merely following other players. Bring us something big Koodo, something that will make people move their services, something that comes with a bang! Adding 200 minutes to a plan and charging $5 more for it is NOT that. Anyway, rant over, I don't want/need to offend any more people.
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

Couldn't agree more with you Topper. And I just want to point out that the 60$ unlimited wide calling plus 3gb is only available for Quebec residents, which make me happy cause I can get a good plan, but is still unfair for everyone else not living in Quebec/SK/MB.
Userlevel 1
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

I like your post Topper, but it was little bit done with some emotions, yes companies are here to make profit but they should not do it on the back of their customers, the thing is that they always compete between themselves to do more for their customers, market demand and offer policy
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

@Mat: In your reply, you wrote: "they always compete between themselves". I'd like to point out that they don't. What they do is called collusion, and this happens when companies which are supposed to compete instead choose to artificially fix prices for similar services to ensure they stay high (the prices) with no risk of shopping around from potential customers. Wind/Mobi tried to shake things around, but with no cash flow and no coverage, the Big3 are laughing all the way to the bank with our money. @Everyone else: I'll always keep using the SK/MB example as the biggest slap across the face. Some people complained that the same happens with gas prices and that it varies depending on the region. While they're right with variations, I've never seen gas at $1/L in one place in Canada and $2.50/L in another (5GB vs 2GB is 2.5X the amount). That's where the comparison ends. I've been beating that dead horse for far too long now, and nothing will change. Now that Telus bought Mobi (still pending fed approval) while stating they'd walk away from the deal if they were not granted an exemption to use the spectrum as they please, we have an even clearer picture of where all this mess is heading. We won't get what we want because they don't have to, and that's all there is to it. The only thing one can do to truly bring the cost of wireless down in Canada is to cancel services altogether. And that's sad, really sad.
Userlevel 1
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

Thank you Topper in trying to explain your point of view on this, I just finished reading an interesting article on the same topic from "MobileSyrup" http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/03/07/canadas-cell-phone-market-is-dysfunctional-and-in-desperate-need-of-an-overhaul/ regarding cell phone market in Canada that is saying: "Canada’s cell phone market is dysfunctional and in desperate need of an overhaul.”
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

I had read this article when it came out, but it didn't hurt to read it again. It's quite interesting. However, what came out from all this is that carriers as a whole (believe it or not) truly believe Canadians are well served by their wireless industry and that everything's normal, basking in sunrays with blue skies and pink candy and everything. They are convinced they do an outstanding job and that under no circumstances they'd try to make a profit by gouging us. Yes, that's what they sincerely think. All hope was lost upon reading this months ago. I went from being someone willing to subscribe to a fairly priced plan that included enough data for entertainment uses in 2013 to someone who dropped everything to the lowest available for emergency uses only. Not because I can't afford a fairly priced plan, but because it angers me to no end to feel ripped off. A fairly priced plan is the SK/MB plan at $60 (unlimited voice+MMS, 5GB), but of course people from all over the rest of Canada are not worthy of such plans. Of course, the vast majority of people will disagree with me and be perfectly content with the plans they have (to each their own), but it's comforting to know that there are *at least* a handful of people that don't think I'm just crazy.
Userlevel 2
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

Amen TopperCNC! Couldn't have said it better myself!
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

@mattjs: I was only stating what is obvious, from my own observations and from reports that are available everywhere. But hey, thanks for keeping your eyes open :oP I'd also like to remind everyone that I'm not pointing fingers at employees and reps who are only doing what their bosses tell them. I have a boss myself and know that sometimes you have to do things that look counterproductive to you. They are the ones having the angry customers in their faces yelling at them, and it can't be fun. The ones that are the root cause of all this are the CEOs and decision-makers we never see, and it's them I'm pointing fingers at. Of course, I'm well aware my opinion means nothing to them and they may continue laughing all they want without interruption. However, something, someday, will happen in Canada and they'll end up in the same situation the CRIA and all other music lobbies are right now: a new business model that works better than theirs and that leaves them absolutely clueless about what to do next. I can't wait for that day.
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

@Topper it would be nice to see when they roll out a plan specifically for the lower population provinces that they offer it canada wide. Many a time I have thought about moving to SK or MB just to get one of these plans..... (well, ok, maybe not, but you get the idea)
Userlevel 6
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Guys, Koodo is a for-profit company like any other, don't kid yourselves believing anything else....

@Marcel: those plans were not made to please customers in the lower populated provinces. They were made to compete with SaskTel and MTS in a territory they had little presence in. What this tells us is that the Big3&kids is not interested in lowering the price of wireless across Canada. What they're interested in is to render both SaskTel and MTS irrelevant by taking their market share away until they die. Once this is done, they'll simply raise the prices to par with the rest of the country, wait 3 months, and then raise them some more (Canada-wide), since we Canadians like it and never complain. They won't be using any lube either. What this country needs is a whole, industry-wide shake-up. But we have the CRTC and the lobbyists protecting us from such a horrible thing, so we don't have to worry.
I am a dual citizen from the U.S. and I can tell you....Canada and Canadians DO get screwed when it comes to prices. I don't know if it is price fixing, like has been hinted at in previous posts, or what. All I know is you can get better rates and deals all over the States then anywhere here in Canada....even Koodo doesn't compare
Userlevel 6
Murray Buck wrote:

I am a dual citizen from the U.S. and I can tell you....Canada and Canadians DO get screwed when ...

It's the same sorcery as the pricing of big bucks items like cars. The dollar has been at parity (or almost) for some time now. None of this has resulted in lower prices for us here in Canada, which is a shame.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Murray Buck wrote:

I am a dual citizen from the U.S. and I can tell you....Canada and Canadians DO get screwed when ...

@Murray I have had to get a US phone a while back and I shopped at AT&T and Verizon and I believe that Koodo has much better plans than they do
Userlevel 5
Murray Buck wrote:

I am a dual citizen from the U.S. and I can tell you....Canada and Canadians DO get screwed when ...

Never really looked at US Plans... Can anyone inform me on how they are different to Koodo's?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Murray Buck wrote:

I am a dual citizen from the U.S. and I can tell you....Canada and Canadians DO get screwed when ...

$40 for 450 mins plus $20 for 300MB or $30 for 3GB. This was for AT&T when in NYC
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Murray Buck wrote:

I am a dual citizen from the U.S. and I can tell you....Canada and Canadians DO get screwed when ...

Looks like Verizon has 2GB for $60 (includes unlimited tax and text) Text is only to US numbers

Reply