Koodo Community
Solved

Why is it so difficult to change from prepaid to postpaid?

• 24 October 2020
  • 6 replies

So...here's my dilemma. I live in an area that has weak signal (no matter what provider I use). I recently switched from freedom to koodo. Now, when I was with freedom, I was able to use wifi calling too help with my signal problem. As I have just purchased the new poco x3, I have ZERO interest in switching to a new phone...but....if I want to use wifi calling with koodo, I have to switch from prepaid to postpaid. Saying that, it seems that I have to upgrade my phone in order to do that. The instructions are about as clear as mud for doing it online so I may be missing something. Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me? Or do I have to switch providers again? 

icon

Best answer by Allan M 24 October 2020, 05:53

There's a whole help article on how to switch from prepaid to postpaid😊

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/moving-prepaid-postpaid-monthly-service

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If your phone has wifi calling capabilities it should be able to do wifi calling.  In the past Koodo only restricted it to Koodo devices, but they stopped doing this.

However, their wifi calling setup is not always the smoothest.  Sometimes I see issues on the community.  That being said, the sample size is very small and even smaller with non-koodo phones

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thank you for this; however, as I stated in my initial question, when I follow those instructions, and I get to a point where I have to get a new phone on a tab. At this point. I think that I'm just going to go to another provider. In my opinion, wifi calling should be enabled in problem areas no matter what the plan is. We all pay for a service and it should be usable right? 

As well, here's a screen shot of my settings. They are enabled; however, the sim card diagnostic screen shows that volte and wifi calling are not provisioned. 

Badge +4

Are you selecting the option, I’m new to Koodo?

An excerpt from the link, Moving from Prepaid to Postpaid. “Just so you know, even if you already have a Prepaid Koodo account, you’ll still need to select “I’m new to Koodo: Let’s get started,” so we can set you up for monthly billing”.

I just did a mock SIM card and monthly rate plan purchase. After adding the SIM card to the cart and selecting New to Koodo/Get Started, I added the $45 plan to the cart as an example. 

Near the bottom of the rate plan page, Koodo asks if you want a phone. I just bypassed that and added the rate plan to the cart. Choose ‘Skip add-ons’ if you don’t need any add-ons. Authorize your number. Then click on Checkout.

The only area I did not complete was the ‘Completing your order’ section (this appears after Checkout). This is where you provide your billing and shipping information, (for shipping the SIM card). A credit check is performed. Payment is submitted and that’s pretty much it. Keep us posted.

I do believe I did the first couple of times I tried it; however, I've been working a lot of nights and double shifts over the last couple of weeks and may have given up on that option to quickly out of frustration.

I'll give it another try! Thank you very much for your response, I very much appreciate it!