Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why does a 5Gig data plan cost $55 in Manitoba, but $94 in Ontario?


Title says it all. Ok, because I need to add more info, why does it cost so much for a phone plan for residents of Ontario compared to plans in Manitoba and Saskatchewan? Why do the flat provinces get the better rates?

26 replies

Userlevel 7
The only answer we get is "just because". Apparently MTS and Sasktel have better rates there. I think it's a huge discrepancy and it shows how marked up the plans are but there's nothing we can do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

The only answer we get is "just because". Apparently MTS and Sasktel have better rates there. I t...

Hey Jonathan just thought of something, since the CRTC has made it so all carriers in Canada have to allow no charge roaming on each others networks now isn't this a null and void excuse from them now? I must be missing something aren't I?
Jonathan I wrote:

The only answer we get is "just because". Apparently MTS and Sasktel have better rates there. I t...

Paul, do you have a link to that? And does it apply to data as well as to phone service?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Jonathan I wrote:

The only answer we get is "just because". Apparently MTS and Sasktel have better rates there. I t...

That's not what the CRTC did. They required that the carriers sell roaming minutes to other carriers at the same price as they charge their own customers (likely pay per use rates). From the Globe and Mail: "The federal government set temporary rates in this year’s budget implementation act, capping wholesale costs at no more than what carriers charge their retail customers."
Userlevel 6
Jonathan I wrote:

The only answer we get is "just because". Apparently MTS and Sasktel have better rates there. I t...

Yeap....you are right, it's not a "free for all" as Paul D suggested it.
Userlevel 4
Because Manitoba and Saskatchewan have provincial carriers (MTS AND SASKTEL) that the big 3 company's and their flanker brands have to compete with, so more competition mean lower prices. The same situation exists in Quebec with Videotron and in Thunder Bay with TBTel.
Userlevel 6
Justin wrote:

Because Manitoba and Saskatchewan have provincial carriers (MTS AND SASKTEL) that the big 3 compa...

Except that, if you look around Videotron's website, you'll see they're just as greedy as the Big3..... 😞
Userlevel 6
We could all move to the Prairies too. 🙂 ....on second thought.....no thanks...don't need -40 in the winter and +40 in the summer. 🙂
I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more about how Koodo (or anyone else) thinks it's ok to treat non SK and non MB residents as second class customers. I mean come on, you can have me as a customer at $55, or not at all. Which is the better choice? And even the overages are higher in the other provinces. $10/GB in MB, $5/250MB (or double the rates in MB) for the rest of the province.
Userlevel 6
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

The "not at all"!is not really an option unless you give up having a cellphone altogether. And Canadians tend not to vote with their wallets on many things. Same thing happened when people were upset that gas prices were going up before the weekends and folks believed that it was some kind of scam by the oil companies. Lots of "threat" from the public that we should stop buying gas to punish them. Of course no one actually did.
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

For Koodo, it is an option of "not at all". I'll just take my business elsewhere. The problem is the lack of REAL competition in this country. Basically three providers, none of which every really compete with each other.
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

Maybe I'll just stick with Wind, at least they offer decent phone packages at decent prices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

The number of Canadian Tire dollars you get with your purchase differs across the country. It allows them to have one price, but adjust for differing operating costs in different markets. Many other companies have differential pricing in different markets. It is more noticeable in this case due to the ease of checking, and the price sensitivity of the product. In Alberta it would cost me $88 to fill my vehicle, $96 in Saskatchewan, and $97 in Manitoba. I'd love Alberta gas prices in my town, or better yet US gas prices, but different markets beget different prices.
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

Are you trying to tell me it costs less to operate in MB and SK than in Ontario? I call bollocks on that one. Only because there are two viable, local, competitors are the prices lower in SK and MB. Same goes for all the cell providers/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

You can call it all you like, but in the end, the carrier always have the last word. And that my friend is the simple, harsh truth.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

I disagree. The customer has the last word, through choice of plan. I voted with my wallet.
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

Ivan, who is your provider?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

Public Mobile. Still a part of the Telus family. But you don't necessarily have to switch providers to vote with your wallet. You just have to settle for a cheaper plan and use your phone less.
Userlevel 6
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

I'm with Ivan. Wallet speaks first. And I have a cellphone because I like it, not because I "need" it. I have a price threshold set in my mind. On one side is "good value", on the other is "lol, screw that". That threshold line ain't movin'. Once they cross over to the lol zone, phone's gone, simple as that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Paul wrote:

I knew there were SaskTel and MB Tel competing in those two provinces. My question was more abou...

SaskTel and MTS have a large percentage of the customers in their region. Hence competition and Robelus having to have real competitive prices. In the other areas where Robelus has the large percentage of the customers in their region, it is the other competitors like Wind who need to create competitive prices. However since Wind is not the same quality, Robelus ignores Wind as a Competive threat and leaves their prices high
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
All the YADA-YADA-YADA goes into the blender and comes out as C-O-M-P-E-T-I-T-I-O-N. Utilities will charge as much as they can, barring market forces and govt constraints. Cost has nothing to do with it. Make the rules. Customers can take it or leave it. Thanks to PKP and Videotron in QC. For once, we not being hosed for more than anyone else.
Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

All the YADA-YADA-YADA goes into the blender and comes out as C-O-M-P-E-T-I-T-I-O-N. Utilities wi...

I'd normally agree. However, in Videotron's case, their pricing says otherwise 😕 Not THAT much better than the Big3 (except, maybe, for their roaming options which are better (while still a far cry compared to using a local US sim).
Userlevel 3
Might have to look at getting a po box there. ..
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
JohnC wrote:

Might have to look at getting a po box there. ..

Customer addresses cannot be a PO Box.
Userlevel 1
Totally agree. Living in Ontario we get screwed! I still say if a cell company (and don't give me the old line different Areas have different costs etc. As we are not talking about milk. Or groceries. Etc. Things that it cost to transport to us) operates on Canadian land then they should be forced to offer all Canadians the same deal. So end result if you live in Ontario. Basically people like me / us may as well just bend over and take it is more less what I say is happening to us.

Reply