Koodo Community
Question

Why can I not keep my plan when upgrading to a new phone?

• 16 October 2020
  • 13 replies

I am wanting to order the new Samsung s20 Fe to upgrade from my current phone. When going through the self serve on the browser, I add the phone to my cart and it then instructs me to select a plan, when I select the "keep current plan" it redirects me back to my cart without proceeding to the checkout and it stills shows the same option at the bottom to choose a new plan. My current plan is $48 which exceeds the $45 minimum for a mid tab in order to keep the plan. Is this a glitch or a clever way to try and cheat me out of my excellent plan? 

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is your plan as BYID/No Tab plan? If so, you need to switch your plan to one of In market Tab plan even tho your plan is over required minimum price.

Also is your plan MT/SK/ QC plan? Is your area code matches your regional plan?

Hello Mayumi, 

No, it is not a NO tab plan I just finished up two years with my current device/plan. My plan is a MT/SK plan and my current area is NS, is this an issue? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello Mayumi, 

No, it is not a NO tab plan I just finished up two years with my current device/plan. My plan is a MT/SK plan and my current area is NS, is this an issue? 

If you are using MT/SK area code number, then it shouldn't be problem. But, if your number is NS number, then the system might not accept it...

Hello,

I am in the exact same scenario as mentioned by the original poster. My plan is QC, just paid off my Pixel 3a, love my $49/8GB plan and want to keep it, but can’t upgrade my phone to a newer one without being forced to change plans. 

Is there any work around here?

I’m willing to change phone numbers to keep my existing QC plan and get an upgraded phone. 

A step by step process would be helpful and appreciated!!

Cheers,

GM

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

See this link regarding the requirements for a plan change for various phone upgrade scenarios

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Keeping-or-changing-your-plan-when-you-upgrade-your-phone

Does your $49/month include any add-ons?

According to this table (as your plan is >$49/month, assuming no add-ons included) , you may be able to keep your plan if you select a Tab Mid/Plus for the upgrade. If you would like to ask for  other consideration, you can set up a callback using Koodo Assistant or you can send a private message from your social media account (Facebook/Twitter). Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hello,

I am in the exact same scenario as mentioned by the original poster. My plan is QC, just paid off my Pixel 3a, love my $49/8GB plan and want to keep it, but can’t upgrade my phone to a newer one without being forced to change plans. 

Is there any work around here?

I’m willing to change phone numbers to keep my existing QC plan and get an upgraded phone. 

A step by step process would be helpful and appreciated!!

Cheers,

GM

Are you QC resident? Is your phone area code with QC number?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

(as your plan is >$49/month, assuming no add-ons included) , you may be able to keep your plan if

It’s depends. If s/he has eligible plan, then yes.  But s/he mentioned that s/he is willing to change his number.  It means he might no be QC resident, yet got this regional plan.  Then they are not able to upgrade phone on Tab.

I have exact problem with tab issue. Current on $40/8G plan (switch from public mobile back then) will not let me get any tab on Koodo. Can't even get tab basic, which requires $35 minimum monthly bill. Koodo mess up big time. They want you to switch to their new plan, which is garbage. If your tab is clear, mind as well switch to different phone company. Koodo don't care about their old customers. 👎

Currently  freedom mobile has $35/11G plan for anyone from Koodo switch to freedom. Then you can get new phone and without this garbage (no tab) allow on Koodo crap.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Currently  freedom mobile has $35/11G plan for anyone from Koodo switch to freedom. Then you can get new phone and without this garbage (no tab) allow on Koodo crap.. 

Is there something we can help you with here? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You’ll get a better price but a crap coverage with Freedom.

I have exact problem with tab issue. Current on $40/8G plan (switch from public mobile back then) will not let me get any tab on Koodo. Can't even get tab basic, which requires $35 minimum monthly bill. Koodo mess up big time. They want you to switch to their new plan, which is garbage. If your tab is clear, mind as well switch to different phone company. Koodo don't care about their old customers. 👎

I believe this was made clear that this plan wouldn’t be eligible for tab when you signed up. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you we’re switched over from PM with BYOD plan, then you were required to switch your plan to in market Tab plan when you want to use Tab..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Then your choice is clear. You don’t have to deal with Koodo crap