Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Why are Koodo plans so poor compared to some of the competition?

For $40 per month at Wind mobile, you can get unlimited canada wide talking, unlimited global texting, unlimited canada&US picture and video messaging, voicemail, and unlimited data..... why is this kind of thing not available at all with Koodo?? even the most expensive tab small/medium plan only includes 1GB of data. theyre even running a promo right now for unlimited everything including canada and the US for $39/month. Why so stingy koodo?

14 replies

Userlevel 5
It's simple. Wind is not competition. Wind only covers a handful of cities, and you pay roaming inside of Canada if you leave them. I've heard complaints about their coverage inside buildings, as well as their data speeds in comparison as well. Koodo covers most of Canada's population, with a faster more reliable network. Until Wind grows they may be an alternative, but they are not a competition for Koodo whatsoever.
Userlevel 7
I'm not trying to defend koodo but none of the Big 3 have plans like wind. Wind's plans are amazing however it's only if you are in their limited coverage area.(and if you are, that's awesome!). At this point I don't think wind is really competition for koodo,fido,virgin or any of the Big 3. If you like wind's plans by all means go for them.
Userlevel 5
Daniel Kim wrote:

I'm not trying to defend koodo but none of the Big 3 have plans like wind. Wind's plans are amazi...

Beat by seconds!
Userlevel 2
Jorden wrote:

It's simple. Wind is not competition. Wind only covers a handful of cities, and you pay roa...

I was talking to one girl her phone hasn't worked for over a week at that point. She found out some time later that her towers in her area were down she didn't get reimbursed or anything with wind cause that's what you pay for. Data speed is also considerably slower.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

I'm not trying to defend koodo but none of the Big 3 have plans like wind. Wind's plans are amazi...

We'll call it a draw 😉
Userlevel 6
Daniel Kim wrote:

Daniel likes a fair competition :oP
Userlevel 6
@Melanie At a couple years back there were 3 new cellphone companies who offered their services to Canadians. They had no network just yet, only a few places for people to buy their phones from etc. The only way they could attract new customers by lowering their prices because their services were quite shoddy. After years investing in trying to make things better, 2 of these guys (Mobilicity, Public Mobile) went bankrupt and/or sold themselves. Wind is the last one standing but in a very dire position financially. Their services is still inferior but to survive they need to drop their prices to get people using their phones. You can certainly go and try them and make up your on mind whether the money you save is worth frustration of a not great service.
Userlevel 3
When I was with Wind I found it kept dropping my connection approximately every 20 minutes. Sometimes my phone didn't ring even in Wind coverage. I thought the data was okay but I didn't often go over 2Gb. I pretty much had everything you described for $35 a month plus U.S. long distance but an outstanding deal on a phone that doesn't work isn't really good value. Switched to Koodo mostly for the coverage and the reliable signal.
I see what youre saying about the signal and reiability... that and being broke (right now im only at $25 per month) are why i havent switched. but where i live does offer wind and i thought wind was everywhere by now which was why i was wondering why koodo wasnt trying to keep up with them. im hoping maybe down teh road if wind does become more of a competition that koodo will offer plans that make more sense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mel wrote:

I see what youre saying about the signal and reiability... that and being broke (right now im onl...

I think everybody except the shareholders will agree with you there, Melanie 🙂
Userlevel 3
Mel wrote:

I see what youre saying about the signal and reiability... that and being broke (right now im onl...

And it has been noted on this forum that Koodo's post-paid plans are not as good as they used to be. I wonder if that is a reaction to not seeing Wind as a threat, but that is just me speculating.
Userlevel 6
Well, most of the price increases we have seen over the last 2-3 years have been because of 2 things: 1) Because they can (CEOs fortunes must come from somewhere) 2) Those spectrum auctions need to be paid now, eh? The only way I see to be able to save some money nowadays is going prepaid. The phone you'll want to use is a personal choice, so the expense can be as small or as large as you want it to be, but plan-wise, prepaid is the current flasgship money-saver.
I remember being on prepaid though, and it was a real pain. making sure you have minutes/money to use to text... having to go to the store to get the minutes... it was all a huge pain. i havent had prepaid in about 8 years now so maybe it has changed, but it was a real pain which was why i switched to a "big girl plan" with no cutoff point if you use up all your minutes, only extra charges. lol.
Userlevel 6
Mel wrote:

I remember being on prepaid though, and it was a real pain. making sure you have minutes/money to...

Things have changed quite bit....:-) You wouldn't have to go to a store to top up your prepaid anymore. You can do it online or over their automated phone systems.