Koodo Community
Question

why am i charged for roaming even with Data Roaming turned off?

• 20 November 2021
  • 9 replies

I enabled Easy Roam before going to costa rica, and always had wifi signal. But I was charged for multiple days of Roaming even though the data roaming was turned off on my phone. I caught it after 5 days and turned on Airplane mode. 
I did get an initial email saying someone on my line was roaming, but didn’t receive any notice saying I was still roaming. 

Am I missing something about how roaming works? In one area I read that incoming and outgoing test messages are included, then elsewhere I read that outgoing messages will initiate roaming. 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Only incoming messages are okay. Outgoing will trigger the easy roam charge.

Thanks. That is what I’m assuming. But it doesn’t seem clearly stated. I see conflicting descriptions on this site, hence my confusion. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Thanks. That is what I’m assuming. But it doesn’t seem clearly stated. I see conflicting descriptions on this site, hence my confusion. 

Would you be able to take some screenshots and/or post some links? I can flag it to a rep to have it updated if it's not clear or wrong.

Sure. These are the statements in the Easy Roam description that I find very misleading. 

I’m not sure what is meant by “premium and subscription messages”

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I enabled Easy Roam before going to costa rica, and always had wifi signal. But I was charged for multiple days of Roaming even though the data roaming was turned off on my phone. I caught it after 5 days and turned on Airplane mode. 
I did get an initial email saying someone on my line was roaming, but didn’t receive any notice saying I was still roaming. 

Am I missing something about how roaming works? In one area I read that incoming and outgoing test messages are included, then elsewhere I read that outgoing messages will initiate roaming. 

Wait, so you kept the airplane mode turned off until 5 days after you arrived in Costa Rica? It is best advised to keep your phone on airplane mode at all times to avoid any unwanted roaming charges. For a foolproof solution, you can remove the SIM card from your phone and insert it upon your return to Canada. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There are subscription texts that people can subscribe to for a regular fee. Things like daily horoscope or jokes of the day or adult content. 

Premium texts work the same way as 1-900 numbers in the 1990s used primarily for pay per use adult content or psychics. 

So after reviewing the screenshots I can see a possible confusion.

So if you have Easy Roam enabled using wifi and receiving incoming texts will not trigger easy roam or result in any pay per use roaming chargers. 

When easy roam is triggered, outgoing texts to anywhere in the world is included ([his can also Tigger easy roam). 

If you receive premium or subscription texts each message will be charged the pay per use roaming rate regardless of easy roam being triggered or not

Wait, so you kept the airplane mode turned off until 5 days after you arrived in Costa Rica? It is best advised to keep your phone on airplane mode at all times to avoid any unwanted roaming charges. For a foolproof solution, you can remove the SIM card from your phone and insert it upon your return to Canada. 

No, the opposite. I had cell data on for the 1st 5 days but with data roaming off. Once I realized I was getting charged for roaming I set it to Airplane mode. Too little too late. 

There are subscription texts that people can subscribe to for a regular fee. Things like daily horoscope or jokes of the day or adult content. 

Premium texts work the same way as 1-900 numbers in the 1990s used primarily for pay per use adult content or psychics. 

So after reviewing the screenshots I can see a possible confusion.

So if you have Easy Roam enabled using wifi and receiving incoming texts will not trigger easy roam or result in any pay per use roaming chargers. 

When easy roam is triggered, outgoing texts to anywhere in the world is included ([his can also Tigger easy roam). 

If you receive premium or subscription texts each message will be charged the pay per use roaming rate regardless of easy roam being triggered or not

Thanks for the explanation. I don’t have either premium or subscription texts. I understand better now, but still think for the layman the terms are confusing