Koodo Community

Community

Solved

When does the new plan start when changed from another plan?

I am currently on unlimited text, unlimited minutes and 3GB data plan. I want to downgrade to another plan My question is when will be the new plan effective? Immediately or the start of next billing month?

8 replies

Userlevel 6
That depends on how you change it. If the change is done via Self-Serve it's basically immediate, maybe a minute or twelve. If you call customer service you can have an immediate change too but you can have it change at 12:00AM of the first day of your next billing cycle or even select a specific date (the change will still happen at 12:00AM of said date). However, there's a $10 fee for changes made with customer service.
Curtules wrote:

That depends on how you change it. If the change is done via Self-Serve it's basically immediate,...

Thanks a lot!
Userlevel 6
Curtules wrote:

That depends on how you change it. If the change is done via Self-Serve it's basically immediate,...

It can take up to 15minutes so it's best to wait at least 15minutes just in case.
Userlevel 2
Curtules wrote:

+1 Curtules answer. Be careful about switching immediately because your usage will be pro-rated. Since you have unlimited minutes & text, it is not too much of a concern for calls and SMS. However, since you have 3GB of data, if you exceeded your pro-rated data usage, you will be charged an overage fee. With a 3GB plan, you have approximately 100MB of pro-rated data use per day. So depending on where you are in your billing cycle, you may wish to wait until the end of the billing cycle to change plan.
Userlevel 6
Curtules wrote:

Actually, for whatever reason, data doesn't get prorated. But with the new plan the minutes will get prorated on the other end, if you don't take a non unlimited minutes plan.
Curtules wrote:

Thanks for the caution and because of this confusion I posted this question. Definitely I should do that at the end of current billing cycle.
Userlevel 2
Curtules wrote:

Actually, data does get prorated. I have seen enough bills to see the proration take affect.
Userlevel 7
Curtules wrote:

No, data is not prorated. I don't know how long ago you last dealt with a situation that involved a problem with prorated data, but it certainly isn't now. I've changed my plan enough times to know its not. Otherwise, I would have seen a lot of bill shocks, which I have never.