Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Using Cell Phone When in United Kingdom

I have asked this question to email support and to phone support but keep getting different answer. I would like to use my phone while in the UK for a few days for work, only for a few calls so unlocking the phone and getting a UK sim card does not seem practical to me. I know that I am suppose to go in and add International Voice Roaming but I do not have this option. Email support told me it is because I am on the $200 spending limit which makes no sense, phone support told me that doesnt matter but he could not add this either, but it "should" work without it. Please help I would like to know for sure before I leave!

9 replies

Userlevel 6
I think $200 spending limit program they put you on may actually have something to do with it. They are trying to protect you and themselves from getting into a situation where a surprisingly large bill (because of roaming) goes unpaid by customers. I guess you have to see it from their side a bit. Genteelly speaking the $200 limit assigned to people who have not built a "credit history" yet or those who do have credit history but it's not the greatest. It would makes sense to reason that if they allowed people to roam who are on this program they could go past the limit quickly as I don't believe koodo had real time tracking I your usage when you are overseas. So, say your data is on and you have apps running in the background, plus all your friends continue to text you. You could have a $500 bill even with the limit as koodo wouldn't get the info from the UK phone companies in time to pull the trigger and stop at $200. That's my guess. So, unlocking may still make sense, if not you will still be able to use your phone in any wi-fi area. You can even download apps while you are still home that could be use to make calls etc. and in wi-fi all of that is free.
Yes that all makes sense to me, except for the fact that they have a $100 cap on roaming data, so there is no way I could go over anyway. They said that alot of people were getting into that situation with a high bill from roaming charges adding up, so they have now put a cap of $100 so that cannot happen. And yes I am going to look into getting an app, I already have one for text its just they already have my mobile number so would make life easier if I could have used it.
Userlevel 6
Melissa Whittaker wrote:

Yes that all makes sense to me, except for the fact that they have a $100 cap on roaming data, so...

The $100 cap is not a "hard cap". I got it a few weeks back when I was overseas, but all it does is that it's lets you know that you have reached a hundred dollars roaming usage and pls press 'yes' if you want to continue. So, thechnically you could go over run up a bill pass the $200 limit and bails. I have a hunch that's what they are worried about. By no means do i suggest that you'sd'd be one but they must have crucnched their figures .
Thanks good to know and yes I agree even though I am not sure that this is why I cannot add the add-on for roaming, the agent I spoke to told me there was no reason I cannot add it so I am left guessing which of 3 answers I received from them are correct. The first email the agent suggested I over pay my bill by $100 just to be safe.
Userlevel 6
Melissa Whittaker wrote:

Thanks good to know and yes I agree even though I am not sure that this is why I cannot add the a...

You can't overpay your account. I tried in the past and max it let me is 20% more than what I owed. Stupid if you ask me, but that's how it works. Oh....and if the agent actually said that in the email, I hope koodo is reading this and provides the help that agent needs to know their sheit. :-)))) I'd love to be proven wrong on this. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The Roaming add ons are not available to those in the spending limit program https://c.getsatisfaction.com/koodo/topics/faq_change_traveling_spending_limit_program
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unlocking and getting a local SIM doesn't sound practical? I'm not sure I follow. Unlocking costs at most $35 (and increases the resale value of your phone. Lebara UK sold me 1 GB of data (SIM included) for 5 GBP. I used the Fongo app for calling Canada for free (2 minutes = 1 MB). And I got the SIM at Heathrow.
Userlevel 3
Hey Melissa, Chris, Dennis and Ivan are all right. Just to clarify, when you're on the SLP you cannot add the international roaming features unfortunately. However, you can opt for unlocking your phone: koo.do/1fCRjp3. ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Khaleila wrote:

Hey Melissa, Chris, Dennis and Ivan are all right. Just to clarify, when you're on the SLP yo...

Thanks Khaleila, you're all right too 😉