Koodo Community

Community

use wi-fi instead of mobile network when talking and texting

if it would be possible, it would be great for you guys to try something new, and use wi-fi when available for talking and texting, this will increase the quality and speed of your texts and calls.

2 replies

this is a big load on the servers, and will require extensive new hardware. My old blackberry 8520 had it , can't remember for the life of me what the service was called as it was a while ago, but when rogers started charging extra for it, I dumped it. Now, I use Zoiper for Android and a voip.ms account. As soon as I get to a wifi zone (usually home or work) I forward my koodo# to my voip.ms #, and use the wifi to make and receive VOIP calls. Texting still handled through Koodo.
Badge +4
Marcel in O-Town wrote:

this is a big load on the servers, and will require extensive new hardware. My old blackberry 85...

I believe you're referring to UMA/Wi-Fi calling which is a derivative of the General Access Network or GAN. The infrastructure for UMA/Wi-Fi calling is already present with Telus, so it really wouldn't be that big of a leap for Koodo to implement the service. The problem is that few handsets are equipped with dual-mode GSM/UMA capability, with the exception of select Blackberry, Android and earlier Windows Mobile devices.