Koodo Community

Community

USA Roaming add-ons

I currently use Roam mobility for US roaming. Even Wind has a $15 unlimited monthly add-on for US roaming. Koodo has been the best provider I have ever used...I am hoping that Koodo can possibly have a 30 day unlimited add-on for $15 a month too! Any additional US add-ons coming? Would much rather have my own phone number while in the US. c'mon Koodo!!

22 replies

Userlevel 3
Unfortinately roaming rates/packages haven't changed in the last while. I guess the demand for customers requesting roaming add ons doesn't have a high enough demand for Koodo to take action. If you don't agree with the roaming rates your best bet is to unlock your phone and activate with a local provider while you're in the US travelling.
Userlevel 5
I really wish something would come out of the focus group they did a while ago on here. There is room for improvement for sure.
Userlevel 6
Has anyone tried the wind roaming plan? If it's anything like their canadian coverage it may not be of any use, no matter how cheap. “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten” – Benjamin Franklin
Userlevel 7
Chris Petersens wrote:

Has anyone tried the wind roaming plan? If it's anything like their canadian coverage it may not ...

It's nothing like canadian coverage, it's absolutely amazing. T-Mobile is a regular national carrier amoung the US' Big 4. Koodo has no reason not to match this or even make better rates instead of gouging customers out of money. WINDs release of the $15 roaming package proved that carriers are money hungry and that roaming costs them little to nothing. If anyone honestly believes that Koodo, or any other carrier pays "more" to allow their customers to roam than what WIND does to T-Mobile, you've got another thing coming. Koodo, show us the competition. Be a leader again instead of a follower. Actually, you'd be following this time...again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

Has anyone tried the wind roaming plan? If it's anything like their canadian coverage it may not ...

Ahmad, unless you have actual documentation that shows what other carriers are being charged for roaming, the only thing it "proves" is that roaming costs Wind almost nothing.
Userlevel 7
Chris Petersens wrote:

Spoken like a true employee. If a REGIONAL carrier can provided roaming for that much, on a US network equivalent to what the Big 3 use, to me it proves that the Big 3 and its subsidiaries are gouging it's customers. That's common sense. Unless you can show me documentation showing otherwise, there is no conversation to be had about this
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

Ah, anecdotal evidence based on personal beliefs. You realize, of course that this is the same reasoning the US government used for the invasion of Iraq. Not a scrap of hard evidence, but because you feel it's obvious that's all that's required.
Userlevel 1
Chris Petersens wrote:

I'll take the anecdotal evidence over anything the Canadian carriers tell us. Wind's $15/ month deal is incredible, and there's tons of space between that offer and what everybody else is offering. Even Roam Mobility has some outstanding rates for what you get, and they aren't even a national or regional carrier.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

Roam Mobility is a US carrier, offering US service for US prices. Koodo's plans offer cheaper rates for usage in Canada than AT&T's roaming rates as well. As for the rest of the argument, you're confusing proof with conjecture. The only data point you have is the fact that Wind charges less for roaming than anyone else.
Userlevel 7
Chris Petersens wrote:

And actually you need a minimum 29$ plan to qualify to add the 15$ add on. So it's going to run you 44$ minimum to use them just to roam
Userlevel 1
Chris Petersens wrote:

Oligopoly market and common sense. This isn't a court of law. I believe roaming rates are at an incredible markup. That's my opinion founded on having a brain in my head and using it. Everybody is entitled to their viewpoint, but I don't get why people here get so defensive about an obvious shortcoming of Canadian carriers. I thought Roam was based out of Vancouver.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

Probably the same reason people get defensive when it's pointed out that opinion and conjecture is not the same as PROOF.
Userlevel 1
Chris Petersens wrote:

I've already said in my last post that it's my opinion, I was pretty clear about that. I'm not going to do a forensic analysis of their business operations, and nor is anybody else here I would imagine. I think it's a well reasoned opinion, a logical opinion and much more reasoned and logical than any opinion suggesting that oligopolies are charging anywhere close to costs, because that's not how oligopolies work. Charging large premiums is built into the system, that's why they make tons of money. Pretty standard stuff, you charge what you can get away with, and in an oligopoly, you can get away with plenty. Charging anywhere near costs, when you don't have to, would not be maximizing their shareholders wealth, which is what they are supposed to do. That's how they run all of their businesses, charging as hefty a markup as possible. This isn't news, or at least, it shouldn't be. If it is, it's only news to you. That combined with just how much distance lies between what Wind is doing and what the oligopoly carriers do leads me to believe there is much room to move prices down before they come anywhere close to cost. Is any of that proof? No. I suggested that it was common sense, and I still think it is. If you go home to your wife and spot another guy sneaking out your bedroom window half-naked, does that constitute as proof that she's being unfaithful? No, there could technically be some other explanation as to what you are seeing, but I think at some point, common sense kicks in. No need to start a war about all this and going all caps lock on people.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

Not being defensive, yet getting all huffy and insulting when someone doesn't take your opinion as gospel. Sure. You didn't find someone climbing out the window. What you found was a newspaper article saying someone was seen climbing out a window in the next town over. The only thing there is proof of is the fact that Wind charges less for roaming. If that means a lot to you, use Wind's service when you go to the US.
I think Wind teamed up with T-Mobile...so it would be the same coverage as Roam mobility. Data is hit and miss as your driving down I75, but fine in bigger cities. The text and talk if fine everywhere though which is more or less what you want I would think (for me anyways). Like I said, I use roam mobility, but certainly would be more convenient to keep your same number to travel thru the states than to switch out sim cards. @Rocky There is no demand for US add-ons I would assume is because everyone just switches to US provider or RM because it is cheaper. If the US option was offered by Koodo, I bet demand would go way up.
Userlevel 7
Wind works just fine so far in the USA. It works just as good if not better than when I used just T-Mobile on their 3$ or 2$ a day plan. I've also been able to Manually select AT&T while I was in Cardinal Ontario with no problem . This is my first week in the states with it and so far I like it. No longer do I have to pay the exchange on my Canadian dollars to pay for Tmobile airtime. I no longer have to use voip services like Google voice to call home so my calls are much clearer now. However when I get back to Canada, Wind is basically useless unless I'm overnighting in Windsor / London / Toronto / Kingston where at least I can tether and not use my Koodo Data. However that's not something that happens often enough to be worthwhile. If Koodo provided a similar add on for 45$ (the minimal 30$ plan you can get with wind plus the add on) I'd drop wind in a second but for the last two days I'd say I'm happy with the arrangement.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Wind works just fine so far in the USA. It works just as good if not better than when I used just...

It's technically T-Mobile in the US and has nothing to do with WIND's network
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

Wind works just fine so far in the USA. It works just as good if not better than when I used just...

When I said the voice quality was better it's because I no longer have to use VOIP services like Google voice to call Canada not because I'm now on Wind. It's actually a mix of whatever is available. So far I'm also seeing UScellular. At the Moment I'm on AT&T. I'm not sure what or where you read that it's technically T-Mobile. I did a bit of research before grabbing a sim and none of the documentation pointed to any particular network. About my experience with T-Mobile: As someone who travels and has used T-Mobile. T-Mobile coverage is lacking west of the Mississippi. If people research coverage before they travel they're OK. Expect that you'll have either Edge or even GSM speeds when you're outside of major cities. Sometimes you'll even find pockets of no service so it's great that Winds agreements allow it to switch to other carriers. Where T-Mobile would just leave your device searching for a network in this scenario. With Wind I'm getting the maximum speed that whatever particular network allows. AT&T seems to be 3G maximum while Tmobile is giving 4G (sans lte) where available. T-Mobile does have the best rates and simple TOS and that makes them attractive. But for the reasons I set out above (in my initial comment), Wind is a better deal. Wind in Canada: In Canada Wind has coverage zones in some areas which provides adequate services until you travel outside of their ridiculously small zones. Then it's Wind AWAY ($$) which I have no intention of using. Oh and forget about LTE. It's not even an option for Wind SIM Users in Canada or while Roaming
Am I the only one that finds the new Koodo USA roaming plans to not be very competitive or economical? Right now I'm considering unlocking and going with Roam Mobility for an upcoming trip and see how that goes. I like my Koodo plan in Canada, but the whole thing makes me want to consider other carriers.
Userlevel 6
Ed Prior wrote:

Am I the only one that finds the new Koodo USA roaming plans to not be very competitive or econom...

It depends. Everything is relative. Koodo's is actually quite competitive when it comes to 'real' phone companies in Canada. And you don't have to have another number when you travel to give out to your friends and family. We are going California for a 12 day trip in August. All we need is talk and text as we get data through tons of wi-fi places. 12 days (actually it's 30 days) with Koodo for unlimited talk and text in the US is $45. With Roam Mobility is roughly $36. For us it's simply not worth the hassle of switching sims.
Userlevel 6
Ed Prior wrote:

Am I the only one that finds the new Koodo USA roaming plans to not be very competitive or econom...

Actually, I've had customers who plan on roaming most if not all months of the year. For customers like them I usually suggest unlocking, but a lot of them have been opting for the new add-ons instead.
Userlevel 5
HI JMK, have you checked out our new US Roaming add-ons? We hear from others like yourself that our rates can be better, so we've made changes to them. Have a look here: https://shop.koodomobile.com/plans/add-ons/index.html