Koodo Community

Upgrade my phone but keep current plan

• 26 February 2021
  • 10 replies

Hi all, 

I want to upgrade my current iPhone 8 to an iPhone 11. My current phone is fully paid off and I have the Canada-Wide 49$ plan. I want to keep this same plan when upgrading but I cant seem to find that option on the website. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks! 

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You should be able to keep your plan because your plan is more than required plan price.

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Keeping-or-changing-your-plan-when-you-upgrade-your-phone?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=Keep%20my%20plan%20to%20upgrade%20my%20phone

What error message you are getting?

Did you log into self serve and add a phone to cart?  Did it ask you pick a new plan? No option to "keep my plan"?

its making me choose one of the listed plans, can’t proceed with my current plan

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you didn’t see the option to keep the current plan when upgrading, your plan was likely “grandfathered” or it was an “out-of-province” plan. Koodo probably wanted you to change to another rateplan.

Anyway, you could contact Koodo directly and ask a rep and negotiate with them. From the screenshot, you cannot keep that current rateplan when upgrading.

OK thank you, ill give them a call. Do you know if ill be charged for the phone call? I know in some cases they apply a “service fee” to some phone inquires 

Userlevel 6
its making me choose one of the listed plans, can’t proceed with my current plan

Hi there! Your plan is no longer available, but we are confident that our in-market plans will provide you with a variety of choices allowing you to pick a plan that will best suit your needs. If you wish to chat about your options, send us a private message on Facebook or Twitter. Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there! Your plan is no longer available, but we are confident that our in-market plans will provide you with a variety of choices allowing you to pick a plan that will best suit your needs. If you wish to chat about your options, send us a private message on Facebook or Twitter. Thanks! 

OP has a grandfathered plan.  But, it's more than $45 /mo.

If OP's  plan was one of Tab plan, then she could keep her plan, correct?

It's because she has a " No Tab plan", she need to switch her plan to use Tab.

Userlevel 6

An expired plan cannot be kept even if it meets the price requirements. The website page also states “ Eligibilities may change.” https://koo.do/2P6NUFl . Even if OP got that plan among with a Tab, the plan can still expire, so the system will ask to get a new plan once OP decides to get a new TAB. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

An expired plan cannot be kept even if it meets the price requirements. The website page also states “ Eligibilities may change.” https://koo.do/2P6NUFl . Even if OP got that plan among with a Tab, the plan can still expire, so the system will ask to get a new plan once OP decides to get a new TAB. 

Are you sure about this? 

What is the point of the link then?

https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/Keeping-or-changing-your-plan-when-you-upgrade-your-phone?search_api_views_article_search_fulltext=Keep%20my%20plan%20to%20upgrade%20my%20phone

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you sure about this? 

I agree with Dennis.  If Koodo changed this policy, another "good things about Koodo" is gone…

I have upgraded phone with my grandfather's plan ( It was Tab S plan) last September and I was able to keep my plan.

I was told that you can't keep your BYOD plan if you want to upgrade your phone on tab.  That is understandable.

If customer has an expired/grandfathered plan, it means they are with you that long. And they should get treated better when they upgrade their phone especially if they have a plan with minimum required price.

Userlevel 6

Are you sure about this? 

I agree with Dennis.  If Koodo changed this policy, another "good things about Koodo" is gone…

I have upgraded phone with my grandfather's plan ( It was Tab S plan) last September and I was able to keep my plan.

I was told that you can't keep your BYOD plan if you want to upgrade your phone on tab.  That is understandable.

If customer has an expired/grandfathered plan, it means they are with you that long. And they should get treated better when they upgrade their phone especially if they have a plan with minimum required price.

There are several instances in which a customer cant’ keep the current plan, such as:

the plan does not have the required price for the tab type,

some grandfathered plans can not be associated with some specific tab types (like tab basic or tab mid)

the plan is not suitable for the area code of the current phone number,

the plan is expired;

We do advise our customers that “the current plan might be eligible for a renewal on certain Tabs” and that “Eligibilities may change.”