Koodo Community

Community

Unlimited Data Add-On

My main concern every month is going over my data limit. When I'm out with friends and taking photos, it's a hassle to have to wait all day to update a status via the facebook app because my data is not unlimited. I always have to wait until I get home in order to use my wifi. I believe that Koodo is one of, if not the, only phone companies that does not offer unlimited data use. Even baby companies such as Wind and Public Mobile, companies with sub par service, offer unlimited data for a reasonably cheap rate. I think the idea of having data be unlimited for a flat price a month is better than a pay as you use feature, which is what I have now. The idea for a pay as you use feature is good, but is a little pricey for someone who originally signed up with Koodo for their amazing service at cheaper rates. This still holds true, as I have been with Koodo for 3 years, never had any issues whatsoever. The only thing that would make my Koodo experience even better was to not have to worry about my data usage while I am out.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Actually... it's the other way around: Wind and Public are the [i]only companies who do offer unlimited data, and even they throttle. All Canadian carriers have done away with unlimited data, and it's not very likely that it will ever be re-introduced... your best bet is to wait if Koodo ever releases their 6GB plan again! Edit, oh I completely forgot my manners 😃 Welcome to the forum, Eyes! 🙂
Unless you have an extremely low amount of data, there is no reason to go over your data consistently. So, this makes me think you are doing things such as downloading a lot of apps, tethering or video streaming. So really, the issue here is you need to stifle your data usage. That being said, you have it wrong. There's only a couple that offer unlimited data and they throttled their speeds after a specific amount. There isn't a reason to provide unlimited data. You'd be lucky to find an ISP that offers some type of unlimited internet usage. I would really like to know what you are using on the internet to always be going over it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
AlexiKrov wrote:

Unless you have an extremely low amount of data, there is no reason to go over your data consiste...

Well, for all we know Eyes might be on a plan with only 100 MB 🙂 In that case it's not so difficult to go over...
Userlevel 6
AlexiKrov wrote:

Unless you have an extremely low amount of data, there is no reason to go over your data consiste...

@AlexiKrov: You bring some good points. However, to say that "[i]There isn't a reason to provide unlimited data" is your opinion with which many users would beg to differ, me included. You cannot just go out and simply apply your usage pattern to everyone. Some don't want data, some want a little and some want all they can have. Whether the opinion comes from you, from me or from anybody else makes no difference, everyone's data usage pattern is different. While Eyes suggestion will probably never be implemented (on any nationwide carrier, not just Koodo), some people would probably subscribe to such a plan if it was made available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
AlexiKrov wrote:

I wouldn't say it will never be implemented as it really depends on how big wind makes its coverage area. If they get it to a certain point the others will have no choice but to offer unlimited as well. I agree that it's needed as more things become cloud based and I think we will end up there eventually. I would love to see it as if I was always on my phones data connection and not wifi I would need it, between phone data and wifi I use over 60gb's most months.
Userlevel 6
AlexiKrov wrote:

Agreed with you 100% Kid! Although I still have my doubts about seeing unlimited data during my lifetime, I'll still cheer along for this to be implemented as I'd sure as heck subscribe too 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
AlexiKrov wrote:

It's really all dependent on the expansion of wind coverage area like I said, so I guess we should all be cheering wind on lol.
Userlevel 1
AlexiKrov wrote:

We will only see unlimited data when the government puts their foot down... Same happened with wired telephony. At first it was pay per use but the CRTC forced the telecom companies to offer unlimited local calling. I am one of those who firmly believe that when data and internet will be without bounds and limits, the online economy is going to explode in Canada.
Userlevel 6
AlexiKrov wrote:

While I don't see unlimited cellular data ever being offered on a nation-wide service provider anyway, like Topper said, I have to step up and agree with Alexi here. Smartphones are not intended to replace computers so cellular data doesn't need to be unlimited. If you want unlimited internet you should be looking to a home ISP and using your smartphone to check your email occasionally while away from wifi and maybe in absolute emergencies. For the rare occasion that you would actually need to use a smartphone to run your business (in which case, what are you doing with a consumer brand like Koodo? Get a business account and write it off on your taxes.) 2 GB should be sufficient. And if you're using it for recreational purposes the only question I can ask is why? Streaming video on those tiny screens is awful, can you even comfortably watch them with your friends/family? And the games are weak at best. Again though, it will never happen. No one seems to bring up the point that Koodo's parent company is Telus, a company that also provides home internet services. Therefore, it stands to reason that Telus (and it's subsidiaries) will not offer unlimited cellular internet as it would cannibalize sales of home internet packages. At the very least they would disable tethering like Wind and Public mobile do.
Userlevel 1
AlexiKrov wrote:

Curtules, let me address a few opinions you have expressed : 1. Smartphones are not intended to replace computers so cellular data doesn't need to be unlimited. If you want unlimited internet you should be looking to a home ISP and using your smartphone to check your email occasionally while away from wifi and maybe in absolute emergencies. This is not true at all. Saying this is just like saying that TV remote controls should not be mainstream because there were dials... When a better technology comes out, it is normal for it to replace the obsolete technology (wired internet in this case). Let me give you an example: Many countries in Africa have telephone and internet access thanks to the wireless technology. Should we tell them that wireless telecom is not meant to replace a wired telephone or wired internet ? This does not make sense. 2. For the rare occasion that you would actually need to use a smartphone to run your business (in which case, what are you doing with a consumer brand like Koodo? Get a business account and write it off on your taxes.) 2 GB should be sufficient. And if you're using it for recreational purposes the only question I can ask is why? Btw, even wired internet is now limited (for the past 10 years at least) for no reason at all. Because of this, canadian companies have their servers in other countries and outsource all the technological needs because bandwidth in the great white north is just way more expensive then everywhere else... 2 gb is not near sufficient and even other companies do not offer enough data to provide a viable and effective means for canadian companies to innovate in the net technologies because it is very cost ineffective... (My statement about the canadian net technology market booming was a general statement, not in anyway in linked with Koodo's target clientele). 3. Streaming video on those tiny screens is awful, can you even comfortably watch them with your friends/family? And the games are weak at best. HDMI output adapters... 4. Again though, it will never happen. That statement is partially true. The only time I would see this happen would be if either the CRTC adopts a rule forcing telecom companies (and that ain't gonna happen, the fellows running the CRTC lack complete knowledge in mobile and internet technologies) or that the government in place opens the doors to international companies or passes a law regulating the net techs.
Userlevel 6
AlexiKrov wrote:

100% agreed Don. Curtules, the world over would like to disagree with your statement that smartphones are not meant to replace computers. PC makers are pushing all financial/engineering resources they have to develop their mobile divisions since PC sales have been steadily lower year after year for the past few. Qualcomm is generating record sales/profits, while Intel is standing still with incremental updates to their desktop CPU offerings, and no real breakthroughs. Ask Asus where they see the most action in their facilities... Not sure the PC motherboard assembly line is jam packed with workers. Ask Foxconn what they're working on these days (except for securing their buildings...). And I'm not even mentioning Samsung. TVs are cool, but their bread+butter right now is the Galaxy line. And like Don mentioned, everywhere in the world where PC deployment is near impossible, a smartphone in the front pocket solves that.
Userlevel 6
AlexiKrov wrote:

I think that I might have lost the point of what I was actually trying to say, I didn't intend for my post to generate a tiny flame war. My point is that, for most Canadians, cellular data is still a luxury. The prices ARE too high for sure (or the data buckets are too small) but not enough people care enough about cellular internet to make the demand for unlimited internet reach the ears of the executives making these decisions.
Userlevel 6
AlexiKrov wrote:

I agree with you Curtules that in Canada, it might be considered a luxury and as such is artificially made too expensive. But demand is not the problem here. As we all know about everything cellular, high demand won't lead to reduces prices. It is only when people asked for less and less voice minutes that we got unlimited buckets. As long as people will [i]desire high amounts of data, it will keep selling at the premium price it is right now. Only when people demand less data they will give us more (because a weak demand for something widely available leads to a lower $/MB ratio). The executives care about selling their wares for the highest price they can get away with, nothing else.
Userlevel 1
AlexiKrov wrote:

No worries Curtules 😉 Topper and I like to debate and sometimes it seems like we come on strong (must be our french canadian heritage xD ). No flames here to extinguish.
Userlevel 1
AlexiKrov wrote:

The so called Wind Unlimited Data is not really one, If you refer to their Data Fair Usage Policy - Effective as of May 16th, 2012, I feel it kind of Gotcha http://www.windmobile.ca/wind%20docs/wind-fair-usage-data-050111.pdf#__utma=1.995196614.1357658470.1359574143.1359578200.9&__utmb=1.0.10.1359578367&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1357758928.5.4.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=wind mobile&__utmv=-&__utmk=113980807 They explained it otherwise!
Userlevel 6
AlexiKrov wrote:

Yep! Don and I love a good ol' fashioned lumberjack party complete with maple syrup and high-cholesterol, high-fat and high-sugar treats :oP lol!
Userlevel 1
AlexiKrov wrote:

Vive la cabane à sucre, les fèves aux lards, les patates fricassées pis les pètes de soeurs. xD
Userlevel 6
AlexiKrov wrote:

Les beans Don... les beans! On s'prend quelques p'tites [i]breezes du Sud peu de temps après par contre, et on doit alors s'éloigner un peu des autres, question de rester poli hahahaha!! :oP