Koodo Community

Community

Unlimited Data

Userlevel 1
With Telus I find myself spending 200 a month due to going over my data limit. If Wind Mobile can do unlimited everything for only 39 dollars a month you guys can certainly do it. Telecommunications companies have a bad tendency to sit on their networking infrastructure, to rarely upgrade, to rarely innovative, and to hike up rates because options are limited for consumers.

39 replies

Userlevel 7
I find that wind is only effective if you stay in the same place all the time. Koodo offers canada wide plans. Also please search before posting this was just brought up yesterday and multiple times before. Its good that you want to contribute, simply add a +1 to yesterdays unlimited data post. Thanks 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Kim wrote:

I find that wind is only effective if you stay in the same place all the time. Koodo offers canad...

Have you been a customer of Wind or is this hearsay?
Userlevel 1
Daniel Kim wrote:

I find that wind is only effective if you stay in the same place all the time. Koodo offers canad...

I was in the Barrie ON (south store) yesterday to price out their data plan.
Userlevel 7
Daniel Kim wrote:

Nope not me Ivan, my friends are on Wind and are frequently complaining about the coverage.
Userlevel 4
Does no one read the previous posts about this?
Userlevel 6
Well, Public also though they could, so did Mobilicity. One was already sold the other is bankrupt and Wind's Rusiian backers said no more money to you. So, no one yet showed they can do unlimited data in this country and survive. 🙂 It's a pretty huge country with very few people so the infrastructure cost are signifcantly higher than say in tiny European countries with lots of folks living there. Also, unlimited data on your phone would mean no more need for ISPs since I could just use my phone as a hotspot. That's likely another reason amongst the many phone companies don't want to rush into this. Just my 2 cents.
Chris Petersens wrote:

Well, Public also though they could, so did Mobilicity. One was already sold the other is bankrup...

Chris I have to agree with you on this.. there would be no need for ISPs
Chris Petersens wrote:

Well, Public also though they could, so did Mobilicity. One was already sold the other is bankrup...

Well, seeing how a lot of the phone companies also provide your home internet, it makes sense they would rather screw you twice...
Chris Petersens wrote:

I have Telus,Mobility and Telus Home Service for landline, Wi-Fi, and internet. My mobility contract is up in April. If I use my Alcatel Idol3 cellphone to switch to Koodo am I able to keep the same phone number?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

Of course you can keep your number, Linda. May I suggest that if you have any more questions, you start a new thread? This one is 4 years old... thanks 🙂
Userlevel 3
With Wind Mobile they're supposed "unlimited data" is misleading. They slow your bandwidth down after so much data useage. Oh and to add this breaks the CRTC enforced by the governement. No cell phone company offers unlimited data. Oh and to put the icing on the cake Wind Mobiles great coverage map..... *coughs! Well have fun with Wind soon as you step outside a city and hit a dead zone wouldn't surprise me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

With Wind Mobile they're supposed "unlimited data" is misleading. They slow your bandwidth down ...

Even worse, with wind they're not usually dead zones, they're roaming zones.
Userlevel 3
Rocky Balboa wrote:

With Wind Mobile they're supposed "unlimited data" is misleading. They slow your bandwidth down ...

Forgot it's unlimited local calling! Good catch Timo!
Userlevel 3
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Forgot it's unlimited local calling! Good catch Timo!
Userlevel 1
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Wind throttles at the 5Gs mark, so in reality its a 5G Plan for $50.00. So given Wind's lack of coverage, Koodo Canada Wide 6G @ $60.00 no throttling and exceptional coverage is hands down, BEST VALUE!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Where's that 6 GB plan? I can't seem to find it anywhere on Koodo's website.
Userlevel 1
Rocky Balboa wrote:

Grandfathered since August 2010(?). Originally started as base plan with long distance, favorite 5 #'s and other add ons.
Rocky Balboa wrote:

I have to admit trying Wind for a month. It works well once connected. but when I really needed my phone it let me down. So I agree with Rocky
Badge +4
If WIND didn't have unlimited data, they'd be under the gun for false advertising. The fair usage policy kicks in AFTER you've gone over the 5 or 10 GB data limit within your billing cycle. They don't cut you off, they throttle back internet speeds, which is why they can justify their claim as the only provider with unlimited data. The CRTC clearly states that; a service provider must not limit the use of a service purchased on an unlimited basis unless these limits are clearly explained in the fair use policy. WIND explains their fair usage policy quite clearly, so they are not in violation of the Wireless Code. As for expansion, WIND has been fighting an uphill battle the day it entered into this country. I have to give credit where it's due. WIND has done exceptionally well for itself, considering the adversity this company has had to endure over the years and even to this day. That said, 675,000 customers can't be wrong. One of the reasons VimpelCom decided not to fund WIND's purchase of the 700 MHz spectrum, was because of ongoing conflict over Ottawa’s foreign investment rules that, to date, have prevented it from taking formal control of the small Canadian carrier. It will be interesting to see what materializes in the months to come. Aside from that, it's 'business as usual' and WIND continues to forge ahead, despite its decision to withdraw from the auction. For those that don't travel outside of 'zones', the savings to be had are exponential. A lot of people are getting tired of the nickel and diming tactics that the big three continue to employ, particularly with data and see WIND as a cost-effective alternative. I'd really like to see WIND become the fourth national carrier/competitor and give the big three a run for their money. My nickels' worth... pennies are obsolete 🙂
Userlevel 1
round that up to a dime rikkster. So your saying Ottawa has issues with the foreign company taking over the Canadian company that its pouring the money into? And yet the Canadian government, all but invited, Verision to come in and set up shop. So much for the appearance of the goverment wanting to appear as though they want 'healthy cell phone competition' in Canada that ok'd the Telus/Virgin Deal. Passive Canadian Culture is a money maker for sure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Moto G wrote:

round that up to a dime rikkster. So your saying Ottawa has issues with the foreign company takin...

I love how "national security" gets thrown around when discussing foreign companies such as Huawei (Chinese) and VimpelCom (Russian by share majority, but Norwegian Telenor owns 43%) but Verizon apparently poses no national security risks because we all know that the US government is a totally benign entity with nothing but peace, love, and harmony to share. I mean, can't NSA stand for "no strings attached"? 😉
Moto G wrote:

round that up to a dime rikkster. So your saying Ottawa has issues with the foreign company takin...

Huawei is the one who built the Bellus network too.
Userlevel 1
I don't think anyone expects truly unlimited data but a throttled back plan after a certain quota would bring a lot of business to Koodo. If Wind can do it, so can Koodo. I have unlimited anytime minutes with Koodo but I don't talk on my phone all day or even an hour a day - I just like not having to think about how much this call is going to cost me or when my allotment of minutes might run out. Same could be done with data, make a plan with no overages, just an aggressive slow down.
Userlevel 6
Steve wrote:

I don't think anyone expects truly unlimited data but a throttled back plan after a certain quota...

Have you tried Wind's speed though? I just check on my koodo phone and my download speed is 8.8Mb/s. I have one friend with Wind and always complains about the speed and at last time he said the best he could get was around 500kb/s. We have the same phones. so, unlimited at dial-up speed doesn't work for me. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Steve wrote:

I don't think anyone expects truly unlimited data but a throttled back plan after a certain quota...

Believe it or not, 500 kbps is still 10-20 times faster than dial-up.