Koodo Community

Community

Unlimited Data 12-5 A.M.

Allow unlimited data downloads in the wee hours (something like from 12 - 5 am) of the morning when most people are in bed, thus encouraging people to download larger files during the night, which would take some load off the peak times during the day. It would help to balance things out you would keep the data limited (charged) during the daylight hours but then have open skies during the night... Just a thought...

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Good idea and it is reasonable.
And whose going to pay for the extra bandwidth? There is no reason to offer unlimited data on a mobile connection. If you want to download larger files, do so over wifi. Mobile internet is meant to be used on the go, not consume large amounts of it in one sitting.
Userlevel 1
Marcus Fenix wrote:

And whose going to pay for the extra bandwidth? There is no reason to offer unlimited data on a m...

Your arguments are sophistry for A to Z... Where does it say that : a) There is no reason to offer unlimited data on a mobile connection ? b) If you want to download larger files, you have to do it over wifi ? c) Mobile internet is to be used only "on the go" ? Instead of just shutting down people abruptly, at least substantiate your arguments with a little bit more than just "this and that, period"...
Marcus Fenix wrote:

And whose going to pay for the extra bandwidth? There is no reason to offer unlimited data on a m...

a) Way too costly to implement an unlimited bandwidth. There is no pros to this from a business stand point. While Koodo does offer the option of mobile internet, it is in no way the same as home internet and it shouldn't be treated like home internet. b) If you don't want to use your mobile connection to download bigger files to your phone then do it over wifi or download to a computer and then transfer via cable connection. c) If you seriously need this explained to you, maybe you need to go back to school. Internet is not free and a lot of mobile users seem to think it is. Whose going to pay for all that extra bandwidth? Every single customer because of raising costs. Bottom line, unlimited internet is a terrible decision for a discount mobile provider and the fact that it keeps getting requested is annoying because today's consumer is "all about me".
Userlevel 1
Marcus Fenix wrote:

A) You do realize that bandwith is NOT finite but that SPEEDS are... On a business standpoint, unless you are a VP in Koodo, you have nothing to say mate... (everyone is entilted to their opinion without have some self-entitled bloke coming arrogantly and shutting everyone's idea) and btw, LTE is faster than most home internet connections... 😎 What if your phone is your computer ? With MHL and male micro usb to female usb, the line between mobile and home is disappearing rapidly. If it wasn't for our baby boomers, statistics show that the other generations are either migrating towards mobile or just started with mobile as "home phone" and "home internet" connection... C) Honestly, this just shows more and more how arrogant you are. Before thinking you are Mr. KnowItAll, prove it... In conclusion, point C) sums up pretty much everything I think (and a lot of other people in this forum) feel about the rest of your intervention and most of your interventions...
Marcus Fenix wrote:

You should take your own advice then Don, as per what you stated in A. Quite frankly, it's incredibly arrogant to come down on someone else's opinion. I presented my reasons why unlimited mobile data isn't fesable nor should it be an option. Just because you don't agree with them does not give you the right to be a complete dick to me.
What I meant more was to divert some of the data usage that's already happening to hours where the peak isn't so high, thus benefiting the servers. I think this would help the system to handle more bandwidth without expanding the capacity. Offering this would be a way of encouraging customers to relieve the system somwewhat in the peak hours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hello Jared. I appreciate your idea, but most of the time during those hours you are in bed right? And you surely have wi-fi at home. Also, I think it's like this for most of cellphone users. Therefore, I don't think it is a good idea. Personally, I am on wi-fi most of the time. The only "advantage" I see to this is that people will start torrenting big files over the internet during those times. So, honestly, I don't think you want this happening. With LTE speeds, sure it'll be great to torrent files. But hell no that I will pay extra money for the bandwith everyone will use during those hours.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I love the idea and it wouldnt cost koodo any more to allow this other than setting up the system to recognize this free timeframe. To those who said you should use your wifi, you obviously dont realize how many areas in Canada dont have wifi available to them unless done over the air which is exactly the same as doing it over your cell anyways. Why have ppl go elsewhere for that service when you could implement something such as this,and possibly gain those customers yourself which would pay for use during regular hours. It would make money and not cost any more than the one time fee of setting up the system recognition like I stated prior.
Userlevel 3
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

I love the idea and it wouldnt cost koodo any more to allow this other than setting up the system...

If you don't have a reasonable wifi access in your area this may be a good alternative. You could do Windows system updates at night while you sleep (or other O.S.) ... Not sure what the capacity is of Koodo's network. Could it support system updates, and movie downloads, and Dropbox syncing, etc. ? Maybe there would be unlimited night but with limited speed? If it turns out to be set too slow, or ends up being slow due to congestion, then there wouldn't be much benefit.
Userlevel 4

I love the idea and it wouldnt cost koodo any more to allow this other than setting up the system...

Unlimited nights but limited speed? That sounds very reasonable 🙂
Userlevel 2

People constantly do system updates, download movies and sync to dropbox as is, I certainly do at least. I don't see why Koodo can't offer some sort of unlimited plan. Obviously their will be a cost involved to make it feasible, I don't think anybody is expecting unlimited data for free. Or, just bring back the 6gb plan, that's a decent sized amount of data that can be managed (with selective wifi use) to achieve all these types of things.