Koodo Community

Community

Solved

U.S. Roaming Add-Ons Gone?

As of the last few days, the old U.S. roaming add-ons are gone from the website (e.g. text 10ALL to 4545). Are they gone for good? Or can I still use them? The new Easy Roam U.S. seems like it's likely to cost me more money on my trip.

54 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The old add-ons are gone. All that is available from Koodo now is EasyRoam and the pay per use rates.
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

The old add-ons are gone. All that is available from Koodo now is EasyRoam and the pay per use ra...

Although the add ons appear to be gone...they are not! I called today and had the $45 unlimited monthly talk and text package added to start at the end of this month. Good thing I called. I was going to change providers!
Allan wrote:

The old add-ons are gone. All that is available from Koodo now is EasyRoam and the pay per use ra...

did you have to pay an extra $10 for calling?
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

Not that I am aware of. It was no problem at all. They acted like they had no intention of eliminating the add on. Just the option to add from your phone yourself. Makes no sense to me but as long as I can still get them I'm happy. $45.00 unlimited US and Canada talk and Text also, I go to the US for the winter. I am able to reduce my plan at home to the lowest level while I'm away. Its a win, win!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

We have found out that is being done for now when calling in. We are waiting on official policy to see what the final options will be.
Allan wrote:

Reply to Debbie.  I just found out that you DO NEED TO PAY THE [b]$10 over and above the "$45 unlimited US and Canada talk and text" add-on for calls [b]to the US. That was not my understanding when I added the - 3 day, and later the 30 day add-on ($20 & $45). I was charged an additional $44 for calls to the U.S. Koodo has removed the old U.S. add-on so I could not re-read the details. ???The add-on should have read "A Canadian calling in the U.S." I guess
Allan wrote:

I too am unhappy about the new easy roam package to the us...I will be away for 3 months and so would not use that ..So ..I have to call and get the $45 for 30 days ? Each month ? And there is a $10 extra charge ??
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

From the conversation I had with them I believe you can book the pkg. for the whole 3 months in the one call. Also I don't think they add on the $10.00 extra charge. They shouldn't since there is no other way of adding this package on now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

If you're going to be gone for 3 months then I suggest either Roam Mobility or Mint Mobile. You can buy 3 months of unlimited talk text and 2gb atm for 45USD total from them and there's higher data for 5-10 a month more. I believe 10gb is currently 25 a month?
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

I have purchased the Roam Mobility Talk, Text and Data 3 month Snowbird pkg. for my husband. You can't beat it for the price. Includes unlimited data. The problem again is the U.S. number. I will keep my Kodoo Cdn. number and add the text and talk pkg. This way my husband and I can communicate if separated, all my family and friends can call and text my Cdn. number. My US friends call my husbands number and don't get long distance charges and we can call businesses and services in the US and they actually call you back because its a US number and not long distance. Yes, this costs us about $90.00 cdn. a month but worth it to us to have the convenience of both phones. both numbers and unlimited data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

You can use Fongo or Text now to get a Canadian number and use data / WiFi as well if you cannot use services to communicate.
Allan wrote:

Can I purchase a 3 month roaming mobility pkg for just unlimited text and talk ..no data...as I did before on the roaming pkg ($45/30days) ?? And can I keep my Canadian no ?? Thank you...
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

Yes you can. I just did yesterday. Call them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Of course you can call Roam Mobility...or do you mean via Koodo? You definitely keep your Canadian number if you want to.
Userlevel 1
Allan wrote:

I was talking about Koodo. Talk and Text $45 cdn, for 30 days. Keep your Canadian number. Call them! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Allan wrote:

Joanna asked. Also you don't have to leave Koodo to use Fongo or any other VoIP service that gives you a Canadian number. I do it regularly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I thought the EaseRoam would save you more than the previous addon. $7/1day vs $40/4days and you could use your minutes and data from your plan as you were in Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

I thought the EaseRoam would save you more than the previous addon. $7/1day vs $40/4days and you ...

It doesn't save on ones like the $15 for 7 days of unlimited texting or whatever price it was.
Userlevel 4
Dinh wrote:

I thought the EaseRoam would save you more than the previous addon. $7/1day vs $40/4days and you ...

Hey to All,

Easy-Roam is designed  for a convenience and not for savings. At least that's what I think.
Dinh wrote:

$40 actually got you 10 days of unlimited calling and texting plus 250Mb of data. So, if you use your phone every day for 10 days with the new option, that's $70, not $40, an increase of 75%. And unless I'm mistaken, if you send a single text each day for 10 days, you will pay $70 to send 10 texts. Not exactly designed with the customer in mind. But hey, they called it Easy Roam, so it must make your life better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

@jason2014: True, it is not working for you in your case. Maybe Koodo should bring back few other options beside easy roam.

If a user travels to US in intermittent short trips, 3,4 days then back, and then go again, then easyroam is good, they don't have to be restricted by 10days period. I also got 5GB of data/month, using data from that bucket is better than 250MB/10days.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

if you send a single text each day for 10 days, you will pay $70 to send 10 texts

But if you only send a few texts, then don't use EasyRoam, just use pay-per-use of $5 for 100 texts.

Dinh wrote:

That was just a hypothetical worst case scenario. My point is, there are a lot of situations where the $7/day ends up more expensive. So, I'm not sold on them. You don't always know when you'll need data or air time. I say, bring back the packages.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

Koodo properly will, Telus has several packages beside easy roam. Competitors also separated various roaming packages. Fido  has FidoPulse plans(with fido roam) and normal plan (without fidoroam).
Dinh wrote:

"Competitor"