Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Two entries under data use, but I have only one plan and no add-ons.

Yesterday, the first day of my billing cycle, I changed from the $40 Canada Wide Data plan to the $60 one. I do not have any add ons. I have just checked my usage on Self Serve. There are two different lines for my usage. One reads Nationwide Data 23/2048 MB and the other reads Nationwide Data 46/250 MB. Why is the second entry there?(There is a third entry for the old plan: 3/200 MB.)

18 replies

When you change your plan sometimes the account takes some time to adapt to the change, even if it was the first day of your billing cycle, I would contact Koodo and ask them which one is the correct amount of data calculation, so you don't go over your data plan.
Matthew McRoberts Piccolo wrote:

When you change your plan sometimes the account takes some time to adapt to the change, even if i...

Thanks. I have contacted Koodo.
Userlevel 2
[b] This is proration. You changed your plan so you get the prorated data amount from old plan and a prorated data amount from the new plan 1. When is the first day of your billing cycle? 2. if you make any plan changes, the best day to do it is the first day of your bill cycle so any proration will occur like this. Example if your billing cycle starts the 1st of the month and you changed the plan the 15th. You will have only 1024mb of data until your next cycle. i guess if you call *611 option 2 you will get more accurate data info so you know how many data you have until the end of your billing cycle. which it should appear soon on your self serve account.
Xavier wrote:

[b] This is proration. You changed your plan so you get the prorated data amount from old plan an...

You didn't answer my question at all. This has nothing to do with proration. I understand what proration is. The third entry I mentioned is the proration. My questions was why the second entry is there at all. I have called *611 and have been told that the second entry is a system error and should disappear.
Userlevel 4
Xavier wrote:

[b] This is proration. You changed your plan so you get the prorated data amount from old plan an...

Xavier...data is NOT prorated. That is the only service proration does not apply to.
Userlevel 2
Xavier wrote:

i used the word prorated instead of allowance... Tyler gave you a great answer down there. There is no such a system error. We can tell
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Xavier wrote:

"Xavier 2 hours ago This is proration. You changed your plan so you get the prorated data amount from old plan and a prorated data amount from the new plan Example if your billing cycle starts the 1st of the month and you changed the plan the 15th. You will have only 1024mb of data until your next cycle. " This is not a case of simply using the wrong word. You are definitely saying that data is prorated. It's not.
Userlevel 4
There is no system error... "One reads Nationwide Data 23/2048 MB and the other reads Nationwide Data 46/250 MB." The 46/250 MB was part of the old plan. The old plan you were on was $5 for addition 250 MB. not too sure why that would have kicked in considering you mentioned "There is a third entry for the old plan: 3/200 MB" which is the data allowance from the old plan. (already known 😛 ) The Nationwide Data 23/2048 MB is part of your new plan (which you already know) When a plan is changed in the middle of a cycle and because data is the ONLY service that is NOT prorated, this sort of thing happens. Definately not a system error. I see stuff like this all the time in tech support.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

There is no system error... "One reads Nationwide Data 23/2048 MB and the other reads Nationwi...

The plan was changed on the first day of my billing cycle (as I stated in my initial post). If this is not a system error, what is it? Am I going to have to pay for something extra I don't want?
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

There is no system error... "One reads Nationwide Data 23/2048 MB and the other reads Nationwi...

Well according to the stats, you aren't paying for anything except the proration you are already aware of. The data, by the looks of your post was never billed as you were under the usage limit in all categories. As for the lack of an error, it is all part of the back end systems at Koodo when the plan was changed during the cycle.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

On my Koodo app this is what I see: Nationwide (Current) 24/2048 MB Nationwide - Tier 1 (Current) 46/250 MB Nationwide (Previous) 3/200 MB (Reflects only previous rate plan or add-on usage.) Total chargeable amount $0.91 Is the $0.91 the proration for my old $40 plan?
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Based on what you posted, One would think that. Looking at the usage, there are no overages at all, so no overage charges. I would look at the details on the bill itself, not the app. Log into your Self Serve on your computer and open up the bills there.
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

The information in my initial post was from Self Serve on my computer. The information I gave from my Koodo app was from my Koodo app. I want to know what that $0.91 refers to. And I want to know why the "46/250 MB" appears on the statement since it's not part of the new plan. The statement says I used 3/200 MB on the old plan. I still don't have answers to either of these questions, except that Koodo told me that the "46/250 MB" is a system error and should disappear.
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Pretty sure I answered that already...That 46/250 MB no longer has any relevance to your current plan since the 46/250 MB was part of the old plan's overage rate. As to why it appeared like that is due to the back end systems when a plan is change during a cycle as I brought up earlier. That $0.91 would not be a part of the data calculations you posted as it shows there are no overages. is that amount showing on a bill or is it being displayed in the current cycle you are in?
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Thanks for trying to help with this. If it no longer has any relevance, why is it showing up as usage in the current plan? It is showing up under "current bill" under "Data included in your rate plan and add-ons". The $0.91 does not show up on the computer, it shows up on the app as part of the current cycle. Please explain what " the back end systems" means.
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

Back end systems are used internally. They are the automatic tools used when caclulating data usage, minutes, messaging, bill processing, network related situations, etc. Basically, they are the systems that make Koodo run...more or less.
Userlevel 3
correct me if im wrong Tyler but I thought data was prorated. Assuming you have a 2GB PP and you change your PP in mid bill cycle (15th day in). Lets say to the $40 canada wide 200MB PP. so what you saying is you'll get the 200MB until the end of the cycle and not 100MB?I always assumed your data useage gets prorated. (% of the useage gets alloted until the end of the billing cycle)
Userlevel 4
Rocky Balboa wrote:

correct me if im wrong Tyler but I thought data was prorated. Assuming you have a 2GB PP and you ...

It is a common mistake. Data is the only service that is not prorated. I have seen many accounts when I was in customer service and now in tech support that did not show data prorated at all.