Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Traveling to england

Is there a plan I can use for one week, while on vacation in england, or do I have to purchase a sim card in england?  I just want to be able to text my family in Ontario

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi Janet,

You can get the international roaming add-on 15$ gives you 75 outgoing texts. This is your best option if all you want to do is send the occasional text. 
Thanks for replying. Would there be a charge for incoming texts from another country?
Userlevel 7
Janet wrote:

Thanks for replying. Would there be a charge for incoming texts from another country?

Incoming messages are free
Janet wrote:

With the International roaming add on $15, if I text someone in the UK, while I am in the UK, is that still part of my international roaming package?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Janet wrote:

That is correct.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If your phone is unlocked, I'd just grab a cheap Lebara or Vodafone prepaid SIM. They sell them at airports. You can usually get 1GB of data for 5 pounds sterling. Much better deal than any roaming package will offer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
That way you can use messaging apps or Fongo o Textnow to keep in touch back home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you are going to use Koodo roaming, make sure you set things up before leaving Canada to avoid no-service issues.

Check your plan add-ons in self-serve. Enable international voice roaming and international data roaming then restart the phone. Some people have complained they can’t find one or the other add-ons by using the Koodo app on the phone itself. In that case, use your browser and connect to self-serve that way. Both are listed at $0 per month and are needed in order to make any kind of connection outside North America. Apparently just doing the 00TEXT or 00BUNDLE to 5242 is not enough in some cases.
Instructions are at

http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling

Bundle or pay per use as you wish. If you are using a bundle, make sure to send the activating text while you are still in Canada. Expect a confirming text in return.

You also have the option of unlocking your phone and using a local SIM if that will be more advantageous. Some of the info is not completely up-to-date, but it’s a good start:

http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

[Thanks to Robert].