Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Thinking of buying a getting a phone but don't know which is the best plan for me. Don't need data. Just texting and calling

What would be the best phone for me

13 replies

Userlevel 4
Definately not a high end phone. Any phone worth $300 or less would suffice. https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/models/index.html
Userlevel 7
NEXUS 4! It's an awesome phone and it's very affordable too! You could consider koodo prepaid or a canada wide talk and text plan if data is not an issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Daniel Kim wrote:

NEXUS 4! It's an awesome phone and it's very affordable too! You could consider koodo prepaid or...

I think it may be too much for what he's asking. $300 isn't a bad price for that phone but it's kind of like trying to sell a sport bike to someone who wants an electric scooter to get around town.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It really de penas how much you want to spend and what OS you want to use Android, IOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry. If your going to use it mainly for talk and text then a lower priced phone is all you need and koodo has many offerings for lower priced Android devices and one Windows Phone which any would do what you want very well so really its just your preference of how the phone looks and feels in your hand. If you want to be able to play games on it & browse the Web quickly without the phone lagging and $300 is a fine price for you then Id recommend the Nexus 4 as well or if you play to pay for the phone outright take a look online at the Nexus 5 available straight from Google in the Google PlayStore where its only $349 for the 16gb model in either black or white, however it will a take a couple weeks to ship to you right now.
Userlevel 7
Any device will do calls/texts for you but is there a particular OS you would prefer? Nexus 4 was mentioned for Android already. If you want customization and a powerful feature set, this is the way to go. Fantastic bang for the buck device. It's very fast, responsive, comes unlocked and supports pentaband frequencies should you need to travel, will get OS updates very quickly, and has a decent camera. The Desire 601 is something to look into too, since it has Boomsound speakers, Blinkfeed, and some cool camera tricks with Zoe. Plus Sense 5 is one of my favourite Android skins (but that's subjective). For Apple's user friendly model and premium build, the iPhone 4 is still available if you look around. It's $300 retail (so free on a medium Tab) but it's a pretty old phone and is starting to show its age. It'll still do what you need it to and is pretty straight forward as an OS goes, but I wouldn't recommend it personally. Don't hesitate to buy a BB 10 device. From a pure communication standpoint, the Q5 is a great option because of the Hub feature to keep all of your stuff organized. Plus it has a responsive, clicky keyboard. Pretty underrated, in my opinion. If you're on a tight budget, the best phone Koodo offers for entry-level is the Lumia 520. Windows Phone is similar to iOS in its simplicity but it behaves very differently. It's only $150 retail or free on a small Tab. Has good specs for the price it sits at and works well. Straightforward and cheap!
Userlevel 6
Kevin, if I might add my 2 cents, give consideration to pre-owned phones. I have ordered 2 myself in the past, both from Koodo, and they looked exactly like brand new phones. You can save quite a bit of money too 🙂
Userlevel 5
As for plan wise, since you don't need data, you can choose the Talk and Text plans that vary from $30-$50. If you don't use many minutes and mainly text, you may want to try out Prepaid!
Thanks everyone for the help so far. Greatly appreciated. With regards to the phones: is there one more durable than others. I work outside everyday and i need something that will handle the weather conditions
Userlevel 6
kevin lowes wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help so far. Greatly appreciated. With regards to the phones: is there o...

Kevin, look into a rugged case, like the Otterbox series! They've been lifesavers for many people! There are many other brands, Otterbox is just the most known of them!
Userlevel 5
kevin lowes wrote:

Thanks everyone for the help so far. Greatly appreciated. With regards to the phones: is there o...

Secconding the Otterbox. They just came out with some slimmer waterproof cases as well (only for the iPhones and Galaxy S4 though). http://www.otterbox.com/preserver-series/preserver-series,default,pg.html
Userlevel 7
kevin lowes wrote:

Thirding the need for a case! But prefer checking Amazon or Ebay for not only better prices but more selection. If you choose an android device and have a hard time finding a case, look around to see if maybe your phone has another name. For instance the Galaxy Ace IIX is AKA Galaxy Trend. And the S2x is AKA Galaxy Hercules.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
kevin lowes wrote:

The Nokia Lumia 520. I use it for fitness tracking when riding my bicycle and it's made contact with the concrete several times (thanks to the wonderful state of roads and bike trails in London). And the only thing I've managed to damage was the plastic back and that's just a few minor dings (replaceable). I use it with no case. This is my go to recommendation for an entry level phone. It'll perform better than any other platform at this price point. If you want a physical keyboard (though the Lumia's virtual keyboard is fantastic), go with the BlackBerry Curve 9230.